Menu

For music families--should you be practicing right now?

garddwr

Found it!  See post #8 in this thread.

This is a quote from the larger post and some of what I printed...

IMPORTANT:

Do not confuse playing an instrument and practicing an instrument. When I go play a gig with a quartet, I am playing. I enjoy it. People (hopefully) enjoy listening. I'm not playing anything that I can't easily play and we are just moving from song to song. It is fun.

When I practice I am deliberately choosing things I cannot play. I have to slow it down, take it in tiny pieces, use a metronome, use a tuner, wear out my arm, strain my ears and frustrate myself. Then I improve. Then I do it again...and again....and again....and my playing still stinks. Then over the course of a lot of time and effort I improve. And as I improve I pick more junk I cannot do and I learn that. And I am in a constant state of stinkiness as the music gets harder and harder. And I am always self-critical........so I can get better. But, I am never good enough.

And that my friends, is music. You play and enjoy yourself. You practice and want to tear out your eyelashes. Or eardrums-but they are harder to get to-ha!