Menu

I think I figured out to get it all done with a toddler!!!

Homeschooling has been a mess for the past few weeks. My daughter has been joylessly grinding away at her work in her room and I've not had time to help her. Giving my son the instruction time he needs has been horrible with a toddler creating chaos and distraction. None of the housework is getting done. The toddler is miserable because he has no quality time with me or the kids (no time at all with his sister during the week). And I am behind on everything with no time for myself.

So after a talk with my kids and a more relaxed homeschooling friend we have a new approach. We get up at 7 am for breakfast and chores. At 8 my d daughter heads to her room for Latin and fiddle practice while my son plays with the toddler and I clean and prepare. At nine my daughter comes out and tasks the toddler so I can have instructional time with middle son. At 10 middle soon goes to his room for independent reading and work, same with daughter and the toddler who's fast approaching nap time has quality time with me. We haven't got the afternoon assorted yet but since the morning is when the bulk of the work happens its going well.

This does mean I had to lighten my daughter's load a bit but that might be another post. We were drowning in scheduled work and I was ignoring the fact that where she was self-directed, wonderful things were happening. In that area I learned that even for the hard-working, university-focused high schooler, less is sometimes more.

Gosh..I need to do something.  I have been thinking of ideas...I'll have to see about something like you have going.  My house does look like a tornado blew threw it.  DD is in 8th and can do most of her work on her own, but I still need to do some teaching, but she sure needs direction when it comes to tidying.  DS is in 6th..he's a really smart kid, but he needs redirected at regular intervals to get back to work.   Toddler son is going through a phase of neediness.  I think I'm ready to drop a few subjects and stick to must have basics.

I used to not mind mess, but this year I simply can not stand it.  Which is tough seeing as it is a mess quite a bit.  I find myself really angry.  I have a routine and the kids help, but only if I direct.  I get so irritated.  They are good kids.  Right now they are out with their lego league and the baby is sleeping.  I need down time, but I also have to clean.  

Gosh..I need to do something. I have been thinking of ideas...I'll have to see about something like you have going. My house does look like a tornado blew threw it. DD is in 8th and can do most of her work on her own, but I still need to do some teaching, but she sure needs direction when it comes to tidying. DS is in 6th..he's a really smart kid, but he needs redirected at regular intervals to get back to work. Toddler son is going through a phase of neediness. I think I'm ready to drop a few subjects and stick to must have basics.

I used to not mind mess, but this year I simply can not stand it. Which is tough seeing as it is a mess quite a bit. I find myself really angry. I have a routine and the kids help, but only if I direct. I get so irritated. They are good kids. Right now they are out with their lego league and the baby is sleeping. I need down time, but I also have to clean.

The ages you have might be good for that. Your son could play with the toddler while you help your daughter and vice versa.

I made sure that I loaded that hour with my son with the instructional stuff like his math, grammar, and a science activity. When he had his independent work that was mostly reading, SOTW audio, a couple of worksheets, any computer or online stuff. I front loaded the independent work with the stuff he's not so eager about and then when he got to reading (Greek myths) I delivered some popcorn so it would be an enjoyable time and a bit of a payoff for getting through the other stuff. Naptime its a possible time but I like that time to myself and to be available to my daughter when she's doing math.

For my daughter that hour of playing with the toddler was a good break. She's doing at least 5 or 6 hours of work a day so it helps her too.

One more thing, after getting dedicated time with everyone this morning my toddler (also a needy, snuggly little guy) is MUCH more settled and content this afternoon.

I'm rambling but I hope this helps!

I am glad you found a solution. We are doing something similar with our toddler in the mornings. She plays with one of the younger ds's while I work with the other. I need to spend more time with her. I like your idea of giving your son independent work while you spend time with your toddler.

The ages you have might be good for that. Your son could play with the toddler while you help your daughter and vice versa.

I made sure that I loaded that hour with my son with the instructional stuff like his math, grammar, and a science activity. When he had his independent work that was mostly reading, SOTW audio, a couple of worksheets, any computer or online stuff. I front loaded the independent work with the stuff he's not so eager about and then when he got to reading (Greek myths) I delivered some popcorn so it would be an enjoyable time and a bit of a payoff for getting through the other stuff. Naptime its a possible time but I like that time to myself and to be available to my daughter when she's doing math.

For my daughter that hour of playing with the toddler was a good break. She's doing at least 5 or 6 hours of work a day so it helps her too.

One more thing, after getting dedicated time with everyone this morning my toddler (also a needy, snuggly little guy) is MUCH more settled and content this afternoon.

I'm rambling but I hope this helps!

This made me smile, and made me miss homeschooling! 

I just want to say, this little glimpse into your day was really sweet. 

Congrats on finding what works for you.

Hm, maybe I could make something like this work. My current approach is to allow the toddler to create utter mayhem while I work with the older children....

This is what seems to be working for me as well :smash:  at least, most of the time. Though he did flush something down the toilet last week, I never did figure out what it was. Oh well, we got school done.