Menu

Ds16 just had to perform the Heimlich on me over and over

Jean in Newcastle

At this time we are suspecting that it was a spasm of some kind and not food caught.  Nothing was actually dislodged, at least to my knowledge, that allowed me to breathe.  I've had many episodes of both esophageal and laryngeal spasms before.  Up until now I've been treated with electrolytes because the doctor suspected that deficiency in those were the cause.  I don't know what he will think now.  My throat and chest are still very tight and hurt a lot.  I've left an e-mail for my doctor outlining what is going on so we'll see what he says tomorrow.

About the esophageal spasms, have you investigated the possibility that you have silent reflux? It took me years to realize that the reason food was constantly getting stuck in my throat--sometimes a little stuck, sometimes a lot stuck, though I could always breathe through my nose, as you said--was because reflux was irritating my esophagus and causing it to swell. I would have spasms (and those horrible hiccups), but they would happen as a result of the food getting bogged down in an already-narrowed tube. When I gave up gluten and caffeine (my two main triggers, though jalapeños and citrus also cause reflux for me as well), the reflux stopped and so did the swallowing problems. My dad SWEARS he does not have any kind of reflux, but he started taking an antacid every day, and his swallowing problems have also reduced greatly over the last year or so. 

My husband had this same problem about 12 years ago.  He had several choking episodes (very scary) and even had his esophagus/stomach scoped.  They determined it was acid reflux causing the spasms.  He started taking Prilosec and hasn't had an episode since. 

HTH,

Joy