Menu

Update on my girl's cat bite

blondeviolin

So, it's a good thing I took her in because by the next day, the small bite area and surrounding skin was turning red and warm. She is on oral antibiotics.

The health department was notified and animal control brought by a trap to see if we could lure the animal back. He came back the next night, but escaped into a small bush where he couldn't be captured. None of the neighbors claim the animal. So we are continuing to look for him through the weekend. If he's not found by Monday, the health department "strongly recommends" that my daughter receive the rabies post-exposure vaccinations. Apparently the stray cat population in our area has had a few rabid animals in recent months and we live in a neighborhood that's right next to a drainage ditch that animal control believes could house stray felines.

So, that's where we currently stand. While I know the chances of actual rabies infection are crazy low, there is still a chance and I'm not comfortable with that.

:grouphug:  FWIW, I have a friend whose children had to get the series of rabies shots a couple of years ago. She said it really wasn't that bad once she figured out where they could get them. The shots themselves were not bad--not like the ones from 30 years ago.

:grouphug:  FWIW, I have a friend whose children had to get the series of rabies shots a couple of years ago. She said it really wasn't that bad once she figured out where they could get them. The shots themselves were not bad--not like the ones from 30 years ago.

This is true.  My whole family has had the rabies series ('cause we just can't seem to get rid of the bats that like to visit us every July), and it's no worse than any other shot - just a small needle in the shoulder (except for the first one, which is immunoglobulin, not the vaccine).

I'm so sorry your dd had such a reaction to the cat bite! :( You must be so worried about the possibility of rabies. Would do it be better to just get her started on the rabies shots, rather than wait a few more days to capture the cat, or does it not make a difference if more time passes? (I don't know the timeline for rabies, so I'm not sure if there's any harm in waiting.)

I'm so sorry your dd had such a reaction to the cat bite! :( You must be so worried about the possibility of rabies. Would do it be better to just get her started on the rabies shots, rather than wait a few more days to capture the cat, or does it not make a difference if more time passes? (I don't know the timeline for rabies, so I'm not sure if there's any harm in waiting.)

If we are able to catch the cat, they'd watch the animal for ten days. If it died within that timeframe, they'd treat for rabies. If not, she'd be fine. So waiting the two extra nights is not beyond reason. If not, she'll start the injections on Monday and that would still be within a week of the bite.

I'm grateful that we have the injections option. The chance is low that the offending at was rabid, but it's still there. If I can protect her in any way, I will.

Thanks all! We're going to put a can of tuna in the trap this evening.