Menu

How to turn scrapbooking into school?

So, one thing I use to love before homeschooling was scrapbooking. Not the digital kind (I don't know how to do that, but the paper, cutting kind of scrapbooking).

I have been thinking about how I can turn scrapbooking into a type of school time. Of course, I will have to "lighten up" my expectations of how a scrapbook looks now. Now that mine were out of scrapbooking magazine, but I tried. But I was thinking that making more scrapbook pages with my kids would bring it's own sentimental value.

Hmmm...fine motor skills with the cutting. Have them do writing for the captions.

I am starting to think this might be fun and good for us all. I don't have to feel like I am "giving it up" (honestly I have no time to find time for it). But, it will bring my kids and I even closer. Plus, help with some schools too.

Any thoughts?

Keep a history scrapbook or a science scrapbook or both.  You could include narrations, have the kids label things - diagrams, maps, fill in charts...  For science, you could do simple experiments, take photos, then scrapbook the photos with captions, explanations of the experiment, illustrations, etc.  Or you could just have them make scrapbook pages about animals or elements or anything along those lines.

I tried to make our poetry board a little scrapbook-y. I wanted it to look a little more mature with that Anthropologie/Paper Source kind of look iykwim.

I just put it up with August stuff and it looks ok. Definitely heading in the right direction.

I like the history and science ideas. I'm going to think about doing that.

One thing we did last year, that was a hit, was make an herbarium book. We pressed flowers and labeled them and watched some youtube clips on the subject. We used nice Waldorf notebooks with layers of vellum (so cool), but I think a scrapbook format could be nice too.  

I keep drooling over Project Life books, and think once my kids are older it would be fun to use that concept to do notebooking and scrapbook what we're learning.

Inspired by Project Life, I bought these for the kids last year. They each picked a 3 ring photo album to serve as their history notebooks. They are just the coolest ever kind of personalized timeline books. The kids make cards for whatever strikes their fancy: people, battles/wars, music, art, lit/poetry, fashion, scientific discoveries, etc. They sometimes do their copywork on cards to serve as captions, and sometimes narrations are included as longer text to support the images they include (whether hand drawn or printed & pasted). It works well for each of my kids because while there are a few things for each topic/era that I make sure they include, the majority of content is determined by their own interests. Their books reflect their personalities and self-chosen bunny trails very nicely.

I keep drooling over Project Life books, and think once my kids are older it would be fun to use that concept to do notebooking and scrapbook what we're learning.

I had grand aspirations last year to do a scrapbook for Eastern Hemisphere using the A page protectors.  They boys started it, and I'll probably still have them continue, especially since we've traveled to the countries we initially studied.  Been contemplating how to do it for US history.

There are also the smaller Snap albums. I could see these being fun with younger kids and vocabulary.  Or a foreign language.

I've been somewhat planning a trip we're taking across the province ... in 2018. (Yeah, I'm kind of excited.)

Anyway, we'll get to see tons of things we won't get to see otherwise. I was going to give each of my kids a Smash Book and a camera so they could remember it however they wanted. Mind you, Smash books are supposed to be somewhat messy because they're easy, spur-of-the-moment type scrapbooks. I have one and enjoy it and figured it was an easy introduction for the kids.

I am not sure what the difference is between scrapbooking and notebooking .

Keep a history scrapbook or a science scrapbook or both.  You could include narrations, have the kids label things - diagrams, maps, fill in charts...  For science, you could do simple experiments, take photos, then scrapbook the photos with captions, explanations of the experiment, illustrations, etc.  Or you could just have them make scrapbook pages about animals or elements or anything along those lines.

This is what we do but I call it notebooking, I take pictures of all projects and activities then let them narrate what is happening to caption the picture. I also take a picture of a book or dd holding a book she just read and then write a short book review/report under it.

What if they notebook but have an organizer bin full of scrapbooking supplies: fancy paper, stickers, colored brads, ribbons, decorative scissors, stencils, punches) to use to decorate their pages.