Menu

Kindergarten math

Guest 4boys

I have no experience with math curriculum. I will be using Horizons 1 with Bailey for the upcoming year and will decide at the end of the year whether I like it or not. I have looked at Horizons K and although I like how it looks, 160 lessons seems so intense for kindergarten, not to mention a lot of people have said in reviews that it is a little advanced for kindergarten.

Sooo....I am looking for something fun, simple, colourful and quick for beginning math concepts in kindergarten. Anyone have any suggestions?

Miquon math and singapore are both inexpensive and easy (Miquon is fun with the rods, which are fun for lab math, etc). Family Math, by Berkeley Lawrence hall of science has a lot of games that teach a whole range of beginner to more advanced concepts... hth

Miquon can be very good, but is not simple for the parent in the beginning. I used KinderMath for one child - it was okay, but lacking in the colourful and fun departments. DD *loved* DK Math Made Easy K this year. I picked it up at Chapters for under $20. Maybe cruise your local bookstore and see what you can uncover? Spectrum might be nice, too.

I used the Singapore Earlybird books with all three of my kids and they were straightforward to use, colorful, not overwhelming (like not tons of pages), but they covered the info and got the job done. They were the only texts I used before 1st grade.

The first two Earlybird books are more Preschool (~4yo) and the second two are K (~5yo)

I am doing K this year with my youngest. I am taking the big step of not doing a curriculum with her for math. We are using the book lists and ideas from the living math site. This goes along with the book Family Math that the earlier poster mentioned. I am looking forward to teaching math with books, games and hands on activities.

Just another thought.

Thanks for the replies! I am going to look into the Singapore early bird books. Toby is in pre-K this year so it would work well if I got them already and just continued with him next year using the other two books. You ladies are so helpful! :)

Well I figured out what I want to do. I began looking at the Horizons K books and the first one looks super easy and the second one looks a little more advanced. So I ordered the first one and Toby can do it this year for pre-K because I think it looks completely doable for him, and then next year for kindergarten he can do book 2. That way I am still using the program I plan on using for 1st anyways, and the work load is cut in half. And besides that, all I had for him to do this year are the ETC books a, b and c and I know he's going to fly through those so this gives him something else to work on. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Well I figured out what I want to do. I began looking at the Horizons K books and the first one looks super easy and the second one looks a little more advanced. So I ordered the first one and Toby can do it this year for pre-K because I think it looks completely doable for him, and then next year for kindergarten he can do book 2. That way I am still using the program I plan on using for 1st anyways, and the work load is cut in half. And besides that, all I had for him to do this year are the ETC books a, b and c and I know he's going to fly through those so this gives him something else to work on. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Good for you! That makes perfect sense!