Menu

Ender's Game - the movie

stephanier.1765

Last night while watching TV, I caught my first trailer for Ender's Game. I was so excited that I was yelling for my son to come from the other room to see. My dh thought I had lost my mind.  :lol:  At least when he saw how excited my son was, he thought maybe there was something to my excitement after all.

Love the actor choices!

I am cautiously optimistic.  I'm trying really hard to approach this as Ender's Game: The Movie instead of The Movie of Ender's Game.  I know they weren't able to put everything from the book into the movie, but I also know that Orson Scott Card retained creative control and I trust he wouldn't hurt his own baby.  Fingers crossed.

I heard an interview with the author on the audiobook. The reason that it's never been made into a movie before is that he refused to let anyone make Ender older and introduce a love interest or add any other elements to make it more like a Hollywood movie is "supposed" to be. He was adamant they weren't going to change certain plot points and I assume he still is, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Ender is 6 in the book. I'm very disappointed in casting and won't be seeing the movie...even if Card's open and strong support against homosexual unions hadn't soured me on his writing in recent years.

There's a lot of dislike for the movie on gamers sites I read.

My dh doors not read. He does not share my excitement about this movie. We are good friends with another couple. She does not read. But her husband diss. He and I have been planning a double date for months to see this movie together. Hopefully our spouses will enjoy the movie as much as we enjoyed the book :-). They get tired of us talking about the books...

As long as it's not as bad as the lightning thief or Starship Troopers...

I'm somewhat excited. As for Card he's LDS and that culture and value system informs his work. Which makes his stance on homosexuality understandable, even of one doesn't agree with it.

The impression I got from this trailer is that they intend to make the school portion very short and the battle portion the longest because it makes a "cooler" movie. This is the opposite of how I remember the book. They should have made it two movies, splitting it where he graduates Battle School. :( I will watch it, but I have very little hope.

And don't forget what they did to Ella Enchanted! :shudder:

To be fair, they haven't actually seen it.

Seeing the trailer and casting and reading any discussion about the movie in publications like EW and other sites does give enough info to make some convincing arguments that it can't be true to the book in a number of ways. It's also enough for there to be serious concern that it isn't going to be good.

Ender is 6 and a young and small 6 when he goes off to battle school. Look at the stills in publicity photos of Ford and the actor for Ender. He's a teenager...not even preteen.

I think that's a significant enough change ... And that's without the battle school vs fight issue mentioned earlier.

We're super excited!! I've seen the trailer several times. It sounded like Card really tried to keep it as close to the book as possible. I think ds is waiting for the Ender's Shadow book since that seems to be his favorite. I felt good about the fact that it's the same people that did The Hunger Games, which did the book justice while being able to explain it to people who hadn't read the book. I'm not super picky though. As long as it's not as bad as The Lightning Thief, I'll be happy.

As I understand it, The movie Ender's Game is going to have elements from both that book and Ender's Shadow (I love the Shadow series as well)

Ender's game is too much "in the mind" so they needed the elements of Shadow to make a good movie.