Menu

Code box near front door

Excelsior! Academy

Have you unscrewed it? Does it have wires in the back?

It doesn't look like it was made in the 70s to me, which makes me wonder if is just an older piece installed for decorative/visual interest purposes.

The styling is wrong for the 70s, IMO. If it was a code box from the 70s, then I would expect the numbers to be laid out like the numbers on a phone.

Have you unscrewed it? Does it have wires in the back?

It doesn't look like it was made in the 70s to me, which makes me wonder if is just an older piece installed for decorative/visual interest purposes.

The styling is wrong for the 70s, IMO. If it was a code box from the 70s, then I would expect the numbers to be laid out like the numbers on a phone.

That's what I was thinking too.

From the picture, it's hard to tell if it has wires in the back or is actually hooked up ton *anything*.  Could it be an odd design for a mezuzah?

It could possibly be a replacement door bell that someone used. Maybe the numbers Could have a purpose in another application, but just not hooked up at your house.

We rented a vacation house that had that but it had another layer on top that the number pad stuck through. If you punched in the right code it would release and a house key was stuck inside the outer layer/cover.

Hmm...both of those ideas seem feasible. I wonder if it is a key hider.

I'm confused -- why do you want to replace it if you don't know what it's for?

Because I am hoping it is a keyless entry box, and I am really curious.  It bugs me to not know what it is.  Also, it is clearly broken.  If I am going to have some secret code thingy, it ought'd at least work.  :P

So I unscrewed it and now I am even more confused.  It had 12 multi-color wires attached.  I can't remember all of the colors, but I know there were more than one black, blue, red &/or orange and purple.  I have never seen a purple wire before.  So keyless entry?  It looks like the decorative bead at the top might light up.

So I unscrewed it and now I am even more confused.  It had 12 multi-color wires attached.  I can't remember all of the colors, but I know there were more than one black, blue, red &/or orange and purple.  I have never seen a purple wire before.  So keyless entry?  It looks like the decorative bead at the top might light up.

I hope you took a picture or drew a diagram of which wire was attached to what before taking it apart...

Do be careful if you are not used to working with electrical stuff.