Menu

How much do I need to spend to get a decent quality bicycle?

Julie in CA

We have weight issues.

My dds (teenagers) have mentioned that they'd like bicycles, but in past years the Walmart cheapie bikes haven't lasted well. The terrain where we live is dirt/gravel/rocks, so do they need a mountain bike? Where should I look, and how much do I need to spend? Money is tight, but not impossible, and I'd like to make this a priority.

I second the idea of going to a bicycle shop and getting their advice.   "fit" is important - you definitely need the right size of bike for each individual person.  Armed with that knowledge, you might then be able to find one on craigslist or something.

Anne

I'd go to a local bike store, ask for advice and get properly fitted, and I would probably look at a hybrid (thinner tires than mountain but still some grip, and more upright riding posture that most newbies find more comfy than a proper road bike). I don't know about cost, but hopefully you could find one for under $300, especially this time of the season. I just checked, my local bike store has a bunch of brand-name cruiser and commuter models on sale for $299.99 (in many cases this is more than $200 off of list price).

For the next bike you could go through Craigslist, but for a first bike you 1) want to be sure it's in good repair, and 2) you want to get fitted, after which it's pretty rude not to support the bike shop that does the fitting.

There are no stupid questions, silly! 

No, don't assume that they will need the same size bike. It's not just about the size of the wheels, which is related somewhat to height. It's also about the distance between the seat and the handlebars - the frame size. 

I second going to a bike shop to get fitted and shop around - go to more than one, if you can. Try your Dick's Sporting Goods, too, if you have one. One near us has a very knowledgeable person in the bike department, another one just has a regular sales guy. I think we spent between $300 - 400 on my sons a few years ago. We are hoping it will last through college, but he may outgrow it. This spring we spent about $70 at a bike shop getting a tune up - cleaning everything, getting the rust off of the chain, new tires & a couple of other things I don't remember. If you're handy you can learn to do that kind of thing yourself and save money. 

ETA: A hybrid tire sounds like it would be a good fit for the kind of riding you're describing. 

Stupid, stupid question here...

My dds both wear exactly the same size clothes, including the same length pants, and they are the same height/weight. Can I get one bike that would work for both of them?

YES!  Have them sized at a shop for a bike and then do a search on craigslist for used ones.  You can get great bikes for a lot less used.  I would expect to spend at least $250 on a good used bike (not competitive riding or hardcore mountain biking, otherwise you may need to spend $1000+) New you may be spending closer to $500.

Stupid, stupid question here...

My dds both wear exactly the same size clothes, including the same length pants, and they are the same height/weight. Can I get one bike that would work for both of them?

I am by NO means an expert, but I don't see why not.  As soon as you Google "how to measure for a bike" you'll see that the main thing to do is measure leg length.  If your DDs are *that* much the same, I can't see why one bike to share would be a problem.

~coffee~

I know that one of our bike shops sells used bikes.  You can get a good deal on a bike that way.  I was thinking a decent bike would be at least $400, but I'm unsure, and you never know what you may find.  Do go through a bike shop and get help getting fit.  It could make the difference between your child enjoying bike riding or not.