Menu

ADHD meds: Kinds? Pros/Cons?

Hi all,

We now have an official diagnosis of ADHD and dysgraphia.  The dysgraphia I expected; the ADHD, I did *not*!  His focus score was really, really low.  The psychologist that we worked with does not push labels (or med routes), but she felt that we really needed to explore the medication option with a psychiatrist given his scores.  She said the new meds on the market are better than the old ones (Ritalin).

We haven't had a chance to make an appointment with the doctor, yet, and I am wanting to go in to the appointment a little more prepared mentally than I am right now, and wanting to hear from some families who are dealing with what we are.  What are the "new" meds on the market?  What are the pros and cons of them?  What questions should I even be asking???

TIA!
Jennifer 

New meds are not always better, it depends on the individual. Some kids (and adults) respond better to more traditional options such as ritalin.

We chose to use meds with my ADHD son. He is happy with them, they help him focus on the things he wants and needs too with minimal side effects. We use Metadate CD.  I am happy he is still my fun loving zany kid, just with focus.

I'm not anti-meds (because I think it's each person's business to decide), but it does seem to me like she could have at least mentioned sensory issues, allergies, nutrition, etc. that can affect it.  It's not like meds have to be the first or only option...  No they're not the same in effect, but still you do have options.  Since it wasn't even on your radar, maybe slow down and look at all the options, try a few things, see what you think?

I'm not anti-meds (because I think it's each person's business to decide), but it does seem to me like she could have at least mentioned sensory issues, allergies, nutrition, etc. that can affect it.  It's not like meds have to be the first or only option...  No they're not the same in effect, but still you do have options.  Since it wasn't even on your radar, maybe slow down and look at all the options, try a few things, see what you think?

Well... I've already been down all those roads, which we discussed extensively with the psychologist.  He has asthma, environmental allergies, food allergies, and sensory issues (he can't stand to touch paper, for instance, which is.... limiting).  He has been on restricted diets in the past (and less so currently), and though he no longer has anaphylactic reactions to egg and dairy, he still does to nuts/peanuts.  He had a ruptured appendix at 18mo, and (I believe) proprioceptive issues stemming from that. He is currently on asthma medication and takes allergy shots.  He's on Diane Craft's BOB vitamin regimen.  

ADHD wasn't on my radar because I personally didn't believe in it until 2 weeks ago when it slapped me in the face and his scores were so shockingly low.  He also doesn't present ADHD in the typical manner.  He is very impulsive, but he is not bouncing off the walls.  It wasn't on my radar because I was blind to it.  But... it explains a lot now that I understand what ADHD is and can look like--- particularly in my son.  It's the missing piece I was looking for.

He's 11, and I have been looking for answers through nutrition and sensory therapies since he was 3.  They're not enough, or they are just plain too complicated for me to tweak and use effectively--- I don't know which.  It often felt like I was seeing improvements because I wanted to see improvements.  These things are all rabbit holes, and I've been down a lot of them.  Considering I have tried the alternatives, read the books, gone to the seminars, switched curriculums for the last 8 years; it was time for professional help.

We were very careful to find a private psychologist who didn't go after certain labels, and she gave him a huge battery of tests ranging from learning/academic abilities to emotional and psychological.  I trust her.

So, I should probably rephrase my subject, because meds aren't really in question at this point for me.  Just which ones, what kinds, how they work, pros and cons. 

I'm following along because we may have reached the point of needing meds for my 14 year old. He's super smart, which has let him make up for the lack of focus for a long time, but as his workload gets greater the ADHD is becoming more of an issue. He's VERY reluctant to try them, thinks they will "brainwash" him, and he will be like a meth addict or something. (at least the anti drugs message has gotten through to him!). But I see him spending hours doing something that he should be able to do in a lot less time, and as he heads to highschool next year I think the frustration is going to be very very high. I'm thinking something short acting, that he could take when needed, just to focus on his harder subjects, would be the best choice for him. Any suggestions as to what those meds are?

The biggest difference I know of is that a lot of the newer meds are time-released.  For example, Ritalin is more of a "hit" on the system and lasts generally 4-6 hours depending upon whether your child has the short acting or extended release.  Vyvance, a new med, is supposed to be the same type of base as ritalin, but lasts for 12 hours.  The difference too is that ritalin is in and out of the system, which is more like riding up and down along a short wave pattern, whereas the Vyvance is a more gradual up and down.  That said, it was also recommended to take weekend breaks from the Vyvance.. The person I know who recently switched to Vyvance has trouble sleeping if he uses it too many days in a row.  I know Strattera is a very commonly used somewhat new med, but I don't personally know the benefits or drawbacks of it.

When we started my DD on medication, we noticed changes in her right away that made us wish we had started it earlier. Our DR at the time, who I really, really liked, preferred to start with varieties Ritalin because it has been around so long. his feeling was that the side effects were well known and well documented. When Daytrana (Ritalin in a patch) came out she was his first patient to try it. Once the dosage was figured out, this method of medicating was perfect for her. The medicine does take longer to get into the blood stream, levels stay more even during the day this way. She had a long ride to school in the mornings, so the longer time to take effect did not cause problems for us. Then she could take the patch off as soon as she got home and the medicine was still in her system long enough to get homework done.

The only side effect she ever had was the typical loss of appetite and she would have headache and stomach ache the first day of stopping the medicine after a long while of taking it.

She went off and on the medicine at many times over the years, sometimes at dr request some times at her request. By the time she was in high school, I pretty much left the decision up to her, and she. Could tell the types of situations that where helped by using the medication. She is away at college now (1st year) and as asked me about going back on because she thinks it will help her stay focused and do better in her courses.

My DD(8) has ADHD combined type as well as PDD-NOS and sensory issues.  I advice to you is a keep a diary of his behaviour when he does start on meds.  DD started out on Vyvanse and that particular med was the devil for her.  At 8 years old she went down to 38 lbs and was having horrible rages several times a day.  She is currently taking Focalin and Kapvay and so far we have a winner with this combination.  DD realizes how much better she does on the meds.  I think the key is finding the right med for him whether it be an older med or a newer one.

Susie

Meds can be a life changer. My girls take the much older Dexedrine with very good success. The difference, esp. for one of them is amazing.

My niece just started on a med for ADHD (can't remember which one) and has done great on it. The teachers at school all mentioned the differences, etc. and they didn't know she was being tested or trying medication. She likes it as it helps her focus.

Ritalin (methylphenidate) is still very much used! Concerta, Focalin, Vyvanse, Metadate, Daytrana, etc. are basically variations of Ritalin with a slightly different preparation. Other stimulants like Adderall are still similar.

There are some newer drugs that are not stimulants, but they have their own side effects. Intuniv and Strattera are two.

My oldest has a confirmed dx of ADD but while stimulants help her focus, she gets very tired if she misses a dose which our psych says is not typical. It also seems to exacerbate mood issues. She is now on nothing and I am hoping she figures out how to compensate. :(

My middle child responds VERY well to methylphenidate. He has some depression & anxiety that aren't helped by Zoloft, and managing his ADHD has the biggest effect. We did try Intuniv and it did nothing. He must take Clonidine to sleep. Actually, DD takes it too because it improves the quality of her sleep, which helps her moods.

My youngest was a poster child for ADHD and was dx immediately by our psych. His impulsiveness affected everything and it took a lot of creative parenting to avoid a situation where he was always in trouble. We finally tried stimulants when last spring and they made him rage. He is now taking an atypical antipsychotic (Abilify) and his symptoms are GONE. He appears totally normal now. I never would have guessed that it wasn't a clear cut ADHD thing.

Basically, you will want to start with what normally works, keep track of side effects and benefits, and tweak as needed. There is not one straight path.

My DD has tried multiple meds in the past 3 years. Metadate CD is the winner here. Almost two years on it now and still working well. It curbs her verbal/emotional impulsivity and helps her focus (both enormous challenges without meds). I regret not starting meds earlier. It has changed her life for the better in immense ways.

Best wishes!!

Ds15 got a Rx for concerta today.  When he was younger he was on ritalin, man I loved that little blue pill, he was a different child.  When he turned 12 it was not the right med for him anymore and he was weaned off but things have gone progressively downhill these last 3 years and I can't take it anymore, so here we go with meds again.  I am hoping to eventually get him on biphentin which is a Canadian made adhd med, but for now it is worth trying the concerta.  He goes in a couple weeks to see a shrink(the GP agreed to put him on the meds at my request in the meantime), so we will see what he eventually ends up on.

• 2 weeks later...

It is true there are "newer" meds, but really there are two general class of meds for ADHD: stimulant and non stimulant.  I have three kids with ADHD, one inattentive type, one combine type, and one that is hyperactive-impulsive with very few inattention symptoms. Btween the three we have tried 4 different meds, and really it has come down to individual chemistry.  Two are taking Adderall XR and one is on Concerta extended release.  We also have Ritalin in small dose that kids use as "boosters" for those days they also need to have their focus in the evening.  I was skeptical of medicating for many reasons, but I am happy we do.  They are happy we do as well, and will remind me if I forget their meds.  It has allowed them to focus attention and energies so that they can work more efficiently, but it has also improved their interactions with us, their friends, and other adults.  That, for me, is the biggest reason to keep giving them meds.  They are happier now, and received so much less correction and negative attention from people that their confidence has grown.  I also recommend you at least do some parent training with a psych, and include your child in that.