Menu

Workshops on teaching elementary math in the home

Woud you be interested in workshop series on teaching elementary mathematics  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend a workshop series on teaching elementary mathematics at home?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I have a lot of time on my hands, so why not?

My mom was a math teacher, as am I and I have become increasingly interested in elementary math education since my son was conceived. I would find it helpful and probably informative to refresh myself on the practices of teaching elementary arithmetic.

Will you have a unit on problem solving in the early grades?

I would LOVE to attend something like this, live or webinar.

I am one of those people who always just "got" math. This is great for me, but it means that I'm almost useless as a teacher because I don't have any idea what steps someone needs to go through to learn it if it doesn't click right away. I feel like I have a better handle on how to teach algebra than on how to teach elementary math.

I have done some reading, and I ask my kids a lot of questions as I teach to help me understand what they don't understand, but I feel like I need more -- we're only doing 1st grade now, so we have a long way to go!

Not at this point probably. But a few years ago, sure, if it looked good enough.

I actually think this is something really missing from the conference line ups I've seen. I've long thought there should be a sort of "How to Play with Blocks and Beads" workshop on how to use manipulatives in elementary math. Or just one about elementary math teaching strategies in general.

I voted maybe. It would depend on cost and convenience for me as well as the topics covered.

I'm not a huge fan of workshops and such, as I learn best by reading/seeing, not listening. I am interested in the general topic, but the specific topics would need to also interest me to attend a workshop. I think if there were suggestions/tips, handouts, and demonstrations (rather than a typical mostly talking, few words on powerpoint lecture) it would be more appealing to me. But that's mostly because of my learning style.

I voted maybe. It would depend on cost and convenience for me as well as the topics covered.

I'm not a huge fan of workshops and such, as I learn best by reading/seeing, not listening. I am interested in the general topic, but the specific topics would need to also interest me to attend a workshop. I think if there were suggestions/tips, handouts, and demonstrations (rather than a typical mostly talking, few words on powerpoint lecture) it would be more appealing to me. But that's mostly because of my learning style.

I am hoping to make the workshops interactive. I am still in the early planning phases, so I am open to any suggestions.

It would depend on scheduling, but probably. I will say, though-I'd LOVE someone to do workshops for HS audiences that give CEUs so I could potentially count them in my teaching license renewal. I try to take ones that apply to DD or to HS groups I work with, but I would LOVE a workshop that would either directly apply to DD or make it easier for me to help parents who are struggling.

Not at this point probably. But a few years ago, sure, if it looked good enough.

I actually think this is something really missing from the conference line ups I've seen. I've long thought there should be a sort of "How to Play with Blocks and Beads" workshop on how to use manipulatives in elementary math. Or just one about elementary math teaching strategies in general.

Ideally I would like to design one hour workshops on a variety of topics (so maybe a workshop on teaching problem solving, one on using manipulatives, maybe one specifically on teaching fractions since that seems to be a common sticking point, one covering general research on how children develop mathematical thinking...) For the sake of the capstone project my current understanding is that I should have a more unified teaching unit covering eight instruction hours, which doesn't work so well for presenting at homeschool conferences. I need to verify if that is true or if I could meet the instruction hours requirement through more shorter and distinct workshops, with different groups of people attending.

I am open to any ideas and suggestions!

It would depend on scheduling, but probably. I will say, though-I'd LOVE someone to do workshops for HS audiences that give CEUs so I could potentially count them in my teaching license renewal. I try to take ones that apply to DD or to HS groups I work with, but I would LOVE a workshop that would either directly apply to DD or make it easier for me to help parents who are struggling.

I wonder what the requirement is to offer CEU's? I imagine the qualifications of the instructor would play a role, perhaps once I have a masters degree in education under my belt that would be a possibility.

Depends on cost and location. Free and at the local library, one of us could attend while the other watch the kids. If its online, I have a few self interest online course and won't want to add more right now. If it is not free, it is not in my family budget at this moment in time to spend.

I didn't vote. Just wanted to add that some years ago, I watched a video about how the MEP program was developed and on the MEP site, there was a free video on how teachers do it in Hungary. It gave a very good overview of how to implement the MEP math program in the primary/elementary years. I can't find the link anymore on the MEP site (they are selling the DVD though) but you might be able to find other Hungarian math videos on youtube for ideas.

I participated in the HIPPY program (www.hippyusa.org) when my kids were preschoolers, and one thing that helped me a great deal was the role-playing -- the home visitors would walk me through activities with them acting as the teacher/parent and me as the child, then we would switch roles. It was tremendously helpful for me, moreso even than having a script to follow or just watching somoene else do the activity.

I didn't vote. Just wanted to add that some years ago, I watched a video about how the MEP program was developed and on the MEP site, there was a free video on how teachers do it in Hungary. It gave a very good overview of how to implement the MEP math program in the primary/elementary years. I can't find the link anymore on the MEP site (they are selling the DVD though) but you might be able to find other Hungarian math videos on youtube for ideas.

Quark, is this the video you are talking about?

http://archive.teachfind.com/ttv/www.teachers.tv/videos/hungary-primary-maths.html

• 3 weeks later...