Menu

Favorite secular science curriculum that is open-and-go?

madteaparty

I glanced at the EXPLORE test science sample recently and started hyperventilating at the first page, so I shut it down and averted my eyes immediately :)

Is there a fairly open-and-go science curriculum you like for grade 4 and up? This semester he is only doing electronics, Lego League, as well as chemistry which is being taught by a former chemistry teacher.

I work part time and am not a very hands-on, "let's build a diorama" sort of person, so the right curriculum is key. We love Singapore Math and Galore park (both English and French) for their "open and go" nature.

Many thanks.

My son scored a very high composite (almost perfect) on the EXPLORE without a science curriculum. Seriously! The questions are mostly of reasoning/ data analysis in style. His elementary science was mostly good documentaries, BrainPOP videos + Happy Scientist videos, lots of living science books and dinner table conversations. I didn't follow a plan or schedule for the living science reading. We just followed his interests and he wasn't even required to write anything. We chose to do a few kitchen science experiments or demonstrations when needed but you can easily leave these for alternate weekends if you don't have time to be very hands on. Just a suggestion!

You may like Singapore Science (My Pals Are Here). It is mostly reading and workbooks, but these are well done. The critical thinking is excellent. I recommend getting the teacher's manual to get the most out of the program.

I'll second the Mr Q.'s Life Science linked to above.  I'm finding it very open-and-go and my dd7 is really enjoying it.  They also have Chemistry, Physical Science, and Earth Science at the elementary level.  

I don't think a 2nd grader needs to "study" science in a formal way, but my dd loves science and she was asking for more science than just our living books reading stack & Magic Schoolbus/Bill Nye videos, and I frankly just don't have the time to put together something for her from scratch.  I'm doing history, science, and writing from scratch for my 6th grader right now, and my head is about to explode.  So Mr Q's fits the bill:  it's easy to just open and go, it makes her feel like she's really "doing science" and it takes one thing off my plate to have to make up as I go along.  I'm really happy with it so far.

Another plug for Mr Q! We are using it for ES & A this year and it's been a great fit. My kids read the chapters on the iPad and then do the worksheets. I went through ahead of time and printed off all the worksheets we would need for the year and put a three-ring binder together for each kid. The activities and experiments are pretty manageable and so far I haven't needed to buy anything too unusual or crazy. He provides a lot of activities and experiments, so I pick and choose a bit. We made the moon cycle with Oreos yesterday :D

My oldest and I did not care for Singapore My Pals are Here Science when she used it but my 2nd child is using some of it this year and he really likes it. So I think it is a "hit-or-miss" curriculum.

Mr. Q is good but the elementary books might be a bit light for 4th grade & up.

I really like Evan-Moor Daily Science. At first glance it looks surprisingly cheesy, but it's not. The "Big Ideas" are serious science. I really prefer taking an older student quickly through the lower books starting with grade 1 to make sure they have mastered those topics, as the later levels build off of them.

I used a hardcopy of grade 1. I keep thinking about purchasing the entire set of Daily Science in ebook form. Because I felt like DS was the most efficient science teaching I ever did. I used the books as a spine and TM, not a workbook. I created Waldorf style copywork and got a lot of books from the library.

Mr Q is good. I got it for a good price. It works well on my iPad mini. It's good enough.

I have been looking at DS again though. I have the best memories of using DS. Just the best.

You can see large samples at Google books if you can find the titles. Some of them are mislabeled.

https://www.google.com/#q=evan-moor+daily+science&tbm=bks

I'd like to thank everyone again for the great suggestions. Because Galore Park is serving us well in both English and French, I ordered Junior Science 3 for now. I just really love that format. We already have a subscription to The Happy scientist, and I will check out some of the other resources listed. Thank you again.

I've tried a lot of these, as I'm a curriculum addict and science programs always tempt me (I guess along with everything else). For our current favorite open and go, I'd have to say Mr. Q Science hands down. We used Life Science which was free and so effective that I bought the rest of the series. Started Earth last month.. Most of the time we just use the student book but I look through the Parent book now and then and to read the end-of-chapter questions, print the Unit Tests, and do a few activities now and then. Everything else is a chapter a day in the Student Book, including the quizzes. We learn a lot from Mr Q and retain much.

Before Mr. Q we used Evan Moore Daily Science, which my daughter loves, but it just isn't as meaty as what she's learning in Mr. Q. Even so, we went through four years of EM Daily Science before shelving it for awhile. I'd have to give it another vote for the best Open and Go if your child prefers less reading.

I also use and like RSO Science, Singapore's My Pals Are Here, but I wouldn't tout them as the our favored open-and-go programs. When we used those science programs, we tended not to get to science every week, although they do have their advantages and I anticipate still utilizing them in the future somehow.

With everything, once a week we fire up BrainPop, Discovery Education Streaming, Happy Scientist etc... to reinforce what we're learning.

I've tried a lot of these, as I'm a curriculum addict and science programs always tempt me (I guess along with everything else). For our current favorite open and go, I'd have to say Mr. Q Science hands down. We used Life Science which was free and so effective that I bought the rest of the series. Started Earth last month.. Most of the time we just use the student book but I look through the Parent book now and then and to read the end-of-chapter questions, print the Unit Tests, and do a few activities now and then. Everything else is a chapter a day in the Student Book, including the quizzes. We learn a lot from Mr Q and retain much.

Before Mr. Q we used Evan Moore Daily Science, which my daughter loves, but it just isn't as meaty as what she's learning in Mr. Q. Even so, we went through four years of EM Daily Science before shelving it for awhile. I'd have to give it another vote for the best Open and Go if your child prefers less reading.

I also use and like RSO Science, Singapore's My Pals Are Here, but I wouldn't tout them as the our favored open-and-go programs. When we used those science programs, we tended not to get to science every week, although they do have their advantages and I anticipate still utilizing them in the future somehow.

With everything, once a week we fire up BrainPop, Discovery Education Streaming, Happy Scientist etc... to reinforce what we're learning.

Just wanted to say how nice it is to see you Angela. I've wondered how you were.

Bill

Just wanted to say how nice it is to see you Angela. I've wondered how you were.

Bill

I second that :)

My dd is slightly younger than yours and all your posts were so helpful when I was starting out. You shared lots of great ideas and advice!