Menu

Do you find Mystery of History to be enough history?

Here is my dilemma? My son who is a 6th grader this year is just not a big history buff, but he does enjoy it when we stick to biographies and factual information. We use Sonlight (this year Core E) He enjoys learning and discussing the facts but the historical fiction is really hit and miss. So, I have been using Sonlight for years but just thinking it's not gonna work much longer. 

I am thinking Mystery of History. I like the Christian perspective, that is very important to me. I am wondering if it's enough for him. I was thinking of adding in some biographies here and there and an Usborne World History or Kingfisher World History book. He really likes the facts stuff. 

When I look at MOH I love it, but each lesson doesn't seem to have very much information. There doesn't seem to be much depth. But, maybe I don't need that. I guess that is sort of what I am asking, how much depth do I really need. Especially if I add in some biographies and the Usborne book. It is still rather light for history compared to Sonlight, but I just sort of feel done with making history such a HUGE part of our homeschool like with Sonlight. I would really like to read A LOT more literature books that are not related to history at all. Since history is just not a major interest for him I would like to have the time for my son to read other literature that he may find interesting and enjoy more. 

I would like to use MOH from 7th grade through 10th. Than for 11th/12th maybe go back to Sonlight for a specific American History course and Government/Econ. 

We just finished using MOH for 3 years and we loved it!  I found it was just enough for a framework without being dry or boring.  The supplemental activities is what sold me - my dc loved researching topics and said it made what they were learning more applicable.  We read a lot of literature yet watched even more movies which we all enjoyed tremendously.  I detested history after about 6th grade as it was SO boring; MOH is what I wish I had learned from growing up.  

Well, I was having these very same thoughts today.  We are using Mystery of History with WP Quest for the Ancient World, and it doesn't really have a lot of information, IMO.  WP supplements with the Internet Linked Usborne Encyclopedia of the Ancient World and SOTW, and together, they are adequate.   Of these three, I think the Usborne book packs the most information into a minimal amount of words.  

I feel it has enough. Ds is now doing vol. 3 and his grasp of history has never been better. Between the readings they give and the research he does for assignments it covers more then just a typical textbook, giving insight to all those missing pieces most textbooks leave out but are important to the fabric of history as well as key historical events/people. MOH has a listing of books to add if you want more. What I am finding is MOH is so different then other history courses (either textbook type or literature type) but also so interesting that it peaks my sons interest that while he is doing the assigned research he is likely to search out more links because his interest has been stimulated.

We are using it for High School history and I feel it has been more then enough for a credit in history each year.

This is very encouraging, thank you. I haven't had a chance to really get a good look at it. I don't own a copy yet and just looking at samples. It sounds like there is more to it than just the reading in the lesson and comprehension questions. I am glad to hear of the research aspect. I did notice this in some of the samples online but I didn't know how much or how many lessons would have that. 

I feel terrible saying this, but I am rather anxious to finish our Sonlight Core so we can move on to this! :) I think my son will enjoy this so much better. I do hope my daughter will take to Sonlight better because I do really like that curriculum. But, it's hard when you don't have a child who is enthusiastic. I guess I don't expect my son to love history in the same way he loves Minecraft or Legos, but some enthusiasm would just make it easier to teach. 

We are just starting, but I think it's plenty.  I remember so little from history I learned in school anyway.  I think by adding in a few living books, they'll be way ahead of PS kids.  I also like that they have so much review...my DC forget so much of what we've covered, and I'm hoping this will help.  We've done very few of the extra activities, but I still feel like they are learning quite a bit.

I will caution you to pre-read.  I read part of the first MOH book and found some of her stuff to be extra-biblical and some things in stories she just assumed that was not in the Bible at all.  So that is something to keep in mind. 

Examples?  Sometimes the evidence of biblical history exists outside of the Bible itself....  I do know what you mean about speculation, though.  Heck, a lot of pastors -- a *LOT* of a pastors, especially these days -- speculate a whole lot about what things mean without first consulting the Greek and Hebrew languages, archeological evidence, the culture at the time and what the direct audience would've understood them to be saying, etc.  So while I agree that we have to be careful with extra-biblical sources, that doesn't necessarily mean they're incorrect.

Examples?  Sometimes the evidence of biblical history exists outside of the Bible itself....  I do know what you mean about speculation, though.  Heck, a lot of pastors -- a *LOT* of a pastors, especially these days -- speculate a whole lot about what things mean without first consulting the Greek and Hebrew languages, archeological evidence, the culture at the time and what the direct audience would've understood them to be saying, etc.  So while I agree that we have to be careful with extra-biblical sources, that doesn't necessarily mean they're incorrect.

For example, she talks about Esau being red-headed as if it were a fact.  A lot of her interpretations are written as if a fact.  For example, Eve was responsible for Adam eating the fruit (because he couldn't have possibly made his own decision, right?) and has a very strong WOS spin on that story.  You just need to  watch for her opinion being spewed as fact.  Some of it was contrary to how I interpret the same scriptures/stories.

For example, she talks about Esau being red-headed as if it were a fact.  A lot of her interpretations are written as if a fact.  For example, Eve was responsible for Adam eating the fruit (because he couldn't have possibly made his own decision, right?) and has a very strong WOS spin on that story.  You just need to  watch for her opinion being spewed as fact.  Some of it was contrary to how I interpret the same scriptures/stories.

Actually, I think it *is* a fact that Esau was red-headed.  From Gen. 25:25 in the NKJV, "And the first came out red.  He was like a hairy garment all over; so they called his name Esau."   And then in verse 30, "And Esau said to Jacob, "Please feed me with that same red stew, for I am weary. Therefore his name was called Edom."  (Edom in Hebrew means "red".) 

The JPS (Jewish Publication Society's English translation of the Tanakh/Jewish Bible) puts verse 25 this way, "And the first came forth ruddy all over like a hairy mantle, and they called his name Esau."  The word ruddy is a translation of the Hebrew word Admoni, which means red in reference to hair.

So I think the author of MOH is right about that.  BUT..... you reminded me why I haven't been using MOH all along. :001_rolleyes:   (I was watching this thread because I was reconsidering it for my youngest.)  Several years ago, after we had done the time period for volume 2 with another curriculum and we then listened to MOH 2 on CD, I just about came unglued because of her "opinions".  We noticed *several* things she said that really didn't portray fact but were clearly her personal opinions.  (I had forgotten all about this!)  Now, everybody has 'em, right?  Opinions, that is....  But it was the WAY she said certain things that bugged me... as if they were fact, when we had studied history with other (reliable and Christian) sources that showed something different.  I guess that's why I've always preferred to use a wide variety of resources for studying history rather than one author's (or publisher's) "opinion text", with some facts mixed in. :confused1:   

Her dependence on Wikipedia as a reliable source is bothersome, too. 

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound slanderous.  I really don't.  This is just my opinion about studying history in general.  If you ARE going to consult sources like Wiki and trust the author of any (one) history text (whether it be MOH or someone else), make sure you're getting the full picture from more reliable sources as well. 

Dahliarw, what is "WOS"?  I agree with you on the other comment, though... it doesn't matter whether Eve technically sinned first or not, because God held ADAM responsible.  He was *supposed* to be providing for and protecting the wife that God gave him.  (Which he then blamed God for -- for giving her to him -- instead of taking responsibility for his own sin!)  See Romans chapter 5.  It was because of Adam's sin (not Eve's) that Christ the Redeemer had to come.  To me, that's a very important detail that shouldn't be left out when telling the story.

WOS = Woman Only Submission (as opposed to mutual submission).  I'll disagree with you on the red thing, but that's my interpretation.  And I would be ok if she said "most likely" red headed or something.   :)

As for Adam, if you really study the Hebrew and context and compare it to other verses, it seems that God holds Adam MORE accountable than Eve.  The Bible says she was deceived, it does not say Adam was deceived, which implies he made a more knowledgeable choice.  But that's a whole other rabbit trail...

As for Adam, if you really study the Hebrew and context and compare it to other verses, it seems that God holds Adam MORE accountable than Eve.  The Bible says she was deceived, it does not say Adam was deceived, which implies he made a more knowledgeable choice.  But that's a whole other rabbit trail...

Yes, that's what I said.  Romans chapter 5 confirms this. ;)

I really don't want this thread to turn into what is factual and what is not in MOH. I don't like how those threads usually go. Mostly I just want to know if this will be a good amount of history, especially if one does some of the extras like mapping and reading some biographies.

We are used to a large focus of our curriculum being on history with Sonlight.  

MOH 1 lessons are very short. 2 gets longer, and 3 is quite a bit longer. So you may find they fit your needs as you go.  Kingfisher would be a great add-on. We really enjoyed the Usborne Encyclopedia of the Ancient World with MOH 1 (the one written for Jr. High & high school--apparently there's one with a similar title for elem. school). It had beautiful pictures on 2-page spreads with lots of info about various cultures. After that, we've enjoyed adding the Famous Men books (my kids are not as into the encyclopedia approach--I tried adding the one that MFW sells, which is beautiful, but they were not feeling the love.)  For us, the SL lit. does work well, so we keep work that in. There's so much you CAN do with MOH, it's really fun. You can make it more hands-on, or add on other books, or choose to go on rabbit trails and learn about other topics. For example, when we studied the 10 plagues and ancient Egypt, we took spent more time learning about the plagues--and learned that each one relates to an Egyptian god. Projects like this were a lot of fun for us, and you can spend time doing that with MOH, or just add on other books--really whatever you want to do. I've done 3 blog posts on MOH and Sonlight if you're interested in seeing some of what we've done. We have a year off this year as we wait for MOH 4...and I really miss it!

Merry :-)

MOH 1 lessons are very short. 2 gets longer, and 3 is quite a bit longer. So you may find they fit your needs as you go.  Kingfisher would be a great add-on. We really enjoyed the Usborne Encyclopedia of the Ancient World with MOH 1 (the one written for Jr. High & high school--apparently there's one with a similar title for elem. school). It had beautiful pictures on 2-page spreads with lots of info about various cultures. After that, we've enjoyed adding the Famous Men books (my kids are not as into the encyclopedia approach--I tried adding the one that MFW sells, which is beautiful, but they were not feeling the love.)  For us, the SL lit. does work well, so we keep work that in. There's so much you CAN do with MOH, it's really fun. You can make it more hands-on, or add on other books, or choose to go on rabbit trails and learn about other topics. For example, when we studied the 10 plagues and ancient Egypt, we took spent more time learning about the plagues--and learned that each one relates to an Egyptian god. Projects like this were a lot of fun for us, and you can spend time doing that with MOH, or just add on other books--really whatever you want to do. I've done 3 blog posts on MOH and Sonlight if you're interested in seeing some of what we've done. We have a year off this year as we wait for MOH 4...and I really miss it!

That's why I had issues with listening to the MOH CD (which is comprised of the author's personal summaries of the story, which is what the main MOH text *is*).... we had already studied the time period using MFW, which schedules everything you mentioned on a weekly grid similar to the way SL does it (except from a more declarative Creation viewpoint), including multiple resources, so we had a much fuller picture of the story than *just* one author's conclusions.  But I'm not familiar with the "Famous Men" book that MFW sells, Merry...  ??  To which book are you referring?  I thought I had everything they sell.  Unless you're referring to Augustus Caesar's World which they use in RTR?  (Which is scheduled in conjunction with the Bible and other materials that give a fuller picture of Ancient Rome.)  They do have the "Famous Men of"  Greece, Rome, etc. books listed in their Book Basket, and Marie actually recommends these books as an optional purchase item.  But they don't sell those books there.... they don't want to become a "book company", nor do they have the facilities to do so.

Anyway, just wondering which "famous men" book you're referring to.....

After that, we've enjoyed adding the Famous Men books (my kids are not as into the encyclopedia approach--I tried adding the one that MFW sells, which is beautiful, but they were not feeling the love.) 

But I'm not familiar with the "Famous Men" book that MFW sells, Merry...  ??  To which book are you referring?  I thought I had everything they sell.  Unless you're referring to Augustus Caesar's World which they use in RTR?  (Which is scheduled in conjunction with the Bible and other materials that give a fuller picture of Ancient Rome.)  They do have the "Famous Men of"  Greece, Rome, etc. books listed in their Book Basket, and Marie actually recommends these books as an optional purchase item. 

Sorry for the confusion, I am talking about two different things in the sentence above--first, the "Famous Men" books (probably the same ones listed in the MFW book basket), and second, the encyclopedia which MFW offers (big, beautiful one, but I don't have the title in front of me right now...)  My dd really enjoyed the Famous Men books, but not the encyclopedia (but she rarely enjoyed that type of approach, so it's not a reflection on that particular encyclopedia, just her preferences). I mentioned the encyclopedia because it sounded like the OP wanted to add one in.

HTH! Merry :-)

Merry, I am VERY familiar with your blog!! :) I have been over your posts about MOH often!! Thanks for your input.

I went ahead and ordered MOH last night. I am about 99% sure we are going to use if for world history and so I want to spend some time looking at it and see how it could work. We are doing Core E, but may be done after Christmas, depends on how it goes. 

Nancy Ann, if I had it to do over, I would have gone right from Core E into MOH 1, and incorporated the Core F books along the way with G & H, instead of doing F separately. I really missed having a spine with F, though I know some people love that core. The books would have mixed in nicely with World History.

Nancy Ann, if I had it to do over, I would have gone right from Core E into MOH 1, and incorporated the Core F books along the way with G & H, instead of doing F separately. I really missed having a spine with F, though I know some people love that core. The books would have mixed in nicely with World History.

I am still not sure we are going to do Core F, but it's nice to know the books will fit, there are some books that look really good. 

I am wondering if I can just read Mystery of History volume 1 and 2 instead of STOW volume 1 and 2 for Core G? Basically, buy Core G and just not read STOW. I know it won't match up, but I think it will be good enough overall. Just wondering if it's possible to pencil in that schedule change in the Sonlight Core schedule?

I know it won't work with MOH volume 3 and 4 for Core H as they are more involved. But I don't mind taking two years to do Sonlight Core H with doing MOH 3 one year and MOH 4 the next. Maybe adding in some Core F at that point. Than do Sonlight Core 100 for 10th grade. 

I think that would work just fine. I did G & H over 4 years (or will have, when MOH 4 is out) for my youngest, and basically 1 & 2 are most of G. There's a little time left on G (also H starts before the end of G's time period--more crossover). I didn't have the SL IG, I just got the books and made up my own list in order of time period--it was pretty easy to do.

Merry  :-)

• 10 months later...

We just finished using MOH for 3 years and we loved it! I found it was just enough for a framework without being dry or boring. The supplemental activities is what sold me - my dc loved researching topics and said it made what they were learning more applicable. We read a lot of literature yet watched even more movies which we all enjoyed tremendously. I detested history after about 6th grade as it was SO boring; MOH is what I wish I had learned from growing up.

Would you mind sharing what literature books and movies you chose when you did MOH for three years? We are doing MOH 2 now and would like to have more lit and movies to go with it. Thanks!

I haven't felt Volume 1 or 2 have been very filling, thus far. I know that 3 is different & perhaps as we progress through Vol. 2 it will get thicker. We're still using it as our spine, but adding in literature to go with it & a few other non-fiction spines. :)

It is  our main spine at the moment, and I do feel at times the stories are watered down versions of what could be told. At the same time I get that the books will progress as you go along too so I'm okay with that. We've added in the same stories from CHOW as they match up because we love CHOW & it's fun to hear a slightly more expanded version. I also have a child at the right age for using that book. We also tie in a other books, websites, & movies to bring together a well rounded programme with it. 

I'm really glad to read that Merry feels the lessons progress as you move along. I suspected that would happen which is why I'm happy to keep going with it. Oh sweet Core F. :lol: I still think it'd be better suited to have slipped in After Core H but before Core 100. They'd need to swap LA arounds to adjust for the changes, but I think it's a better age range for it. I may be odd man out on that though! :lol:

We've used it as our spine, and are finishing up this year with MOH IV.  It does increase in content as you go along.  It does have a protestant slant, but I challenge you to find a history book without some sort of slant.  

I have supplemented with additional reading over the years, and we do a lot of the things in the activity book.  Additional reading has included source documents, biographies, reference books, and historical fiction.  It has worked well for us, and the girls have retained a pretty good overview of history from using it.  What I have liked is the fact that their eyes don't glaze over while reading it.  We have found some inaccuracies, but I've used them as an opportunity to learn how to research and interpret fact from opinion.