Menu

Time4learning?

I'm watching a young girl (age 9) who is using time4learning. First day with me is today.

Today, as I sat with her, I noticed that it seems very, very easy to "float" through the curricula - if a question isn't true, they are given another opportunity, obviously knowing to mark it false; in some of the "checks", the answer was literally printed to the right of the "check" work they were doing.

When I asked her after, to define something to me that she had just "learned", she was unable to do so.

There appears to be no direction in the language arts section. By that, I mean, she can choose to do reading comprehension over and over again, with nothing prompting her to do, say, grammar instead?

The math looks pretty okay, but it was very short (the lesson and questions only took her about 5-10 minutes to complete).

I'm not really feeling that this is a complete curriculum - am I wrong? Is this meant to be a stand alone?

ETA: this is her first day with me, not with time4learning - she's been using this for a while now.

Well, her mom is going through a difficult time and has to work full time. I'm going to try to find a way to speak to her about it - I have curricula here, for her daughter's age (although I'm not sure of ability level, but for what she's paying for t4l, her mom could buy some decent curricula for me to implement).

I'm just not familiar with it. She had to be coaxed into writing and doesn't appear to form letters correctly (which is probably why she dislikes writing - it appears to be difficult the way she's forming letters).

My twins used it for many years. They loved it, and they learned a good deal from it. Is it a complete curriculum? No, but I think it is a good supplement, and it is a wonderful tool to use if a parent is going through a hard time. 

As far as the work, maybe you could guide her? My twins went through the lessons chronologically. When you finish one lesson, you move on to the next. Also there are worksheets to print out with some of the lessons that would allow her to work on her writing skills. 

By the way many parents use this as a stand alone curriculum. If you want to learn more about it and how others implement it you could visit their forums. 

As far as the work, maybe you could guide her? My twins went through the lessons chronologically. When you finish one lesson, you move on to the next. Also there are worksheets to print out with some of the lessons that would allow her to work on her writing skills.

That's kind of the problem. It has allowed her to progress, without any real mastery - but because she can get the answers right (even though the answers are often right there for her to see). I'm not sure she should be where she's AT in most subjects (other than math - she does seem to be doing very well with that).

She was working on adjectives today. She didn't know what a noun is. KWIM? She was working on fiction (well into it), but didn't know what fiction meant. She's floating through, able to click on the word to define it, without ever needing to memorize it.

I would need to ask her mom if I could take her off the program for a few weeks, just to get her caught up to where the program HAS her, before I could guide her on it. KWIM?

We've been using it for the past few weeks since I went back to work.  The kids do it in order - the program shows with an arrow what they should be doing next and doesn't move on until they complete something.  I can see what scores they get on anything with a score, how long they spend on each section, and whether they "completed" it or "mastered" it.    We don't use the worksheets because we are doing separate handwriting, spelling, writing, science, and history plus supplementing with extra math for my son.

We use it because my mother (who watches the kids while I work) doesn't feel able to do parent-intensive school with them.  I definitely wouldn't call T4L rigorous, and in order for it to be adequate I don't think it can be completely hands-off for the parent, but it seems to be covering the basics fairly well.  I know my daughter has finally taken a big jump with reading from using it.

We tried it when the kids were younger. They got bored with it quickly. I can't imagine it being a stand-alone curriculum, but I guess it's better than nothing. I wonder if the mom will have an interest in you doing other things with the little girl. The little girl might resist anything else if she's used to just playing games for school.

I have one currently crying over looking up his definitions for his lesson today (he cries over everything though).  He could definitely float through the lessons if I didn't know what he was supposed to be doing.  He takes the time and does what he is supposed to be doing.  There is a scheduler that can be printed and then you work the lessons they have listed for each subject in order.  Although this is not his only math curriculum, it is the only thing we are using for the other subjects.

We tried it when the kids were younger. They got bored with it quickly. I can't imagine it being a stand-alone curriculum, but I guess it's better than nothing. I wonder if the mom will have an interest in you doing other things with the little girl. The little girl might resist anything else if she's used to just playing games for school.

I talked to mom last night. She's completely fine with me using something else for language arts and history. The math seems okay - but I've only seen a bit of it. We'll see.

Today I did FLL with her and had her do some copywork (her handwriting and writing in general seems very, almost, *painful*). I'm not sure what I'm going to use for history with her. Maybe SOTW.

I need to keep in mind that she's Jewish and would like to incorporate some of that. Her mom is perfectly okay with me incorporating some of the Catholic faith, by default, as I'm teaching my pre-ker (actually her mom said that for most Jewish families, if there isn't a Jewish day school around, they often send their children to Catholic school, and that our girl has been to Catholic school in the past), but I know the girl is highly interested in her Jewish faith as well.

I'm having her move along with the T4L history until I make that decision.

She actually much more enjoys the one-on-one.

The 3rd grade and up history and science at T4L is basically an online text. The kids are supposed to be keeping a history notebook. There are suggestions for extra books and things inside the lessons. The science has experiments. I believe the necessary items are listed on the parent page. If done well it is no less parent intensive than using a text.

The LA absolutely should not be used in a point and click move to the next lesson fashion. There are some really good posts on the T4L forums giving some suggestions on ordering the LA lessons. I mean all of the spelling lessons are grouped together. Those lessons should be done over the course of the year in addition to whatever LA lesson is competed that day. Also, a nice lady over there has put the spelling lists on Spelling City, so you can practice those over there. All of the book studies are lumped together. The books will need to be purchased and read outside of T4L and you probably want to stagger those throughout the year like LLATL.

In many grade levels T4L updated their math, but left the entire old product there for use as review or supplemental work as needed. So, when it says there are a ton of math lessons you don't need to complete them all. Do the main lessons and if your child needs more go searching in the old lessons.

We used T4L for a couple of years along with other things and for the price I thought it was a nice computer based product that included some grading. It is not something I would turn my child loose on and expect it to be self teaching. Except that is did grade some things for me, I didn't find that it required any less effort on my part than other offline products.

HTH-

Mandy

The 3rd grade and up history and science at T4L is basically an online text. The kids are supposed to be keeping a history notebook. There are suggestions for extra books and things inside the lessons. The science has experiments. I believe the necessary items are listed on the parent page. If done well it is no less parent intensive than using a text.

The LA absolutely should not be used in a point and click move to the next lesson fashion. There are some really good posts on the T4L forums giving some suggestions on ordering the LA lessons. I mean all of the spelling lessons are grouped together. Those lessons should be done over the course of the year in addition to whatever LA lesson is competed that day. Also, a nice lady over there has put the spelling lists on Spelling City, so you can practice those over there. All of the book studies are lumped together. The books will need to be purchased and read outside of T4L and you probably want to stagger those throughout the year like LLATL.

In many grade levels T4L updated their math, but left the entire old product there for use as review or supplemental work as needed. So, when it says there are a ton of math lessons you don't need to complete them all. Do the main lessons and if your child needs more go searching in the old lessons.

We used T4L for a couple of years along with other things and for the price I thought it was a nice computer based product that included some grading. It is not something I would turn my child loose on and expect it to be self teaching. Except that is did grade some things for me, I didn't find that it required any less effort on my part than other offline products.

HTH-

Mandy

Can you backtrack at all? I mean, if she's been using it for months, just clicking and not really doing anything, thus allowing the program to progress with her, is it possible to "back the program up" to the beginning?

I'm going to ask mom for the parent log in if she really wants to keep her with this program, so that I can see the features for myself. Goodness knows I'm not impressed thus far - especially considering every comprehension check I've seen has the answers right next to it... I think I might be missing something.

We use it here, because I have Lupus, and have times when I can't do much.  I heavily supplement.  We love it, and it's been a life saver for me.  Remember, there are worksheets to print out in math, so that makes it better, I think.  With the language arts, I would definitely add in more writing, grammar, and literature.

I tried it.  I thought it was way too fluffy.  I wanted it as something to fill in time when I need to work one on one with each kid.  I didn't even think it was good enough for that.  My kids didn't enjoy it either.

This exactly. I cancelled it like 2 days too late to get my refund.   :glare:

Mandy - would you be able to link to some of these threads?  I tried searching the forums and didn't find anything but I'm interested in seeing more about this.   We do separate/additional spelling, grammar, literature, writing, and vocabulary so I don't know if it would make a big difference for us, but I'd like to check it out.

Given our current circumstances, I don't have too many options so I want to make sure we are using the program in the way that will be the most thorough.

Thank you.

I used it very briefly, as a supplement, because it was way too easy and fluffy.  No meat or depth.  Thankfully, I only did the trial and didn't pay anything for it.

Blessedly, Mom seems to be perfectly fine with me using other things. Right now I'm only using something else for language arts; next I think we'll move into something else for history (the child hates the history program on T4L), then slowly move away from their science.

Is the math as bad as the rest? I have to say, the girl appears to be great with math. She tested at a very high aptitude for math when her mother took her for an assessment, so I'm half wondering if T4L, although she's doing well with the math, is too easy for her - she does it all in about 15-20 minutes and (if you don't watch her) she'll just keep doing math all day.