Menu

MFW users, please help

Meadowlark

Hi,

I'm looking into using MFW adventures eventually (in 2 years) when my kids are in 3rd and 2nd. But, I'm confused about what I would do next year. Ideally, I'd love to have something for gentle history, science and read alouds. We have plenty of the 3 R's and are happy with those choices. I know the cm approach is to keep it gentle on these early years, and I totally agree with that. I'm just wanting to add in a little history/science/literature/fun projects that all focuses on the same theme. I looked at HOD and their program for 6-8 is American history,but I think I like MFW better and want to wait until my kids are in that age range.

So what do I do until then? Next year my boys will be 2nd and 1st. I NEED to keep them combined in everything but the 3r's, yet don't really want to piece things together if I don't have to. I guess I don't really understand what to do before they hit adventures. Thanks for the help!

:coolgleamA:  There isn't really anything I can think of for ages 5 & 6 that is history/science/lit/fun projects all wrapped up together and focused on the same theme AND is prepared/planned like MFW or HOD. I'm drawing a blank. Hopefully there is something perfect out there and my premenopausal brain fog is preventing me from helping you along here .... he he he. 

HOD has Little Hearts for His Glory which is ages 5-7. Its focus is Bible and some world history. Personally, I don't find that particular HOD guide satisfying but my preferences may be quite different from yours. It could provide that "just enough" you are looking for (though its focus is skills so you may feel hungry for a lot more literature which can be added). 

Five In A Row requires your planning but is beloved by many for the early years. 

What comes to MY mind is that you are at a wonderful stage to focus on Bible history and gobs of quality literature without tying yourself to a schedule. You have your arms full with lots of littles to take care of! And I'm impressed that you have a solid 3 R's routine that works for you. That is a smashing success for a homeschooling Mom with 5 children 6 and under.

I'd be partial to Sonlight style learning with a MOUNTAIN of books to read at your leisure or follow along with a Sonlight Core guide if that suits you. Read Bible stories and memorize passages/verses and write them out. Illustrate the stories to put in a notebook. Choose a topic for science and read about it. Watch movies about it. You *could* do demonstrations or activities from an activity book like this or this or build a human body using this cute book here.   If you really want a formal science Sonlight or Elemental may work for you. Though we've not used these I think Memoria Press' literature guides look a teensy bit fun or perhaps the ones from Veritas. You may want to pick a couple of things that look fun and try them. The only wrong thing you can do at this stage is buy too much and then not have time for it OR try something and figure out you don't like it. That's actually not a failure because you learn a little more about what works/doesn't work in your homeschool. ;) 

MFW Adventures was a favorite school year here. My boys were 6 and 8 when we completed Adventures (5 and 7 when we started) and it was a tremendous success for us. I considered it *just right* for the ages/stages of my boys. Their 4 year old sister followed along and enjoyed much of it. The book basket for that year was awesome and made for gobs of wonderful reading for all of us.  :hurray:

So what do I do until then? Next year my boys will be 2nd and 1st. I NEED to keep them combined in everything but the 3r's, yet don't really want to piece things together if I don't have to. I guess I don't really understand what to do before they hit adventures. Thanks for the help!

Then you could MFW Adventures in 2nd and 1st, and just have them in language arts and math at level with your preference of materials.  The first grader can do a lot of things from ADV, and just do a little less writing.   If he isn't reading yet, you can use the book basket books from ADV to read a little bit to him for read to your child time.

It's even in my copy of ADV manual that if you have younger sibs, they can join in the fun stuff in ADV, and then just do 3R's at their level.   They can join in the music, art, hands on stuff..  coloring some notebooking pages, listen to stories.  do science experiments, etc.

hth

My son is 1/2 way through Adventures currently.  He is 7, 2nd grade.  He is really enjoying it.  I second the option to just do it next.  The first grader will still enjoy the stories, coloring maps in the activity sheets, doing the science experiments all together.  I don't see why he couldn't also do it.  And like the other poster said keep him at his level for reading, math, spelling.  Just get each an activity pages packet.  I think they'd enjoy it!

Here's my vote:

1&2: MFW Adv.

2&3: HOD PHFHG (I love this guide)

3&4: MFW ECC

4-7&5-8: MFW 4 year cycle

8&9: younger son has a year to play with, or repeats ECC; older son begins high school.

I would NOT do Preparing before ECC.  *If* the OP was interested in even doing HOD, I would say to do ECC first because it's easier to keep each child at their own level in the 3 R's with ECC, and at the 2nd and 3rd grade levels, there's still a lot going on when it comes to laying down a foundation in the 3 R's.  And CHOW (or any world history spine that covers secular ancient history), which is scheduled in Preparing, is going to cover some issues she may not want to address with a younger child.  Or at least I wouldn't. When I had a little one present while I was doing RTR (ancient Rome) with my two older girls, she would either be napping, or busy playing with her toys while I read from our main spine and not paying any attention.  (She listened in our scheduled read-aloud, though.)  We didn't have much of a problem with the pagan side of history when doing Creation to the Greeks with MFW because the bulk of it is Bible, and MFW doesn't schedule the graphic parts of the OT at the elementary level.  (With older kids in CTG, you would use more of Book Basket to cover however much want from the secular side.) 

I believe that Calvert, the publisher of CHOW, schedules that book for 4th grade.  I do think there's a reason for that.  Besides, the lowest age recommendation for HOD Preparing is 8.

Thus, my recommendation for a long term plan would be either:

1&2: ADV

2&3: ECC

3&4: CTG

4&5: RTR

5&6: EX1850

6&7: 1850MOD

7&8: ECC with junior high supplement and a deeper study of the book of Matthew or whatever she else she wants to do at that point, while giving the students time to focus on writing skills and other areas of weakness before launching into high school. 

8&9: 9th grader starting high school (MFW AHL?), with the 8th grader doing the history of his choice, or doing something "unique" that year such as focusing in more detail on a particular time period or topic of history, or doing more in-depth literature study, or whatever he's liking at that point.... For example, if he has an infatuation with animals, he could do a study of the history of the horse and participate in 4H or do an Intro to Vet Science course....  Lots of options at that point which Mom probably doesn't even need to worry about right now, because a LOT will happen between now and then. ;)

*OR*

1&2: Five in a Row

2&3: ADV

3&4: ECC

4&5: CTG

5&6: RTR

6&7: EX1850

7&8: 1850MOD

8&9: 8th grader in ECC w/junior high suppl. (see above), and 9th grader doing high school (possibly MFW AHL?)

Okay, I will try my best to make this as understandable as possible, but I can't promise anything :-)

I guess the root of it is, IS there even a program available that suits me, or am I better off piecing together things on my own. I just cannot figure out which route to take.  I thought I was an HOD girl to the heart. I've drooled over the catalog, even planned out years ahead and bought books. Big mistake, lesson learned. We are doing LHFHG this year, but I am tweaking it so much that it probably even isn't really "doing it". I don't care for much of it and that worries me because I'm afraid if I don't like the first guide, is there hope that I will like the rest? I have heard they get better, but I'm just not sure.  I DO have Beyond purchased and all ready to go, and that was what I was planning to do next year.

But then..I stumbled across MFW. I had never considered it in the past because when I looked at the K and 1st grade program, my son was way advanced for the LA part of it. I didn't realize that the upper guides were different. I don't know a lot about MFW, but from what I can see, I could combine my kiddos down the line quite nicely. As you can see from my signature, they are all very close. The idea of studying the same types of things with them excites me!

So, about Adventures...it looks pretty good to me. Relevant projects? Good literature? Open and go, clear plans? One question, can I do Adventures but put in my own math and phonics? If I only want to use it for liteature, science and history, what would I need to buy exactly?

I like the suggestion of just doing ADV next year (2nd and 1st), although "Beyond" will be shelved and I"ll feel super guilty about not using it...but if I love Adventures then it would be worth it. I feel right now like I am constantly putting a round peg in a square hole, and it's uncomfortable. I don't know if there's anything I won't tweak, but I'm looking to find the closest match for us without spending a ton of money on curriculum that I won't use. I am a tweaker by nature-I taught PS and althought I loved having a curriculum guide, I was always googling interest projects, going to the library, etc.

If anyone has done both Beyond and Adventures, I'd really value your input on the 2 programs. If I chose MFW, would I just keep doing the programs (2-8)? What about when we run out and we repeat, then will my oldest just do it at a deeper level? I guess I'm not 100% sure how the cycle works.

I know this touched on a lot of issues and I apologize for writing a book. I am spending WAY too much time thinking about all of this and I do not have time to spare! Thanks for all of the help.

DS did Beyond in 1st grade. We bought MFW Adventures for a 1st & 3rd grader this year. LOVED Beyond, loved it for 1st grade. (Didn't love Bigger for 2nd grade. I feel HOD is missing a good 2nd grade program; I still feel Beyond is a good 1st grade program; Bigger is a great 3rd grade and then on from there.) Having come from HOD, (just finishing Bigger) I was majorly underwhelmed by Adventures. I think it would be perfect for YOU to go into next year, with a 1st and 2nd grader. I think I would have enjoyed it last year, instead of Bigger, but I didn't want to use it coming off of Beyond, since Beyond and Adventures both use Pioneers and Patriots. My first grader is doing great with the readings and very little writing in Adventures. We have since tweaked Adventures to the point it is not recognized, so I am not saying we use it, but I do assign a lot of the reading and writing from it. Just as a side note, we LOVE the art in Adventures. Oh, one more thing. My dd did LHFHG and I was "meh" about it. I felt that Beyond was WAYYY better. HTH.

So, about Adventures...it looks pretty good to me. Relevant projects? Good literature? Open and go, clear plans? One question, can I do Adventures but put in my own math and phonics? If I only want to use it for liteature, science and history, what would I need to buy exactly?

I bought the Deluxe package and we do our own english and math. If you weren't using their art, you wouldn't need that, but otherwise everything else in the package is for literature, science, and history.

DS did Beyond in 1st grade. We bought MFW Adventures for a 1st & 3rd grader this year. LOVED Beyond, loved it for 1st grade. (Didn't love Bigger for 2nd grade. I feel HOD is missing a good 2nd grade program; I still feel Beyond is a good 1st grade program; Bigger is a great 3rd grade and then on from there.) Having come from HOD, (just finishing Bigger) I was majorly underwhelmed by Adventures. I think it would be perfect for YOU to go into next year, with a 1st and 2nd grader. I think I would have enjoyed it last year, instead of Bigger, but I didn't want to use it coming off of Beyond, since Beyond and Adventures both use Pioneers and Patriots. My first grader is doing great with the readings and very little writing in Adventures. We have since tweaked Adventures to the point it is not recognized, so I am not saying we use it, but I do assign a lot of the reading and writing from it. Just as a side note, we LOVE the art in Adventures. Oh, one more thing. My dd did LHFHG and I was "meh" about it. I felt that Beyond was WAYYY better. HTH.

This is very helpful...so are you saying that you think Beyond is better than Adventures? I really think I'll use one of the two next year as I really want to do American history. I totally agree that HOD is missing a guide. Have you done ECC? I kind of liked the idea of doing that after Bigger (if we continue with HOD that is ) I feel like I should give Beyond a shot, but if I do, I'll miss out on Adventures. I think I'll end up tweaking both programs. What are the best parts/books of adventures? I am interested in the art, but I suppose I would have to buy the whole curriculum to do that? How is the science in adventures? What are you tweaking, or what's not to your liking?

I love that you've done both, I apologize if I'm asking too many questions :-)

You can absolutely use whatever math and LA you want with Adventures, and even the 5 year cycle.  I've had no problem whatsoever.  I also agree that you could do Adv. with 1st and 2nd grades; I used it for first and third and it was a great year.  Sylvia was an excellent reader already, so 1st would have been too slow.  I didn't really have to modify anything for her in Adv.

This is very helpful...so are you saying that you think Beyond is better than Adventures? I really think I'll use one of the two next year as I really want to do American history. I totally agree that HOD is missing a guide. Have you done ECC? I kind of liked the idea of doing that after Bigger (if we continue with HOD that is ) I feel like I should give Beyond a shot, but if I do, I'll miss out on Adventures. I think I'll end up tweaking both programs. What are the best parts/books of adventures? I am interested in the art, but I suppose I would have to buy the whole curriculum to do that? How is the science in adventures? What are you tweaking, or what's not to your liking?

I love that you've done both, I apologize if I'm asking too many questions :-)

I would be hard pressed to say one is better than the other. Here's what I'll say. Starting from scratch, no other years considered, I would do Beyond with my son and Adventures with my dd. (Which begs the question what you would do the next year. Gah!) HOD seemed to be a little more get it done, academic feeling. Adventures is a bit more artsy and less structured. (But it is structured, so I don't know what I'm trying to say.) I once read on here that HOD is good for Type-A moms, which I am.  So, on the one hand, I really do think Adventures is a good program and I think it is very well suited for your kids' ages. Where I ran into a problem is that my eldest (3rd grade) had already done Bigger, so where Adventures skimmed a topic, he had already done way more in depth coverage last year in Bigger. Had he not had that year, it probably would have been fine for him, as well. BUT, since you have Beyond, I would pick to use that. You're going to get more history from Beyond. Dover puts out a 50 States Coloring Book and it's pages are almost identical to Adventures state pages, you could do that, and it's dirt cheap. And, you can buy the art program from CBD, it's scheduled in MFW, but you don't have to follow their schedule. The science was too simple for us in both programs, as was the Bible. We do go through every two weeks and color the name of Jesus and memorize the verses, but mostly we are just reading longer passages straight out of the Bible. That's what *my* kids were ready for. For our family, I have found it is easiest for me to teach the program that I am most comfortable teaching and I can add things for my dd, who is a bit more of a free spirit.

Oh, and no we have not used ECC, and I don't plan to, at this point.

HTH?

What is CBD? I agree that the logical choice is to do Beyond since it's sitting on my shelves. I was hoping to avoid another year of tweaking, but I can now see that it's necessary to do so no matter what "perfect" curriculum I might find. Yes, I think it's one of the reasons I homeschool and I am thankful for the opportunity to tailor fit to my kids and my style too. Okay, now if I can just find some art/music fine art type supplements, and maybe some literature (book basket stuff, we will do Beyonds read alouds), I will be set. Are the book basket suggestions published anywhere?

Christian Book Distributors; here's a link to the art program there. The book basket is not published, I think it's definitely one of the draws of buying the teacher's guide. I personally liked the Truthquest guide (American History for Young Students) for getting book suggestions. Do some more searching on MFW and HOD, there are a ton of blog posts out there. Good luck!!!!

I was like you...thought I would be with HOD forever.  I love the theology that is built into the curriculum, but once we got started with LHFHG I couldn't do the guide...I cannot stand the boxes!!  So, in the beginning of kinder, I switched to Sonlight p4/5 (and due to our living situation was the best and easiest choice for all of us).  I thought I really liked sonlight and planned to do core a for 1st grade, but then I found MFW!  I love, love it!  To me it's the perfect mix of what I was looking for.  It is not as "bossy" as HOD but has the weekly grid like sonlight (and I can add the core A read alouds to MFW1 very easily).  I am planning to use adventures for 2nd grade.

It has definitely been a curriculum and school day that both my daughter and I look forward to each day!  Good luck!!

I was like you...thought I would be with HOD forever.  I love the theology that is built into the curriculum, but once we got started with LHFHG I couldn't do the guide...I cannot stand the boxes!!  So, in the beginning of kinder, I switched to Sonlight p4/5 (and due to our living situation was the best and easiest choice for all of us).  I thought I really liked sonlight and planned to do core a for 1st grade, but then I found MFW!  I love, love it!  To me it's the perfect mix of what I was looking for.  It is not as "bossy" as HOD but has the weekly grid like sonlight (and I can add the core A read alouds to MFW1 very easily).  I am planning to use adventures for 2nd grade.

It has definitely been a curriculum and school day that both my daughter and I look forward to each day!  Good luck!!

This is the best description I have seen of HOD vs. MFW!  I've been trying to articulate that for ages.

I would NOT do Preparing before ECC.

Good points. I like your FIAR recommendation.

OP, here's another choice: Beautiful Feet Early American History. I didn't mention it in my first post bc you said you wanted everything planned for you, and BF is just history. I really loved that year, though.

I did MFW K, MFW 1st, MFW Adventures, MFW ECC, then HOD Preparing.  I have bought and sold every HOD guide before Preparing...I just do not like them. I LOVE Preparing, if the student is old enough to do the independent stuff independently. I tried Beyond with the next younger student for his 1st grade, and we quit halfway through and just read the Christian Liberty Press science book and an Abeka history book. Adventures does not incorporate the LA and math at all, so you can do your own thing there. My random thoughts and a suggestion that you follow the same (or at least similar, and do Adventures this year) path.

I did MFW K, MFW 1st, MFW Adventures, MFW ECC, then HOD Preparing. I have bought and sold every HOD guide before Preparing...I just do not like them. I LOVE Preparing, if the student is old enough to do the independent stuff independently. I tried Beyond with the next younger student for his 1st grade, and we quit halfway through and just read the Christian Liberty Press science book and an Abeka history book. Adventures does not incorporate the LA and math at all, so you can do your own thing there. My random thoughts and a suggestion that you follow the same (or at least similar, and do Adventures this year) path.

Ooo...I'm so afraid the same thing will happen with Beyond! I just do NOT want to feel like this next year at this time. Ive heard Preparing is amazing. If I did your progression, my 2 would hit Preparing in 4th/3rd. I originally hoped to do it in 5th/4th. hmmm...I'm still trying to figure out if I can stomach Beyond, and of course maybe supplement with some other stuff. So far though, nothing seems quite right though. What was it about MFW that made you choose it over beyond? For me, it's not the format or boxes, but rather what's IN them. I do appreciate the lit suggestions but am having a hard time with the authors overall flavor, if that makes sense. Or maybe I just need more complete lessons, I don't know....

Ooo...I'm so afraid the same thing will happen with Beyond! I just do NOT want to feel like this next year at this time. Ive heard Preparing is amazing. If I did your progression, my 2 would hit Preparing in 4th/3rd. I originally hoped to do it in 5th/4th. hmmm...I'm still trying to figure out if I can stomach Beyond, and of course maybe supplement with some other stuff. So far though, nothing seems quite right though. What was it about MFW that made you choose it over beyond? For me, it's not the format or boxes, but rather what's IN them. I do appreciate the lit suggestions but am having a hard time with the authors overall flavor, if that makes sense. Or maybe I just need more complete lessons, I don't know....

Well, a little bit of it WAS the format, but more than that it was the book selection. My young ones couldn't handle the Beyond book about the pilgrims, and though I loved the Morning Bells book, I had to change the language constantly as I read. Honestly, I liked the worksheets/student pages for Adventures as well.  I did not love the projects for Beyond, personally. Oh, if you have one at that level, I did love doing the emerging reader stuff from Beyond. In fact, I did keep that manual so I can do that with my younger students.

Now, to say it again, I LOVED Preparing, and we may even stay with HOD past that, so I am in no way bashing it.......I just couldn't stomach Beyond, or Little Hands, or Little Hearts.

Hmm.I haven't gotten too far into HOD and am not sure if I have even gotten to things like narrations and note booking. Being a newbie homeschooler, I'm not super familiar with all of this lingo and what direction I even want. I LOVE HOD's catalog and the way they describe their programs, but LHFHG is such an epic fail for us. Honestly, I'm using it for the math plans, read alouds, and fine motor schedules (which are way too easy for my oldest, but we're doing it anyway)... And that's it. I dont like the bible and find it monotonous. The readings are kind of all over the place for me, and sometimes irrelevant or way over my kids' heads. But then I find the activities to be on the young side...I can't win! I'm not finding any fun in it. I'm not saying this to bash HOD, (oh how I WANT it to work so badly!) but to give you an idea of why it's not working for me, so that I can decide if adv. would work.

What I know I want (next year and long term)....

LOTS of great living books, all related to what we're studying

Fun projects that are not too complicated for me to plan, but enhance the learning and keep it fun

Lessons that are clearly laid out for me

Ability to teach the 3r's at my kids levels with whatever programs I choose (to give you an idea, we're loving AAR!)

history that progresses in some logical progression so that I don't miss anything

Science that is hands on and sparks an interest, good books again, logical progression would be good

Quality read alouds, if they relate to history, even better

Gentle art and music as a bonus (not necessary for a few years though...)

IS this MFW??????? I'm not asking too much, right? LOL!

My answers in red below. It sounds like you may love MFW! I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either and like someone said upthread, it's probably going to take you trying out each program to see which works better for you as a teacher and for your family dynamic:

LOTS of great living books, all related to what we're studying You will LOVE the MFW book basket lists. Be aware that you will need to hunt down these books at your library and make substitutions if your library does not have them
Fun projects that are not too complicated for me to plan, but enhance the learning and keep it fun I think you'll find the MFW activities to be very relevant to the history lesson
Lessons that are clearly laid out for me MFW is very easy to follow!
Ability to teach the 3r's at my kids levels with whatever programs I choose (to give you an idea, we're loving AAR!) Although you can do this with either program, you won't feel like you're "wasting" part of the program if you go with MFW. Although, I loved the gentle intro. to grammar in HOD, and the spelling and poetry aspects, as well.
history that progresses in some logical progression so that I don't miss anything For your ages, I think MFW is totally fine. Beyond would be more, but MFW definitely isn't lacking for 1st or 2nd grade.
Science that is hands on and sparks an interest, good books again, logical progression would be good As I said before, I wasn't overly impressed with either science program at this level. If I had to choose, I liked MFW science better, but I still found it too easy for us.
Quality read alouds, if they relate to history, even better Both read alouds are excellent. We are really liking the MFW read alouds this year, even though we've read a couple of them before. They are very relevant to the history.
Gentle art and music as a bonus (not necessary for a few years though...) Yes, MFW has this.

I've been staying out of this, but now I've read the whole thread and I'm ready to jump in!  :D

The other main posters on this thread know my back story regarding Adv, but I'll tell OP.  We are just starting week 9.  (It's been very slow moving for the last few weeks for us.)  Around week 6-7, I started to freak out.  I've used MFW for K and 1st.  It included everything.  Their 1st grade program is outstanding and full of LA's.  Adv is not meant to include LA.  I knew that.  But, I still was very taken aback at how much LA it lacks.  I was expecting more notebooking because there is a lot more in 1st.  I was expecting more content as well.  It felt very light. 

Now, 2-3 school weeks later (probably 6wks calendar weeks later), I'm feeling much better about the whole thing.  I realized a couple of things.  One huge thing I realized was that I wasn't taking full advantage of the book basket book list in the back.  1st was plenty without it.  I was really expecting that to be extra, not actually needed to make it a full program.  For our family, the book basket books are necessary to make the curriculum full.  I'm reading many of them out loud.  I am also drawing inspiration from other books lists, such as HOD ;), Beautiful Feet Early American History Package and some from Sonlight, though not as much. 

The other thing I've come to terms with is that it doesn't include LA.  *I* have to step up and provide all of that if I want it.  There is a little included in the program, but not very much, IMHO.  So, I'm adding letter writing, a few extra notebooking pages here and there and a few other things.  I'm not using their recommended LA's.  I use WWE and FLL.  Now that I've come to accept that I have to make sure to add in writing and LA's, I'm doing fine.  It just took some getting used to for me. 

One last thing, I've realized that the younger grades need to be strongly focused on the 3 R's.  Not being overwhelmed by content and projects and notebooking pages is allowing us the time we need to truly focus on those and still get plenty of content in.

So, now that I have those things figured out, I am happy with the program.  My kids are having a lot of fun.  My oldest is really enjoying finishing up learning about Ben Franklin (today is the last day for him). Just a week or so ago, he told me he loves history and is often asking to read/do more history.  I'm still not a big fan of the science, but I'll talk about that later.  The point is, I was unhappy, but now I'm fine and even happy.  :D

Now that you know where I am coming from:

First off, if you are going to use Adv, I would use it next for 1st and 2nd.  I do think it's fine for 2nd (with book basket books added for extra content), but I don't think it would be enough for 3rd.

Second, reading your list in the last post, I feel you might really like MFW.  I'll answer in red.

LOTS of great living books, all related to what we're studying You won't have tons of books sent to you like Sonlight. But, MFW book list in the back of the manual for book basket will give you tons and tons of living book ideas related to the topic being studied.  I actually have decided that in subsequent years (assuming we stick with MFW), I'm going to build my own book package and buy it at the beginning of the year.  I'm fine with the library, but I'd prefer to pull it off my shelf.  I may or may not invest in some books for the rest of the year...I'm waiting at least a month for now.  So, for this year (ADV), I'm using my library and it's working out well.

Fun projects that are not too complicated for me to plan, but enhance the learning and keep it fun I don't find the projects too complicated.  I'm not crafty at all and I've never had a problem doing them.  That said, I'm not into the projects, so I skip many of them.  We don't have time because of our family life (6 kids 7 and under, 2nd and twin K'ers, twin 3 year olds and a running, literally, 11 month old).  But, the projects that we do, my children really enjoy and I don't find them hard. 

Lessons that are clearly laid out for me I feel the lessons are pretty laid out.  The book basket books you add at your leisure.  They are not specifically scheduled though "book basket time" is listed in the grid.  Other than that, everything is planned out.

Ability to teach the 3r's at my kids levels with whatever programs I choose (to give you an idea, we're loving AAR!) MFW has this with Adv on up.  The programs do not include LA or math.  They do have recommendations, but you don't have to use them...I use some, not others.

history that progresses in some logical progression so that I don't miss anything We are only in Adv, but they have a 5 year cycle.  It's the WTM 4 year plus a year of geography.

Science that is hands on and sparks an interest, good books again, logical progression would be good I don't care for the MFW science.  I didn't in 1st and I don't again in 2nd.  (It's awesome in K.)  But, that is because I don't like hands on.  It is TONS of hands on. You may love it.  I've heard many moms say they like it because it "sparks the interest." There are books listed in the back for the science topics along with the history.  So, that's in there too.  

Quality read alouds, if they relate to history, even better The read alouds tie into history. My kids have LOVED them so far.

Gentle art and music as a bonus (not necessary for a few years though...) Both included and I have liked both so far in K and 1st and 2nd...although, I'll admit we have not been consistent with music and I haven't started art yet in 2nd.  (I'm getting him some really nice art supplies for his b-day in a few weeks and we will start then.) But, I know he is going to enjoy it.  I can tell by looking at it. 

IS this MFW??????? I'm not asking too much, right? LOL!  Personally, I really think this might be MFW.  It isn't perfect.  You very well may tweak and add and skip, but it might be the core program you are looking for.  I have not done or seen HOD.  But, my understanding is that many people who don't like one like the other because even though they are similar in idea and concept, they are opposite in practice.  Hopefully that makes sense.  I don't think you should just spend more money just because, but if you really don't like HOD, why not give MFW a try?  If you love it, it would definitely be worth it.  Of course, if you don't, you'll feel you made a mistake.  It's a risk either way.  Either way, you can resell what you don't like.  Pray about it. You still have time, even though I'm sure you are like me and want to know NOW what you are doing for the next 10 years.  LOL!  Try to relax.  Spend time praying and researching what might be best for your family.

Heather,

Wow, thank you for your insight! You had tons of great suggestions and advice. I loved your detailed responses about MFW. I would love to get a copy of the teachers manual in my hands, but I don't know a single soul who uses it around here. Maybe I will get to a convention someday and see it. I know it's a risk either way. Honestly though, I doubt at this point I will do Beyond because I am looking at it every day (I'm doing the 1st grade math plans with my son and so it's on the counter) and I'm kind of "meh" about it. I like some things, not others, etc. I'm pretty sure I'd be in the same boat as this year. Based on your response, I think I would really like MFW.

I think at this point, I'm torn between just focusing on the 3 R's and not doing any history or science, OR doing adventures. Someone (can't remember who right now) wrote about just doing the 3 R's until 3rd grade and that really resonated with me. But could I actually DO it? Could this curriculum junkie DO it? Ha ha. Not sure. I'm quite tempted though...I think I would naturally tie in a bunch of stuff (from my mega library) but maybe not feel pressured to stick to a schedule. But then again, if it's not scheduled, it probably would not get done because there's always something "else" to do, kwim?  I sometimes wonder where the time will come from in the future with 2, soon to be 3, toddlers who constantly derail us. But I know it's a phase, and YOU are doing it with 6, so there's hope right?

Anyway, just wanted to thank you (and everyone else who so thoughtfully commented) for helping me sort through all of this. It really really helped! Blessings-

Gratitude mentioned just doing the 3 R's.  I agree with her.  The 3 R's are all you truly need.  For us, we need the content subjects to make school fun.  I'm not good at pulling anything together on my own.  I don't find the 3 R's alone to be fun.  I mean, my kids actually do like WWE and FLL.  But, they aren't "fun" if you know what I mean.  So, I want the history and science to add enrichment and fun to our day.  We wouldn't get history naturally because it just isn't something that draws my children in without purposely doing it. 

We enjoy reading together, but without a schedule and at least a little guidance, I tend to not do it.  So, I like the curriculum for that too.

We do very well unschooling science.  In fact, I take a very laid back approach to science because we get so much of it.  Last year, we raised turtles from eggs to adult and still have one as a pet.  We've done tadpoles to frogs and tons of caterpillars to moths/butterflies.  We've even raised flies from maggots.  (That was not my idea! :ack2:  But, it was sort of cool. :blush: ) We have a veggie garden and explore the woods and pond behind our house.  My son gets book after book after book about animals and science from the library.  His personal reading is CLE's science readers.  LOL!!  He is currently planning a zoo he wants to open when he is an adult.  He wants to include an insect house and he is researching interesting insects to include.  He is all insects all the time right now!  So, science is definitely not an issue and I try not to overshadow his love of science and animals by doing too much scheduled science.  Though, he really loves our Apologia Flying Creatures.  He asks to do it all the time.  They get earth science through MFW.  We don't actually use it, but this week it's rocks...so, I'll check books out of the library about them and read them the relevant pages in the ADV books if we have time.  We just don't bother to do the hands on stuff very often. 

Anyway, I really just meant to give you my perspective on just doing the 3 R's.  It's totally all that is needed.  If you can have a fun day, just doing those, go for it.  We do the content subjects for the fun and I need the schedule to stay on track. 

I'm glad my first post helped you.  :thumbup:

ETA - Focusing on the 3 R's is one of the reasons I decided that Adv was enough.  It is the content we need for fun, but not so overflowing with content that we have no time to focus on the 3R's.  They are the most important.  They are foundation of any good education.  So, any content subject needs to be secondary to that and support those skill subjects in the early years.  The only thing more important in our household is Bible.  :D

"If you can have a fun day, just doing those, go for it."

I'm honestly not sure of the answer to this question, and I suspect if I can figure that put, I will have all the answers :-)

I'm sure doing the 3 R's would be hugely beneficial in that it would cement these ultra important areas. I'm quite tempted. I wouldn't feel pressured, have time with my littles, and have less stress...

But on the OTHER hand, I really want to I still a love of learning early on, especially with one of my guys. I'm already starting to hear the moans and groans about doing schoolwork, and believe me, we keep it light. That is not what I dreamt of when I decided to homeschool. I imagined kids begging to do more, reading up on things that interest them, jumping at the chance to do projects, etc. Well, not surprisingly they are not super thrilled, but really, what I'm doing with them now is not super thrilling! I feel a little like we need some fun thrown in, and I'm not inclined to do that sort of thing on my own without being told "do this on Tuesday". The proof is the cute art and science preschool books that have never been opened sitting on a shelf.

I agree that a schedule might suit me. I'm actually glad that MFW is light on history, because I personally don't feel young kids should be bogged down with facts/places/details that they won't remember anyway. I have an avid reader in my oldest so I can really see him going to town with the book basket. Great thoughts everyone!

Adventures does not incorporate the LA and math at all, so you can do your own thing there.

Just to explain a bit more for anyone who's not aware....  Adventures (and all the MFW years, in fact) do schedule LA skills via copywork, narrations, dictation, and memory work.  Then Marie has left a block on the grid for each of the other "formal" skills, i.e., English, Spelling, Handwriting, Composition, etc., as well as Math.  That's where you can plug in whatever you like best for the 3 R's.  This is one of the things that makes MFW flexible for multiple ages that you're schooling together... each child gets the 3 R's at their own level, according to your choice.  When I was schooling my girls together in the elementary years, I would always photocopy the grid, one for each child, and write in their 3 R's on their own copy of the grid, and then put that right into their binders for permanent recordkeeping.

[i think at this point, I'm torn between just focusing on the 3 R's and not doing any history or science, OR doing adventures.

You can wait until the oldest is in 2nd or 3rd grade to do Adventures.... but focus on the 3 R's and Bible between now and then, as well as reading lots of quality children's literature and fun, hands-on science.  Meanwhile, I still recommend FIAR for this. ;)  Really, FIAR is fun and flexible.... you can simply enjoy the booklist and not do any activities with it, or use the manuals and do everything there, or just some of it, or however you want according to time and motivation. FIAR is a *wonderful* resource that I will never sell... I did it exclusively with my oldest at that age, and have "rowed" some of the books with the other two off and on whenever they fit nicely with a history or science topic in MFW.  But I may have to buy another set of manuals so that my oldest doesn't steal mine when she has her own kids. :lol:

"If you can have a fun day, just doing those, go for it."

I'm honestly not sure of the answer to this question, and I suspect if I can figure that put, I will have all the answers :-)

I'm sure doing the 3 R's would be hugely beneficial in that it would cement these ultra important areas. I'm quite tempted. I wouldn't feel pressured, have time with my littles, and have less stress...

But on the OTHER hand, I really want to I still a love of learning early on, especially with one of my guys. I'm already starting to hear the moans and groans about doing schoolwork, and believe me, we keep it light. That is not what I dreamt of when I decided to homeschool. I imagined kids begging to do more, reading up on things that interest them, jumping at the chance to do projects, etc. Well, not surprisingly they are not super thrilled, but really, what I'm doing with them now is not super thrilling! I feel a little like we need some fun thrown in, and I'm not inclined to do that sort of thing on my own without being told "do this on Tuesday". The proof is the cute art and science preschool books that have never been opened sitting on a shelf.

I agree that a schedule might suit me. I'm actually glad that MFW is light on history, because I personally don't feel young kids should be bogged down with facts/places/details that they won't remember anyway. I have an avid reader in my oldest so I can really see him going to town with the book basket. Great thoughts everyone!

What about dropping everything for now except Bible and the 3R's??  I'm not sure what you are doing exactly, but you don't need anything extra this year for sure.  They are in K and 1st.  If they aren't enjoying it, don't bother.  Pushing when they are young and don't like it doesn't instillthe love of learning.  Of course, mine moans and groans about math and sometimes something that involves writing.  Those things are non-negotiable.  But, I wouldn't (and didn't) push the content subjects if they don't enjoy it.  Take them to the library and let them pick out science books from the animal shelf or books on volcanoes or whatever.  Allowing them those rabbit trails is what really instills that love of learning because they are enjoying it. 

So, I would drop any content they aren't enjoying.  Revisit it next year if you decide you want to.  Let them be kids this year...except for the 3 R's. ;)

Just a thought. 

Just to explain a bit more for anyone who's not aware....  Adventures (and all the MFW years, in fact) do schedule LA skills via copywork, narrations, dictation, and memory work.  Then Marie has left a block on the grid for each of the other "formal" skills, i.e., English, Spelling, Handwriting, Composition, etc., as well as Math.  That's where you can plug in whatever you like best for the 3 R's.  This is one of the things that makes MFW flexible for multiple ages that you're schooling together... each child gets the 3 R's at their own level, according to your choice.  When I was schooling my girls together in the elementary years, I would always photocopy the grid, one for each child, and write in their 3 R's on their own copy of the grid, and then put that right into their binders for permanent recordkeeping.

Thanks for adding that.  I was thinking about it, but didn't actually state it.  I find in Adv the LA to be very light and therefore almost none, especially coming off 1st.  :blush:  But, you are absolutely correct.  There is a little.  I should have noted that. 

When my oldest was in kindergarten she did the 3R's plus seasonal crafts.  It was so much fun.  We read seasonal and other fun books and did seasonal crafts.  Friday was our nature study day, and our other subjects tied into nature study, too.  Like in September we counted, added, subtracted, made patterns with leaves and apples.  We also made apple prints.  In October we measured pumpkins and decorated them.  Wee Folk Art seems to include some of the things that we did: http://weefolkart.com/content/homeschool-companion-guides  If we have time (big if!) I hope to do some of this with my 3yo when he is in kindergarten.

Just read-alouds in addition to the 3R's could be fun.  What worked/works well for us when we don't have a curriculum grid in front of us is to schedule a time block for particular things each week.  By scheduling nature math or picture book math on Fridays I make sure it gets done.  Otherwise, it would get left out.  It does mean that I have to spend time looking at books and websites for ideas, but I find that fun.

We are currently using MFW Adventures.  We started in November last year, had to take a huge break due to illness for 2 months, and are finishing up now.  My oldest two were 3rd and 1st last year and 4th and 2nd this year.  The book basket helped to make it enough for my oldest, though I can certainly see how it is ideal in second.  It was a little much for my first grader, though he had just started reading last September and was still working on handwriting skills, too.  My oldest would have done well with it in first grade.  To beef things up for her, we also borrow chapter books from Sonlight's book list.  The kids have enjoyed the science in MFW even though a lot of it they already knew.  They enjoy the explorations.  I also like that they are learning about the states.  Most states have several picture books and we have enjoyed those a lot.

Okay, I went back and read a couple of posts that I'd missed earlier.....

A few people mentioned Book Basket and the library, but I didn't see anyone mention the fact that Marie has asterisked some of the titles in Book Basket that she recommends for purchase.  Thus, if you're one who likes to have the books on your shelf instead of using the library, you can do that.  Lots of MFW users buy books from SL or HOD or other places to use in lieu of Book Basket (library).  So that's an option, too.  In fact, you'll find many of the titles from several different companies -- SL, HOD, FIAR, etc. -- on the MFW BB list.  They're book titles... and if they're really good ones, they're bound to be sold or recommended by a lot of different curriculum providers. ;)

You'll also find some *video* recommendations popping up on the MFW BB list here and there, which will go along with whatever you're studying in history, science, art, or Bible.  (Not every week, but several times throughout the year.)  The BB list is always broken down by week # and/or topic, so it's easy to look at it ahead of time and either buy, or get from the library those titles that you're interested in perusing.

Another thing I like about MFW is how Marie has listed all the consumable materials (or materials you might not normally have in the house) that you'll need for projects each week at the beginning of that week's lessons.  For example, in Week 33 of ADV, right at the top of the page across from the weekly grid, she tells you to check for ingredients for Navajo Fry Bread (shown below on that page), a plastic bag, bucket or circular object such as a plate, thread, and the Miracle Worker video.  I always check the following week's supply list a week ahead so that I can add whatever I need to that week's shopping list.

Someone mentioned writing.... MFW follows the CM (Charlotte Mason) philosophy of NOT doing a formal writing program at this level, so, like CM, they focus more on simple copywork, narrations (both oral and written), and dictation to help build a foundation for that skill.  (Written narrations are part of the whole notebooking idea, and you'll find pre-printed narration sheets in the Student Sheets set.  That's not ALL the Student Sheets include, though.)  Then they recommend beginning a more formal writing program in 3rd or 4th grade, depending on the student.  Also, you'll begin to see weekly letter-writing scheduled in ECC. 

BUT.... there's also plenty of room on the weekly grid in ADV to write in your writing/composition program if you're using one.  So there's that flexibility.  It just depends on where *your* child/ren are at, and what you're needing to focus on with each one.

Anyway, just thought I'd add a bit more insight to make you crazy.  Just like the rest of us. :hurray:

Thanks for adding that.  I was thinking about it, but didn't actually state it.  I find in Adv the LA to be very light and therefore almost none, especially coming off 1st.  :blush:  But, you are absolutely correct.  There is a little.  I should have noted that. 

Oh, not a problem at all!  You're right, ADV *is* light in LA compared to 1st.  Now it's my turn to say that I should've explained that a little better. :001_smile:  

For those who aren't sure what we mean...  Because the main core of the 1st grade program *is* phonics, reading, and language arts, it's pretty complete in that area.  But then they re-direct the main focus of the program after 1st grade because you're (general "you") more likely to be wanting to combine children in the content subjects once they know how to read, so it might seem like a big switch in both skill and content.  With ADV and forward, they then provide more flexibility in the areas of math and LA to better be able to accommodate multiple children.  Hopefully that makes sense. :)

Oh, not a problem at all!  You're right, ADV *is* light in LA compared to 1st.  Now it's my turn to say that I should've explained that a little better. :001_smile:  

For those who aren't sure what we mean...  Because the main core of the 1st grade program *is* phonics, reading, and language arts, it's pretty complete in that area.  But then they re-direct the main focus of the program after 1st grade because you're (general "you") more likely to be wanting to combine children in the content subjects once they know how to read, so it might seem like a big switch in both skill and content.  With ADV and forward, they then provide more flexibility in the areas of math and LA to better be able to accommodate multiple children.  Hopefully that makes sense. :)

sorry, I lost track... did y'all also mention that in ADV, you add in English with Primary Language Lessons, and a formal spelling workbook.

that's in addition to the built in language arts with copywork, weekly dictation starting in week 6, and even lab report writing, and of course reading time on the grid and read alouds and independent basket... 

if I'm repeating.. oops.....  but I don't really agree that Lang arts is lighter in ADV.  I agree that they don't do as many notebook pages in history in ADV as they did for Bible reader in first.

It is carried across the curriculum, and English and spelling are separate skill based stuff instead of it all being related to unit study.  Just because you don't have the students write as many history notebook pages doesn't mean it slacks off.  They sub in science writing where that wasn't done in first.  the whole PLL thing (or if you use other materials)

well, really, I'm just typing to wind down from NCIS and NCIS LA premiere tonight...   and that happened now so I should shut up because I'm confusing it more...   must leave thread.

Amysue,

I think your idea of the 3 Rs and pulling books off the shelf as a focus through 3rd is a WONDERFUL idea. I have often said in the past few months that history & science really could have waited until 5th & been beneficial to do so. I actually wish I had done it myself. This year with a 4th, 3rd, 1st & 4 year old with DS it is in fact what I am focused on: the 3 Rs and Bible and reading aloud. ECC geography I get to about once a week. We have had so much content subjects since K I have found some 3 R attention at this point as necessary for different reasons for each of them. I wish I had done it sooner.

I liked Heathers post too. I think you will figure everything out for your children.

Blessings,

*hijack*

We are having very similar school years! I have 6th, 4th, and 1st graders and a 1 yr old with DS! I asked DH what he wanted me to do this year. He said 3Rs, Bible, practice piano. I also read aloud to them. I'm loving it! Geography, history, art, science - that's all gravy this year! (My oldest is attending a co-op, which helps ease my mind of any guilt.)

Do you have a blog? Are you planning to hs your child with DS? Idk what we will do with him; his therapists are working with us with the goal of him attending school at 3, but that's so young... I do know about Barbara Frank Online, but it's always good to have other resources. :)

sorry, I lost track... did y'all also mention that in ADV, you add in English with Primary Language Lessons, and a formal spelling workbook.

that's in addition to the built in language arts with copywork, weekly dictation starting in week 6, and even lab report writing, and of course reading time on the grid and read alouds and independent basket... 

if I'm repeating.. oops.....  but I don't really agree that Lang arts is lighter in ADV.  I agree that they don't do as many notebook pages in history in ADV as they did for Bible reader in first.

It is carried across the curriculum, and English and spelling are separate skill based stuff instead of it all being related to unit study.  Just because you don't have the students write as many history notebook pages doesn't mean it slacks off.  They sub in science writing where that wasn't done in first.  the whole PLL thing (or if you use other materials)

Well, I didn't really elaborate on the "formal" LA that MFW recommends because the OP had stated that they like what they're currently using for the 3 R's.  But I did say that the grid has places where she can write in whatever she's using for each child on their own copies of the grid. :)

And yes, Marie describes *how to use* their recommended LA choices in the teacher notes at the front of the manual, so the guidance is there if you want it for those resources.  (Reading Marie's notes is crucial to understanding what to do and how to adapt things for the different ages you're teaching, if you're unsure.) 

It's also wise to read up on a CM education to see how that compares with what Marie is doing.  Sometimes we have an idea of what we *think* CM is vs. what it really is, but then we get into a particular program and we go, "Is this really CM or not?  Just how many of her methods do I want to pursue in MY homeschool, anyway?"  It's okay to not do ALL CM in every single area -- we don't live in turn-of-the-century England, after all. ;)  And homeschool laws are different in every state here in the 21st century U.S., so.... you have to apply what works for you, and discard or supplement what doesn't. 

Educate yourself, AmySue. :001_smile:  Your original post sounds like you know what you want in general, so go with your gut.  One of the biggest mistakes (or maybe we can call it "part of our education"?) that we moms can make when homeschooling is to be doubleminded and lose precious time with our children trying a lot of different things that really aren't US.  Now sometimes it's valuable to try something else, because sometimes we just don't know whether it'll work unless we try it.  Sometimes we have to try different things to find our groove.  But in hindsight, as I look back over our 13 years of homeschooling and am about to graduate our firstborn, I can honestly say that the BIGGEST mistake I've made is trying and re-trying things that I *know* don't work for our family because I read a post (or multiple posts) by others raving about it and making me second guess my choices.  In the end, I find that I'm pretty eclectic, but I like having a "spine" so to speak to work out from.  I'm pretty CM'ish, so when I start getting overwhelmed, I go back to reading her books (or books about her) to ground myself again.  One of my favorites, or rather a set of two, are called A Charlotte Mason Education and More Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison.  I also like For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macauley.  If you haven't read any of those, I highly recommend them.  The original series of books that Miss Mason wrote can be found online here in update language:  http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/toc.html

Another important factor?  Get plenty of sleep, eat healthy, and stay in the Word.  These three areas being messed up will cloud up *everything*. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your kiddos!  When people tell you that they grow up too fast?  They're not lying. :001_smile:

Another important factor?  Get plenty of sleep, eat healthy, and stay in the Word.  These three areas being messed up will cloud up *everything*. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your kiddos!  When people tell you that they grow up too fast?  They're not lying. :001_smile:

:hurray:  :iagree:

*hijack*

We are having very similar school years! I have 6th, 4th, and 1st graders and a 1 yr old with DS! I asked DH what he wanted me to do this year. He said 3Rs, Bible, practice piano. I also read aloud to them. I'm loving it! Geography, history, art, science - that's all gravy this year! (My oldest is attending a co-op, which helps ease my mind of any guilt.)

Do you have a blog? Are you planning to hs your child with DS? Idk what we will do with him; his therapists are working with us with the goal of him attending school at 3, but that's so young... I do know about Barbara Frank Online, but it's always good to have other resources. :)

We are having similar years!  Your DH showed great wisdom.  I have been trying to 'do it all' like I would if I didn't have a DS child, and it resulted in a near burn out last June.  Over time I have realized she really does take extra work and a lot of my energy.  I guess I have known that from day 1, but it sank in more over time.

I am loving pulling back too!  Bible and the 3 Rs and reading aloud to them is plenty in our situation!  Whatever geography and science I have done this school year has been gravy as well.  I have both, but I am not feeling guilt (finally) over the fact that once or twice week for either is really all that we can do.

I don't have a blog.  It does cross my mind from time to time.  Do you have one?

I have questioned my choice to home school our child with DS, but it is what we have done.  She had a lot of medical issues early on and by the time we called early intervention she was 2 1/2, and too close to age 3 to receive it.  We did do a lot of therapy this past summer and the summer prior to it.  I had an epiphany of sorts recently though after a session.  The therapist couldn't get her to do a certain food activity at the session.  I came home and had her do the same activity 10 times repeatedly in 2 minutes with ease.  It suddenly hit me for the first time that some of the reasons I choose to home school apply just as much, if not more, to her.  I can reach her more easily in the areas she needs work since I have a relationship with her.  When I take her to an appointment they are only as far as their relationship has built over once a week sessions; thus, she does far less for the therapist at a session than she is able to do at home in the areas she is working on in therapy.   It reminded me of a young DS boy we knew at one point that would eat at school (where he was taught to eat by therapists) but not eat at home.  Hmmm....  Where I want her to learn and apply knowledge is at home since at 18 she won't be going into the world.  These are recent light bulbs, but I think it is the first confirmation I have had for our decision to home school her.  At 4 1/2 she is wearing 2T / 3T clothes and reminds me of my other children at around 18 months.  Sending her to a big public school for K next year would be like sending a toddler, one year old, to public school.  I don't know if other DS children are where she is at for this age, but for her it would seem close to crazy to me.  You are correct though early intervention leads right into age 3 pre school with the public school system that leads to special education classes in the public school.  My understanding is the classes focus a lot on OT, physical therapy, etc.  It is what has made me doubt home schooling her.  I can not give her that type of class instruction or attention.  I do though know what stage she is at and what she needs to learn next and I can work on those things like I would with another child.  The thing I have noticed about DS is they learn just LIKE our other children.  It is just SLOWER.  For example, right now she is testing me and testing boundaries just like any child between 12 - 18 months of age does.  She tests exactly the same.  She just does it more times before she stops.  Or, learning to eat with a spoon.  My other kids picked up the spoon, tried it, and did it.  We had to teach her to feed herself with a spoon and it took weeks of effort.  Every tiny stage of development other kids fly through in hours she might spend weeks on.  So to teach her something we just need to include all those baby steps.  We also need to teach things we never taught our other children.  She did learn to walk on her own though just like they all do!  A DS parent once told me the old word no one likes of retarded actually describes the situation well.  Retarded just means slowed down.  It means to go slower.  It describes the physics of what is really happening for a child with DS.  They learn more slowly.  Not differently, slower.  

Rod and Staff has a book I want to order at some point that another mom recommended on-line with a DS child she home schools.  She said that reading it helped a lot.  Here is the link:

Rod and Staff Books & More: Special Education

I am glad you are having a good year!  I am too...peaceful.  It gives me the time I need to be in the Word, if I don't try to do more than we can do.  

I am glad you hijacked.  I hope the original OP doesn't mind!  It always helps to have a minute with another mom with a DS child.  I hope it is going well for your family.   :)

Hmm.I haven't gotten too far into HOD and am not sure if I have even gotten to things like narrations and note booking. Being a newbie homeschooler, I'm not super familiar with all of this lingo and what direction I even want. I LOVE HOD's catalog and the way they describe their programs, but LHFHG is such an epic fail for us. Honestly, I'm using it for the math plans, read alouds, and fine motor schedules (which are way too easy for my oldest, but we're doing it anyway)... And that's it. I dont like the bible and find it monotonous. The readings are kind of all over the place for me, and sometimes irrelevant or way over my kids' heads. But then I find the activities to be on the young side...I can't win! I'm not finding any fun in it. I'm not saying this to bash HOD, (oh how I WANT it to work so badly!) but to give you an idea of why it's not working for me, so that I can decide if adv. would work.

LOTS of great living books, all related to what we're studying

Fun projects that are not too complicated for me to plan, but enhance the learning and keep it fun

Lessons that are clearly laid out for me

Ability to teach the 3r's at my kids levels with whatever programs I choose (to give you an idea, we're loving AAR!)

history that progresses in some logical progression so that I don't miss anything

Science that is hands on and sparks an interest, good books again, logical progression would be good

Quality read alouds, if they relate to history, even better

Gentle art and music as a bonus (not necessary for a few years though...)

Yes, this is MFW.

FWIW, I am passionately in love with HOD on paper. In real life it is not a good fit AT ALL for many of the reasons shared here. LHFHG is also strongly disliked by me although my kids enjoy Burgess and my daughter loves the Rhymes. We also use the Emerging Readers. My kids don't fit into those boxes and I feel like I am in a straitjacket. Some Moms are liberated by it so it is surely a style preference .....

I appreciate Donna's wisdom which in essence is to know yourself and your kids and enjoy them. I spent two school years pooping around in indecision and trying to make HOD fit. Our BEST school years were with Sonlight and MFW. So far this year is going well and I am totally eclectic.

You aren't asking for too much but if you want something laid out bear in mind there will be aspects of the program that don't suit you. You have to take it in stride and keep that big picture in mind. If it is working for you overall and meeting those awesome goals you shared then stay the course.

Wish Id been so thoughtful early on and wishing I had stayed the course with what was working. In our case it was MFW and Sonlight. ;) What I want matches your list so perhaps MFW will fit you as it fit me. Sonlight becomes a great book list reference and you will find all of those Sonlight books and more in the awesome Book Basket. Science can always be modified to suit you and I don't think it matters at all what they study before junior high school but that is MHO. ;)

School is starting here so I am off to teach and play!

This just may be my last question, can you believe it? :-)

I do have an interest in doing HOD's Preparing at some point. If I did, where would be a logical place to insert it? Is there a MFW program that covers the same content, or is considered one in the same?

Lastly, I don't see American history anywhere on the 5 year cycle. Do any of you add it? I'd like to study it again at some point before high school. Thoughts?

Another consideration for you would be that ADV does some basic note booking that Carrie doesn't start until Preparing. It depends on your children the path that will work better in that area.

Notebooking with HOD starts with Bigger Hearts, and I agree with Donna I would not do Preparing with a 2nd and 3rd grader. I own and have used all HOD guides from Little Hands-CTC, but I have no experience with MFW other than browsing their website. ;) I think something many people miss with HOD is the progression as you go through guides. You really can't take one HOD guide and decide if you like HOD. There is a progression of skills and learning that a child goes through as they complete guides. Not sure if that makes sense but as my older dc have each gone through several I can see where HOD is headed and get a better idea of everything they will learn through the years. In the end I think it is better to pick something for the year and embrace it rather than to keep changing and worrying about choosing the "best" program.

Notebooking with HOD starts with Bigger Hearts, and I agree with Donna I would not do Preparing with a 2nd and 3rd grader. I own and have used all HOD guides from Little Hands-CTC, but I have no experience with MFW other than browsing their website. ;) I think something many people miss with HOD is the progression as you go through guides. You really can't take one HOD guide and decide if you like HOD. There is a progression of skills and learning that a child goes through as they complete guides. Not sure if that makes sense but as my older dc have each gone through several I can see where HOD is headed and get a better idea of everything they will learn through the years. In the end I think it is better to pick something for the year and embrace it rather than to keep changing and worrying about choosing the "best" program.

Well, that's a bummer because I've always been intreged by it.  I was thinking of possibly doing Bigger next year as a bridge between Adv and ECC in MFW.  (I don't think my son will be ready for ECC next year for reasons I won't go into now unless someone needs me to. ;)) I was hoping to get a feel for the program at that point and either realize it's what I've been searching for all my HS'ing life ;) or that MFW is really a better fit for us.  I'd like to stop the "is the grass really greener" drooling, know what I mean.  Anyway, what you are saying makes total sense.  I feel the same about MFW K. I didn't fully get where it was going until we did 1st. I totally get it now and fully appreciate it and love it.    So, I completely understand what you are saying.  :D  I do still think you can decide if you like the overall feel of a program and the way it's laid out and such by just doing one year though.  It just may be harder to understand some of the content choices in that one year alone.  At any rate, I still don't know exactly what we are doing next year.  But, I have months to research till my head feels like it will explode.  :lol:

OP - Edited my info about when to insert Preparing because I was wrong...oops!!

You will study US history again in the context of world history.  So, Exploration to 1850 should have a good deal of US and 1850 to Modern Times as well.  There is not another year solely focused on US history, but it's there in full.  I love US history too.  I can't wait to study it over and over again.  :D

OP - I don't know, but I *think* Preparing is ancient...correct?  So, in MFW that would be Creation to the Greeks.  If you wanted to do Preparing instead, I think you could sub that, but it isn't geared toward multiple children.  So, you would lose that aspect.  I think they are fairly different in the way they teach the content also...I know MFW comes at it with the Bible as the spine.  I don't think HOD does, but I haven't looked at Preparing too much, just a little. 

Preparing is an overview of world history from creation until modern times. There is ancients in it but CTC is the guide that covers ancients. Preparing and CTC both use Bible reading for history as well as other history books. I also wanted to say it is perfectly fine to just use one HOD guide. What I meant was you can't really judge HOD as a whole by one guide(especially doing like 3 weeks of it or something). That would be like reading one random book out of a series. I'm not sure if that makes sense but it does in my head. ;)