Menu

So I am reading that chocolate is bad for sleep...

Susan in TN

...but I have been sleeping so much better in the past week eating some dark chocolate (70% or 85%) before bed.  I was having difficulty waking in the early morning and not being able to fall back asleep, but since I've been eating chocolate I've slept all night.   I'm still having some general anxiety during the day, but at least sleep deprivation isn't adding to it!

Hurray for finding something that works!  

I've noticed that a lot of foods and supplements that are supposedly great (or bad) for something-or-other vary quite a bit with individuals.  For example, milk products keep me up at night.  Chamomile makes dh jittery.  Lavender makes dd itch. 

Hurray for finding something that works!  

I've noticed that a lot of foods and supplements that are supposedly great (or bad) for something-or-other vary quite a bit with individuals.  For example, milk products keep me up at night.  Chamomile makes dh jittery.  Lavender makes dd itch. 

Chamomile does the same thing to me.  If I drink chamomile tea before bed, I can (usually) get to sleep okay, but I wake up with the jitters 2-3 hours later, and it takes me an hour or two to fall asleep again.  This just started within the last year.  Before that, chamomile worked as a sleep aid/relaxant for me.

Dark chocolate is a source of magnesium, which can help with sleep.  

Well, now that makes sense.  Our family tends toward magnesium deficiency for some reason - we keep a supply of Epsom salts on hand, but of course it never occurs to me when I'm the one having a sleep problem! 

And speaking of pumpkin seeds - I have two pumpkins on my counter right now  just taken from the garden today.  I'll have to try them.