Menu

WRTR not working, what should I do?

Coco_Clark

So I've read WRTR 3 times thru now and we've been implementing it for around a month.  I love the theory of the program...but it doesn't seem to be working in practice.

Problem 1. My son HAAAAAAATES it.  This is probably my problem, because I really don't know how to teach the phonograms outside drill or a few very basic "games" (which one of these 5 cards says "sh". The book never gives any suggestions other than "memorize these". So we drill them (introducing 5 or 6 new ones a week), 2x a day.  At the end of the week we "test" and all that he knows I put away, and all that he doesn't stay to be drilled 2x a day the next week.  

Problem 2. My son isn't learning them. He already knew all his single letter sounds so we blew thru that, but I don't think he's learned a SINGLE double letter phonogram yet.  He might get one or two right on Friday's test but then he's sure to not get them right the next Friday. Now he says he's "stupid" and he "hates reading." Most days the drill test either ends in tears and quitting halfway thru, or he shuts down and refuses to look at the cards saying "er" for every one. 

So I went back to doing Bob books (which we were playing with before WRTR) on the side. I know I'm not supposed to introduce reading books until he gets to a certain portion of the phonograms memorized but it kills me that now he absolutely despises reading and says he will never be able to do it. He was never like this before WRTR.  He loved learning his letter sounds (from the frog, mostly) and he feels confident and happy reading Bob books (can sound out CVC words easily).  

What should I do?  My husband wants me to dump WRTR.  He figures he made it to his 30s without ever memorizing the 5 sounds that /ou/ can make.  I kind of want to dump WRTR because it makes us ALL hate school.  But he has to learn to read.  And this works for so many families and gets such great reviews.  And I cannot afford another program.  And he needs to learn to read.    

You can always pick it back up later as a SPELLING program and use something else to teach beginning reading for now.

How to Teach Your Preschool Child to Read at Home is *FREE*.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/blumnfeld_home_primer.pdf

This is what came before How to Tutor, which came before Alpha-Phonics. If you like it, you can either just stick with this or upgrade to HTT or AP.

The Pdf download for HTT is $12.95 and includes handwriting and math.

https://howtotut.ipower.com/paradigm.htm

Kindle HTT is $9.99.

http://www.amazon.com/How-To-Tutor-Sam-Blumenfeld-ebook/dp/B006OF6D7O

We used it for 2 or 3 months (we were in the word lists). My first grader hated it too. I switched him to R&S Phonics and Reading, and he's loving that! Go figure.

There are free things available though. Progressive Phonics, I See Sam (first 52 only), Blend Phonics (Don Potter's website), etc.

I find that learning all the sounds of a phonogram at one time confuses my son. He does better learning one sound and some words, then another sound and some words, etc.

My other two kids have mostly taught themselves to read without extensive phonics in the beginning. I do teach extensive phonics via spelling for these kids. My young one has gotten some intermittent phonics when asking what a word is (I always explain why a word says what it does). My oldest learned mostly from Starfall.com (also free).

So I've read WRTR 3 times thru now and we've been implementing it for around a month.  I love the theory of the program...but it doesn't seem to be working in practice.

Problem 1. My son HAAAAAAATES it.  This is probably my problem, because I really don't know how to teach the phonograms outside drill or a few very basic "games" (which one of these 5 cards says "sh". The book never gives any suggestions other than "memorize these". So we drill them (introducing 5 or 6 new ones a week), 2x a day.  At the end of the week we "test" and all that he knows I put away, and all that he doesn't stay to be drilled 2x a day the next week.  

Problem 2. My son isn't learning them. He already knew all his single letter sounds so we blew thru that, but I don't think he's learned a SINGLE double letter phonogram yet.  He might get one or two right on Friday's test but then he's sure to not get them right the next Friday. Now he says he's "stupid" and he "hates reading." Most days the drill test either ends in tears and quitting halfway thru, or he shuts down and refuses to look at the cards saying "er" for every one. 

So I went back to doing Bob books (which we were playing with before WRTR) on the side. I know I'm not supposed to introduce reading books until he gets to a certain portion of the phonograms memorized but it kills me that now he absolutely despises reading and says he will never be able to do it. He was never like this before WRTR.  He loved learning his letter sounds (from the frog, mostly) and he feels confident and happy reading Bob books (can sound out CVC words easily).  

What should I do?  My husband wants me to dump WRTR.  He figures he made it to his 30s without ever memorizing the 5 sounds that /ou/ can make.  I kind of want to dump WRTR because it makes us ALL hate school.  But he has to learn to read.  And this works for so many families and gets such great reviews.  And I cannot afford another program.  And he needs to learn to read.    

Spalding recommends teaching 4 a day, plus drilling by dictating them and by "flashing" them. If you are only introducing 5 or 6 a week, then you may just be spending too much time drilling and not moving forward, KWIM? You don't test the phonograms the way you will test spelling words. The drills are not tests, and should only take a few minutes at a time.

You don't introduce reading books after learning a certain number of phonograms. You teach the first 45 phonograms, then you begin teaching the words in the Extended Ayres List, then you begin reading.

"ou" only has 4 sounds, not 5.

Which edition of the manual do you have? 

If you go to Logic of English website, she has free teacher training videos.  They are excellent.  Although LOE is slightly different than WRTR, because they are based off the same method, I think you will find them extremely helpful.  Once you feel confident teaching, it will probably help with your son's feelings about the program also.

If you go to Logic of English website, she has free teacher training videos.  They are excellent.  Although LOE is slightly different than WRTR, because they are based off the same method, I think you will find them extremely helpful.  Once you feel confident teaching, it will probably help with your son's feelings about the program also.

Although LOE may be "based off" Spalding (which I believe it is, even though the author doesn't say as much), WRTR is not. The method is Spalding. WRTR is the manual for the Spalding Method. :-)

I have the 4th edition. The 5 sounds of "ou" I mentioned instead of the (correct) 4 was a personal mistake. As you can see, I have never memorized any of this ether :)

I can try introducing the phonograms faster. As he isn't retaining anything at all while introducing 6 a week (and going over those 6, then 12, then 18 over and over again) I don't see how increasing that to 20 a week (and then 40, and then by the 3rd week the full 45) will help. But I'm willing to try it, as I've never taught anyone to read before and you have :)  

I can also stop drilling as a test once a week. But, may I ask, how am I to determine if he is retaining any of the phonographs? And when do I know to move on to the Ayers list if I do not test him?  

I have the 4th edition. The 5 sounds of "ou" I mentioned instead of the (correct) 4 was a personal mistake. As you can see, I have never memorized any of this ether :)

I can try introducing the phonograms faster. As he isn't retaining anything at all while introducing 6 a week (and going over those 6, then 12, then 18 over and over again) I don't see how increasing that to 20 a week (and then 40, and then by the 3rd week the full 45) will help. But I'm willing to try it, as I've never taught anyone to read before and you have :)

I can also stop drilling as a test once a week. But, may I ask, how am I to determine if he is retaining any of the phonographs? And when do I know to move on to the Ayers list if I do not test him?  

You teach four phonograms a day. You follow the same methodology as you do for the single-letter phonograms (p. 66 and following).

Each day you drill the phonograms you have already taught by "flashing" them (you hold up the card and he says the sound), and by dictating them (you say the sound and he writes the phonogram). This is not the same thing as "testing" him.

When he knows the first 54 phonograms you begin teaching the words in the Extended Ayres List (p. 124).

WRTR isn't going to work for everyone, and it's not the only method out there that can get the job done.  It sounds like your entire family is ready to move on to something else.  I would try some of the free resources mentioned and you could also see if your library has any books that might help.  Maybe start with an extended break too, just playing rhyming games and coloring letter pictures, etc.  Work on getting him excited about reading again and then start fresh. 

WRTR isn't going to work for everyone, and it's not the only method out there that can get the job done.  It sounds like your entire family is ready to move on to something else.  I would try some of the free resources mentioned and you could also see if your library has any books that might help.  Maybe start with an extended break too, just playing rhyming games and coloring letter pictures, etc.  Work on getting him excited about reading again and then start fresh. 

Spalding (not WRTR, as WRTR is not a method :001_smile: , it's just the manual for the method) can work with *most* children, but I tend not to recommend it for a child so young. Of course, I also tend to be a little more relaxed than many here. :-) Page 256 of the manual, "Teaching in the Different Grades," does say that it is possible for 5yo children to do Spalding, following the first grade plan; they just move more slowly (although they would still learn more than 5 or 6 phonograms a week).

As others have mentioned, the dictation is really a critical part of cementing the phonograms for your student.  If your five year old is not ready for that much writing, it's okay to step back for a while.  Encourage play that builds hand strength (play dough, modeling clay, cutting, legos/duplos, etc.)  You can also change up the writing by using a white board or a sand/salt tray.  Still pay attention to letter formation, though.  My students also get very excited by getting to use colored pencils for spelling/dictation - they flip for the pencils with multi-color led.

Here are some game suggestions for make drill more fun, too.

Line Hop: Use masking tape to make a straight line on the ground.  Have your student stand on the line, with you at the top.  Hold up a phonogram card in each hand and have him jump to the side with the sound you say.  For variation, he can also jump toward the vowel or consonant, line letter or clock letter, phonogram that can/cannot be used at the end of an English word.  He can tell you the sound after he jumps.

Phonogram Bingo: Make a simple bingo card with the phongrams you are wanting to review.  Have him cover the phonogram when he hears the sounds.  To "earn" his Bingo, he has to be able to say back the phonograms.

Phonogram Path: Make a path of the cards and have your student walk the path, saying each phonogram when he gets to it.  He can pick up the card and move forward if he gets it correct.  If you have to help, you get the card.  Path-building that requires jumping over obstacles, standing on one foot, etc. are encouraged!  "Treasure" at the end of the path is optional!

Phonogram Hunt: Two ways to play this game - either hide the cards and have him find them, bring them to you, and say the sound.  OR you can give him a sound and he has to hunt for that card specifically.

Teacher: Who doesn't love being the teacher?  He can run the drill, and you can be the student.

As others have mentioned, the dictation is really a critical part of cementing the phonograms for your student.  If your five year old is not ready for that much writing, it's okay to step back for a while.  Encourage play that builds hand strength (play dough, modeling clay, cutting, legos/duplos, etc.)  You can also change up the writing by using a white board or a sand/salt tray.  Still pay attention to letter formation, though.  My students also get very excited by getting to use colored pencils for spelling/dictation - they flip for the pencils with multi-color led.

Here are some game suggestions for make drill more fun, too.

Line Hop: Use masking tape to make a straight line on the ground.  Have your student stand on the line, with you at the top.  Hold up a phonogram card in each hand and have him jump to the side with the sound you say.  For variation, he can also jump toward the vowel or consonant, line letter or clock letter, phonogram that can/cannot be used at the end of an English word.  He can tell you the sound after he jumps.

Phonogram Bingo: Make a simple bingo card with the phongrams you are wanting to review.  Have him cover the phonogram when he hears the sounds.  To "earn" his Bingo, he has to be able to say back the phonograms.

Phonogram Path: Make a path of the cards and have your student walk the path, saying each phonogram when he gets to it.  He can pick up the card and move forward if he gets it correct.  If you have to help, you get the card.  Path-building that requires jumping over obstacles, standing on one foot, etc. are encouraged!  "Treasure" at the end of the path is optional!

Phonogram Hunt: Two ways to play this game - either hide the cards and have him find them, bring them to you, and say the sound.  OR you can give him a sound and he has to hunt for that card specifically.

Teacher: Who doesn't love being the teacher?  He can run the drill, and you can be the student.

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing.

Spalding (not WRTR, as WRTR is not a method :001_smile: , it's just the manual for the method) can work with *most* children, but I tend not to recommend it for a child so young. Of course, I also tend to be a little more relaxed than many here. :-) Page 256 of the manual, "Teaching in the Different Grades," does say that it is possible for 5yo children to do Spalding, following the first grade plan; they just move more slowly (although they would still learn more than 5 or 6 phonograms a week).

I didn't mean to say that Spalding *can't* work, only that it isn't going to be a good fit for every single family out there.  Perhaps I didn't word my original post as clearly as I should have. 

Perhaps I will step back and re-try with the Spalding Method in a few months. I do think its a solid program.

I knew he was a year "early" for WRTR when I started but I felt (and still feel) as if he is ready to read. He is eager to learn to read and happily reads Bob Books (very easy readers) and any CVC words we come upon during our read-aloud time. He is still "blending" slowly but he can do it without help or tears and I bet he recognizes easily 2 dozen words by sight. I also don't think it's too much writing for him. He will often organically decide to write and illustrate books of words (cat, dog, mom, ect) for his little brothers. He does all the spelling by himself when he does this and every letter is formed correctly. It was this ability that made me look into WRTR in the first place.

But "flashing" the WRTR phonogram cards gets me nothing but a blank stare in his best moods, no matter how many times we go over it. Retention is a serious zero. It may be pure stubbornness, this child has a very hard time doing things he doesn't see the "point" of. Reading words= reading books. Writing words= getting your point across. Reading and writing sounds? It may be a bit too abstract. I do feel once we get past the phonograms and into the ayers list things will improve dramatically. But, of course, we have to get there. 

I love all your games, Hope Academy!!  Printing as a resource for when we pick this back up.  

My ds was very resistant to learning to read when he was that age. He wanted nothing to do with it. So we dropped it and came back about a year or so later. He still resisted a bit, but it wasn't the torture it had been before. In the meantime I just read lots of great books to him and let him listen to audio books. He wasn't really interested in reading anything himself, but when he recognized letters and things I just quietly encouraged him without making a big deal about it. 

Now we are using SWR and while he still complains sometimes, he accepts it and he enjoys making connections and seeing how the rules work together and how his writing has improved since we started. 

Slightly different path...

I am not using a program to teach my kid to read.  When he started blending we did the second set of BOB books (because I found them on sale).  Then we moved into Scamp and Tramp (because I got it at a consignment sale).  This was a great fit for us, because the reader is a series of short stories that gradually get longer.  The words stay with short vowel sounds for the whole book (a few sight word exceptions like he) and progress through consonant blends.  We are now moving into vowel blends using the Sing Spell Read and Write readers (because I got them at a consignment sale).

I have never taught or made him write any blends, just as we read the story I say something like "s and h together make the sh sound" the first couple of times, then later "what sound does s-h make?"

If I was going to purchase new, I would pick up all six of the American Language Readers because we are such huge fans of the way Scamp and Tramp has fit for our oldest.

I'm sorry it's been a bad experience! You want him to enjoy it and feel confident in himself. I'm sure this feels sad to you. He's 5. Put them away. I'd say stop all for now, but he's feeling bad about himself as a reader. So consider a break, then something like I See Sam (free for printing; I linked in my blog post here). If he's still reluctant, drop it all entirely for a while.

Also linked in that post is Progressive Phonics. When he's forgotten the bad experience and has gotten older, you can start again with phonograms. But do it differently. Introduce a phonogram (one at a time), have him say and trace it in whipped cream, salt in a pie plate, with his finger on sandpaper, in fingerpaint, etc.--vary the material used day to day--say it, trace it, etc. Teach them in the order that Progressive Phonics introduces them--then he can read with his newly learned phonogram. Go slow. Let him master one (reviewing the previously learned ones too--try things like jumping to the correct phonogram that's on a paper on the floor when you say the sound, or throwing a beanbag at a target (phonogram) while he says the sound, board games, that sort of thing) before moving on. In many programs, K students are just learning single letters. He really doesn't need to do what WRTR wants right now.

Don't push when he's resisting. This should be enjoyable.

It seems pretty obvious that this method isn't a good fit for your son.  I read through WRTR a couple years back, and I still think it's the most effective method out there if your goal is to suck every bit of fun out of learning to read. ;)  There are more laid back programs out there, like Phonics Pathways or AAR.  I'd give one of those a try.

Also, from my own experience and from what I've learned around here, natural readers seem to have a very low tolerance for drill and kill when it comes to phonics.  My dd was like that.  Less than a year ago I was throwing my hands up in despair because she'd absolutely refuse to read a list of five silent e words.  I quit phonics completely, and now she's reading fourth grade chapter books on a daily basis and sounds out five or six syllable words with no problems.  If your son was picking up reading easily before you started Spalding, less might be more.  I'd pick a very laid back program and also read out loud like a freak, as many books as he'll sit for, and make sure he's in a position where he can see the words as you read.  Just remember that it doesn't matter how complete a program is if the end result is that your son hates reading.  Find something he likes. :)

Is he 5 (your signature says so)?  He may not be ready to assimilate and retain all of the reading skills yet.  He could have working memory issues, midline issues, or any other of a number of reasons why his brain can't retain all of those phongrams yet.  Doing more at a faster pace will likely just set him up for further failure and poor self esteem.