Menu

Can your rice cooker prepare SMALL amounts of rice?

Pegasus

My family enjoys rice but we eat small portions.  1.5 cups cooked rice is plenty for the 4 of us and I'll often prepare 3/4th cup rice when only 2 members want rice. 

The rice cookers that I've looked at say that they can cook 2 cups to (capacity varies from 6 cups and up).  Can they really not cook smaller portions?  It would be so nice to toss the rice and water into the cooker and not worry about it until the rest of dinner is ready.  I have to watch the "sticky rice" variety like a hawk in the pot to be sure it doesn't boil over or burn on the bottom.  I admit to relying on Minute Rice, especially when I'm fixing a 3/4th cup cooked portion, but it isn't our favorite.

Mine starts at 1 cup of rice BUT that's one cup uncooked rice and the cup is their measuring cup, not a US cup cup. It's actually a 6 oz 3/4 cup, so it makes just over 1.5 US cups. I lost the cup and use 3 1/4 cup scoops of rice. It's a Sanyo fuzzy logic cooker.

Extra rice freezes nicely. You could make a double batch and freeze half if the cooker you have works well with larger quantities. Edited: maybe you don't have one yet? I can't read today.

I do not yet own a rice cooker. I am trying to determine if it will work for us before I spend the money.

I had not thought about making extra and freezing some. That could work well, especially if I froze it in single servings and then just pulled out what we needed that night.  I am definitely going to try this!  We've tried keeping it for a day or two in the fridge but it is never as good as the first night.

I also appreciate the information that rice "cups" are not necessarily the 8-oz. U.S. measuring cup size.  That makes a difference!

We never use measuring cups but I’d guess that we often make a cup or maybe less. Dh is Chinese-American. When we were engaged he visited my apartment, saw a box of Uncle Ben’s in the cupboard and came out of the kitchen holding it with a very serious expression on his face. He said “We have to talk.†I laughed. He wasn’t kidding. :) Rice is serious business. I’m a total convert though now to the rice cooker, it’s so easy. We don’t freeze it if we have extra but we will use the leftovers for stir frys, soups, burritos/enchiladas, etc. 

Mine starts at 1 cup of rice BUT that's one cup uncooked rice and the cup is their measuring cup, not a US cup cup. It's actually a 6 oz 3/4 cup, so it makes just over 1.5 US cups. I lost the cup and use 3 1/4 cup scoops of rice. It's a Sanyo fuzzy logic cooker.

Extra rice freezes nicely. You could make a double batch and freeze half if the cooker you have works well with larger quantities. Edited: maybe you don't have one yet? I can't read today.

Mine is like this as well, but I have the Rival one (like this). I think I got it at Target.

Before I had a rice cooker, I used a steamer for years. It does rice as well as vegetables and other things. It worked well and I just replaced it when my kids became teens and the most the steamer could make was just too little for us anymore. So, perhaps a small steamer would suit you best?

I cook large batches stovetop and freeze the extra in single serving size in ziplocs, putting the ziplocs in an airtight container. I thaw/heat in the microwave. If I'm adding it to a soup or stir fry, I just open the ziploc a bit, heat for a minute, break it up a bit, then heat for another minute. If I'm eating it as a side dish (more on its own than mixed in) then I add about a teaspoon of water to the ziploc bag.

I have a 10 cup Zo, and it will cook batches as small as two rice cooker cups (1-1/2 cups dry rice). Smaller Zos will cook smaller batches.

If you eat brown rice and want small batches, I'd use this foolproof method:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Perfect-Brown-Rice

This technique has the added benefit of removing most of the arsenic from the rice.