Menu

Book for an almost reader

happypamama

I need a Christmas gift book suggestion for my 5yo son. He is juuuuuuuust on the cusp of being able to read; he is motivated and interested but is only just able to remember some of the sounds yet. I think full reading will be coming soon. What can I get him that will be enjoyable, maybe just a bit of a challenge, but not too much? I would have suggested Little Bear or Frog and Toad, but this is child #3; we have all of LB and F&T. Something along those lines, though -- a good classic.

Are You My Mother?

Flap Your Wings.

Those were the first two real book my kid read. I was excited because they were something like fourty two pages. They were great because they were funny. In Flap Your Wings two birds hatch an alligator egg. They try to teach their son to fly, but they're proud when he learns to swim instead.

Danny the Dinosaur!

That is one of the suggestions that popped up on amazon -- I think I might get that one, since one of the brothers is Danny. :)

Are You My Mother?

Flap Your Wings.

Those were the first two real book my kid read. I was excited because they were something like fourty two pages. They were great because they were funny. In Flap Your Wings two birds hatch an alligator egg. They try to teach their son to fly, but they're proud when he learns to swim instead.

Thank you; I hadn't heard of Flap Your Wings, and it sounds adorable! It sounds right up 5yo son's alley. :D

My son loved Biscuit books when he started out reading. But they outgrow those so fast.

Something that my son loves that is not particularly boyish are the little house picture books. They have a few with Almanzo Wilder in them.

I also highly recommend the Usborne complete farmyard tales. It is my sons favourite book of all time! There are 20 short and simple stories in it. Great for a new reader and for buddy reading. He can read the book by a simple sentence along the top of the page. Or you can read the more difficult sentences along the bottom of the page. Or you can just enjoy looking at the pictures. The book is over 300 pages long and my son flips through it almost every day.

Since you have the old classics, I put in another vote for Elephant and Piggie.  They really will be "classics" by the time your kids have their own kids.

Fly Guy is another that would almost certainly be enjoyed.  I can't say if it's headed for classic status, but kids adore them and they're very easy to read.

Thank you, everyone -- I love the great suggestions!  Oh my goodness, Alte Veste -- he would probably love the Star Wars one!  (The joy of being the third child -- you learn about everything earlier.)  Then I see that there's a Batman one too; he LOVES Batman too!

We have and love Biscuit and some of Mo Willems' books too; IDK why I didn't think to check Willems' list.

Well now, I see that I have gone from no ideas to too many, LOL!  Too bad I can't buy them all.

Be aware that the reading level for some of the books mentioned is way above where a beginning reader would be. They are not phonics based books, and contain what people call "sight words."  Cynthia Rylant's Henry and Mudge and Mr. Putter and Tabby, while having just a few sentences on each page, are actually second grade reading level books. (Here)

Be aware that the reading level for some of the books mentioned is way above where a beginning reader would be. They are not phonics based books, and contain what people call "sight words."  Cynthia Rylant's Henry and Mudge and Mr. Putter and Tabby, while having just a few sentences on each page, are actually second grade reading level books. (Here)

That's okay! That way, he won't outgrow them too quickly. :) (I settled on the Batman phonics set and a Billy and Blaze book; I think he will like both, and there should be a good balance of "something he can figure out on his own" and "good challenge to keep him interested and motivated." Also, I needed something for 2yo brother and got the Danny and the Dinosaur set for him; obviously, 2yo can't read it yet, but he'll love the name and the dinosaurs, and 5yo can read to 2yo, so 5yo will benefit from that too. :) )

Peggy Rathman's 10 Minutes 'till Bedtime

My 5 and 2yo boys ADORE that book! It is really great for that age group!