Menu

Looking for online algebra class

I would like to find an online algebra class for ds11 next year.  He will actually be ready for algebra come January so this will give us a few months to prep thoroughly.  My oldest did cyber school for 6th grade and the access to a live algebra class 2-3times a week plus assignments was a really valuable experience, but I'm not sure I want to put ds11 in the cyber school just to get that opportunity. 

I do not want AOPS...not a good fit for my 11 year old.  And I don't want Saxon because I can just do that easily on my own so it seems a waste to pay for it.  He is doing Saxon pre-algebra now.  Finally, it needs to be during the traditional school day - not evenings on the east coast.  I know...I'm picky :)   Is there anything out there using a traditional algebra textbook?

Thanks! Brownie

I should add that it is not that I cannot teach algebra, but I do have a younger student to teach, meaning that I don't have time for the traditional lecture format.  I also found that having an online class forced us to commit the time required to learn the material rather than just putting in an hour a day regardless.  I need to get him back on a traditional cycle so that he can enter school smoothly...eventually.  This created an issue for my oldest in that there was no appropriate math placement because we were off cycle just moving along at the right pace for him.

Recorded lectures. There's a student workbook/notebook in which the student fills in notes as he listens to the lecture. Then there are exercises for the student to do in the workbook/notebook. He checks the answers against an answer page on the class page on the website. Then he does the "homework" problems which are posted on the class page. He scans his homework page and emails it to Derek. Derek corrects it/marks it up, and emails it back. At the end of the chapter, the student does a chapter test, scans, & emails that, too. There is a "gradebook" online in which all scores are recorded. Every time you get an assignment back, there's a link to the gradebook where you can see all the individual grades & your current cumulative grade.

It's all very clear and efficient. Derek is very responsive to any questions. Corrected assignments come back within 1-2 days. My boys like the very straightforward approach.

Are you starting right now? Have you ever checked out Jan in Tx's online Algebra classes? She's one of the math gurus on the high school forum & is quite good. 

Even if not, I'd ask on the high school forum for this as well--your dc don't have to be in high school yet if they are doing a high school level class such as this.

thanks!  It's good to know these options are out there.  They both look good.  It would probably come down to the scope and sequence of the texts.

We are not starting now.  I was looking for fall.  DS will be wrapping up pre-algebra 1st week in January and honestly I don't have a plan for finishing out the year yet, but I don't want to dump a 5th grade straight into algebra without some extra rigorous prep work.

Yes, we used TC for Pre-Algebra and really liked it.  It turns out ~ half of the Pre-A and Algbera courses overlap.  So that is something to consider for those who may use both.  

Thank you for pointing that out.  Actually, its well over half, almost two-thirds, according to a comparison of the TabletClass course descriptions online.  Going strictly by the lesson titles listed by bullet point for each chapter, 53 lessons in TC pre-algebra are repeated in TC algebra.  If I compared correctly, I think there are 32 new lesson topics in TC algebra that aren't also covered in TC pre-algebra, out of a total of 85 lesson topics.  (~62% repeats.)  I'm trying to figure out where we're going next for math curriculum, so these details are important and I've been comparing S&S for several.   :lol:  :tongue_smilie:   The repeats/review may very well be necessary for some but it is nice to know up front before purchasing.

We are using TC Pre-Algebra now, and my son is working on systems of linear equations. I wanted him to do some extra problems and found them on page 400 and something of Dolciani ALGEBRA book (not Pre Algebra). So yea, I'd say he's pretty much doing Algebra now LOL. TC is challenging, the lectures are very clear (sometimes TOO clear in the sense that he covers steps very clearly in his videos and sometimes my son gets bored and wants him to move along LOL) and sometimes I get extra problems out of Dolciani, which is super clear and has answers to the odd questions in the back. All in all, I am happy with TC this year and the price is right, too.

Glad to hear it Halcyon. :)   I had a feeling TC Pre-A would be a good fit for your son based on where he was at with its level of challenge and clear instruction.  The S&S is definitely expanded into Algebra 1 in parts.  From what I could tell AoPS Pre-A takes a similar 'earlier is better' approach.  I think that works better for some kids who are ready for it vs. others who it may be too much too soon for. His early introductions to Dolciani Pre-A most likely helped him in that regard as well wouldn't you say?

Thank you for pointing that out.  Actually, its well over half, almost two-thirds, according to a comparison of the TabletClass course descriptions online.  Going strictly by the lesson titles listed by bullet point for each chapter, 53 lessons in TC pre-algebra are repeated in TC algebra.  If I compared correctly, I think there are 32 new lesson topics in TC algebra that aren't also covered in TC pre-algebra, out of a total of 85 lesson topics.  (~62% repeats.)  I'm trying to figure out where we're going next for math curriculum, so these details are important and I've been comparing S&S for several.   :lol:  :tongue_smilie:   The repeats/review may very well be necessary for some but it is nice to know up front before purchasing.

This really depends on where your son is coming from in terms of his prior math training.  If he has some abstract algebraic reasoning skills under his belt TC Pre-A can be a great step up in preparing him for Algebra 1.  In fact a good portion of it is Algebra 1.  By mid course Linear Equations are taught.  This will take a child new to algebraic concepts time to wrap their brain around.  But if they are up for the challenge its a really cool thing to watch as the light bulb of abstract reasoning turns on.  I'm not sure I'd recommend following up with TC Algebra if TC Pre-A is taken.  I opted for AoPS as I wanted to give ds12 a new challenge.  I think TC Pre-A prepared him for this.  If not I probably would have gone with Forester's Algebra 1 along with Math without Borders lectures. 

Tablet class saved older Ds when he took algebra 1 via Keystone, the class was disorganized, confusing, and the teacher "help" consisted of a two word email response "page 357". He never would have passed the keystone class without tablet class!We tried Khan academy videos but they jump around too much and there isnt a logical progression (it's not a class, per se). My younger son is now using tc pre algebra, and loves it- he finished Saxon 8/7 and it's been a perfect transition. My older is nearly done with keystone geometry, and doing fine, but for algebra 2, we are using tablet class! The videos are very clear, and the guy who runs it is extremely helpful via email- he has even called! Ds got quite a kick out of that, lol.

I wish tablet class was accredited or had transcripts available. As it stands, we paid $$$for keystone and the grade, but all the learning was via tablet class. I can't say enough about the value for the low cost of this program!

TC looks like quite a deal!  Do you know if he recommends problems to do?  I would like to have suggested assignments, not 100's of possible problems to sort through.  I may even use this in the spring/summer for my oldest who wants to get a jump start on geometry!

Brownie

TC looks like quite a deal!  Do you know if he recommends problems to do?  I would like to have suggested assignments, not 100's of possible problems to sort through.  I may even use this in the spring/summer for my oldest who wants to get a jump start on geometry!

Brownie

This recommendation would totally depend on the child's math background.  If for example the first few chapters are simply review then you can jump ahead.  Take a look at the problems and if they look relatively easy for him then have him take the chapter test.  See how he does.  If a particular area is weak go back and refresh.  As you move through I would then work some of the harder problems or example sets.  Typically they range from A to C.  Just work the C set problems first unless issues arise, in which case you can do more from the other sets to firm up the concepts.  And don't forget to use the great video lessons with step by step instructions.  You'll simply have to gauge things as you go spending more time where needed and less where understanding already exists.  There's not a one size fits all recommendation since every child learns differently.

Glad to hear it Halcyon. :)   I had a feeling TC Pre-A would be a good fit for your son based on where he was at with its level of challenge and clear instruction.  The S&S is definitely expanded into Algebra 1 in parts.  From what I could tell AoPS Pre-A takes a similar 'earlier is better' approach.  I think that works better for some kids who are ready for it vs. others who it may be too much too soon for. His early introductions to Dolciani Pre-A most likely helped him in that regard as well wouldn't you say?

Yes, but the most important thing for my son, in terms of doing algebra, is just a willingness to PAY ATTENTION to detail and not get dragged down by the length of a problem. For example, when a problem takes many steps, and he has to remember what exactly he's trying to figure out, he is learning to not get bogged down but keep a clear eye on exactly WHAT he is trying to answer. This is hard at this age, I think, but he is slowly getting better at it. It's a transition from doing problems like "3/4 -1/5=what" to more challenging word problems to algebra, and I think a certain maturity (not related to age, but to the child) needs to be present. Also, I am finding it important to revisit challenging topics to make sure he really understands and remembers what to do, not in a formulaic way (although it's important he remember the steps) but in a "what is the point of this type of question?" way. One thing I think John Z does well is bring in real life situations to problems. For example, DS was working on systems last week, and John brought up the concept of housing prices (or was it car prices?) and how you would go about finding the "sweet spot" to sell your house using systems of linear equations. It was sort of an aha moment for my son, and while of course real life is more complicated than that, to be sure, it's a nice intro to understanding the uses of complex math in the real world. And I've learned a couple things also ;)

Yes, but the most important thing for my son, in terms of doing algebra, is just a willingness to PAY ATTENTION to detail and not get dragged down by the length of a problem. For example, when a problem takes many steps, and he has to remember what exactly he's trying to figure out, he is learning to not get bogged down but keep a clear eye on exactly WHAT he is trying to answer. This is hard at this age, I think, but he is slowly getting better at it. It's a transition from doing problems like "3/4 -1/5=what" to more challenging word problems to algebra, and I think a certain maturity (not related to age, but to the child) needs to be present. Also, I am finding it important to revisit challenging topics to make sure he really understands and remembers what to do, not in a formulaic way (although it's important he remember the steps) but in a "what is the point of this type of question?" way. One thing I think John Z does well is bring in real life situations to problems. For example, DS was working on systems last week, and John brought up the concept of housing prices (or was it car prices?) and how you would go about finding the "sweet spot" to sell your house using systems of linear equations. It was sort of an aha moment for my son, and while of course real life is more complicated than that, to be sure, it's a nice intro to understanding the uses of complex math in the real world. And I've learned a couple things also ;)

All good points.  One of the most challenging things with TC and other programs like it is developing the tenacity to wrestle with more difficult problems.  Delayed gratification and perseverance are developed when a child has to stop, analyze and then wrestle with multi-step abstract problems.  This doesn't happen overnight.  And quite honestly some may not be ready for it in terms of their maturity level.  I'll have to wait and see for my dds.  I may have them take a gentler Pre-A first like Derek Owens or Dolciani.  But that developmental transition you speak of has to occur at some point from the more basic plug and chug to the complex.  

Landry Academy

Know in advance that they are a Christ-Centered:

We offer Christ-centered online classes for 4th through 12th grade students on a wide variety of standard subjects such as math, literature, history, science, grammar, etc. We also offer several unique electives such as "Presidential Elections", "MBA in a Semester", "Intro to Radio Ministry", "U.S. Military Maritime History", "Critical Thinking for Emerging Leaders", "Biblically Based Journalism", "Crime Scene Investigation", "British Christian Authors", etc.

We personally have not taken their classes yet, but do have friends who have taken their semester long classes as well as their summer intensives. Both have been very happy with them.

Landry Academy

Know in advance that they are a Christ-Centered:

We offer Christ-centered online classes for 4th through 12th grade students on a wide variety of standard subjects such as math, literature, history, science, grammar, etc. We also offer several unique electives such as "Presidential Elections", "MBA in a Semester", "Intro to Radio Ministry", "U.S. Military Maritime History", "Critical Thinking for Emerging Leaders", "Biblically Based Journalism", "Crime Scene Investigation", "British Christian Authors", etc.

We personally have not taken their classes yet, but do have friends who have taken their semester long classes as well as their summer intensives. Both have been very happy with them.

I've check them out before and noticed their math courses are all Saxon based.  So for those who like Saxon it mat be a good option.

http://landryacademy.com/classes.html#Math

OK, so which of these online classes do provide grades/transcripts? I know Derek Owens does, and I'm considering that one heavily right now for Algebra I as I really want to have that feature, but it really can be expensive especially if you take 9 months to finish it.

I prefer TabletClass price and I've viewed his sample videos which are good, but he doesn't provide any kind of grade/transcript, does he? Which ones do?

OK, so which of these online classes do provide grades/transcripts? I know Derek Owens does, and I'm considering that one heavily right now for Algebra I as I really want to have that feature, but it really can be expensive especially if you take 9 months to finish it.

I prefer TabletClass price and I've viewed his sample videos which are good, but he doesn't provide any kind of grade/transcript, does he? Which ones do?

If you really want grading and transcripts that will cost more, bottom line.  I will most likely use DO for Geometry because I prefer having someone else grade the proofs. Jann in Texas grades the work as well.  TC does not.

No, you probably could.  But most use a PC including us.  Although our kids have tablets we prefer a larger screen for things like this.

Thanks! We use a PC, but I'm not actually looking :), just saw the name and wondered where online etc classes are heading. If I were to choose an online Algebra class, it would be Jann in Tx's one as she is very good at explaining things & has helped me many times (along with a few of the other math gurus here) when my eldest was homeschooling Algebra, etc. However, it's always good to know various options.