Menu

Sleep study for insomnia?????

Tammi K

I just received a phone call from my neurologist's office to schedule my upcoming sleep study. What???? He barely mentioned it in passing when I was int he office and now they are scheduling it.

I see a neurologist for severe migraines. It is pretty much a daily occurrence and I take a few different meds to prevent/control the problem.  Nothing is working all that well and I'm taking Imitrex way too often.  On my last visit he asked how well I sleep. I said that it takes at least an hour sometimes 2-3 to fall asleep and he said, "Perhaps a sleep study would be beneficial. I'll ask my colleague." That was they only mention made.

Forward to just moments ago when I was told by the office staff that 'Dr. wanted to schedule the study we discussed.' What I know is that our insurance won't cover a study so it would be out of pocket. The neurologists just moved into a new building (an old Borders  :sad: I loved that store) and have a brand new sleep lab in the building! How convenient, right?

So, I'm seriously wondering if a sleep study for insomnia is going to show them anything that will designate a prescription other than what I already have. If it's medically necessary, that's one thing. But, if I'm going to pay a fortune  (It looks like o-o-p will be about $500) to help meet their mortgage payment, I would rather opt out. They've already suggested Ambien but the side effects make me scared to try it, so I'm not sure how open I would be to additional meds anyway.

Any thoughts? (I already know I don't snore.) Any one have a study done for insomnia? Was it helpful? Did it help dictate treatment?

yes, do the sleep study.  I have a friend who has a terrible time with sleeping (getting and staying asleep).   She sleeps very little each night and she knew it wasn't apnea so she was very skeptical it would be helpful... but they discovered It is a neurological issue she has.  It is not RLS but is under a same medical umbrella. I'm sorry I cannot remember much about it other than than she told me they're doing a lot of research into sleep issues.  I think if you're having that much trouble they may be able to figure out why.

One of my  nieces had a sleep study and they found she had narcolepsy.  They gave her the appropriate medications and she says her life has changed completely for the better.  I realize that's not your problem; just pointing out the possible value of a sleep study.

My son had a sleep study which ruled a few things out.  Unfortunately he slept very well the night of the study - unlike at home - but I guess that told them something too. 

If you can do it, do it.  I've known a few people who've had them and no one has said it was a waste of time or money.

But if you think the doctor is doing it from poor motives, then maybe you should seek a second opinion.

I don't snore and they still discovered sleep apnea.  I sleep sooooo much better with a CPAP and many health problems (but not all) have gotten better.  My sleep study included monitoring my brain waves to see if I went into all sleep stages.  Some medications help you to go into deep sleep.  They will also see if you have restless leg syndrome (which I have) and which can make it very difficult to fall asleep.  Have you actually checked with the insurance to make sure they won't cover a sleep study ordered by your doctor?

I don't have any advice about the sleep study, but I've taken Ambien for a couple years and had no side effects at all.

That's good to hear. I've heard horror stories about people getting in their cars and driving off somewhere and not remembering it. Even the doctor told me not to take it until I'm ready to climb into bed because if I stayed awake I would be likely to do things I couldn't remember.

Here I was thinking I would have to have dh hide my car keys so I wouldn't go off tooling around town with my eyes closed.

:confused1: (That's me waking up in my car to find I had a 4th meal feeding frenzy at the local midnight drive-thru.)

That's good to hear. I've heard horror stories about people getting in their cars and driving off somewhere and not remembering it. Even the doctor told me not to take it until I'm ready to climb into bed because if I stayed awake I would be likely to do things I couldn't remember.

Here I was thinking I would have to have dh hide my car keys so I wouldn't go off tooling around town with my eyes closed.

:confused1: (That's me waking up in my car to find I had a 4th meal feeding frenzy at the local midnight drive-thru.)

LOL! My doc told me to make sure dh kept an eye on me the first couple nights I took it. I had heard crazy stories too! (I read about, um, energetic TeA sessions that weren't remembered) but honestly, I have never done anything that I don't remember doing. Sometimes I don't even sleep well with the Ambien! For me, there does seem to be a "window of opportunity" to fall asleep after taking it. If I don't fall asleep during that window (like if I don't put my book down) I won't fall asleep at all. YMMV, of course. You should definitely take precautions until you know how you will react. But honestly, it was a life saver for me when nothing else would work and I was not sleeping at all.

I was supposed to have a sleep study -- (because unaided, I get from zero to 2-3 hours of sleep per night for over thirty years now) -- however, I cancelled it.  I would have had electrodes fastened all over my head, and be placed into an utterly strange room.  The physical sensation of the electrodes (think sensory issues), combined with the unfamiliar surroundings, themselves would make falling asleep still more impossible.  I have given up completely.  Rozerem (hyper-dose of melatonin, essentially) is what my PCP felt was safe to take.  I used it for a couple of years until the insurance company dropped it from the list of approved medications.  Oh well.

Best wishes, OP.  I mean it ! 

I was supposed to have a sleep study -- (because unaided, I get from zero to 2-3 hours of sleep per night for over thirty years now) -- however, I cancelled it.  I would have had electrodes fastened all over my head, and be placed into an utterly strange room.  The physical sensation of the electrodes (think sensory issues), combined with the unfamiliar surroundings, themselves would make falling asleep still more impossible.  I have given up completely.  Rozerem (hyper-dose of melatonin, essentially) is what my PCP felt was safe to take.  I used it for a couple of years until the insurance company dropped it from the list of approved medications.  Oh well.

Best wishes, OP.  I mean it ! 

my friend said she got the worst night of sleep doing the test, but they were still able to get the data they needed to dx her.  You may want to reconsider.  It's not like you're sleeping like at baby at home anyway - right?

my friend said she got the worst night of sleep doing the test, but they were still able to get the data they needed to dx her.  You may want to reconsider.  It's not like you're sleeping like at baby at home anyway - right?

You likely are right that I should ask the doctor again for a referral.  By this point in time, though, paying any portion of it is impossible for us, because of other more important medical issues in the family, and other more important financial stressors.  I had figured back then, -- probably incorrectly -- that my staying awake for the entire episode would not provide any useful information. 

Are you positive your insurance won't cover at least a portion of it?

DH said he hardly slept at all during his sleep study, but it was still plenty for them to confirm he has apnea--and it was worse than the doctor expected.

Were you asking me?  I think that a portion of it would be covered; however, at this point, I barely can cobble together a $30 co-pay for normal visits!  Leftovers from insurance are not on the menu, I must be honest.

I don't snore and I had sleep apnea in my study and ton of upper airway resistance (coming out of a stage of sleep to protect aware before I actually had an apnea episode). Treatment has made a world of difference. My mother had restless leg and apnea. My son had some others.

Why won't your insurance cover a study? Does it require a certain fatigue level?