Menu

What is your favorite spelling program for Middle school?

Kelley

I am finding that Spelling Workout at this level focuses on Vocabulary rather spelling.

I already use a vocabulary program and am find Spelling Workout to be a burden at this level.

My daughter went from enjoying spelling to disliking it very much...:(

Thanks!

Kelley

- Teaches vowel patterns and syllabication patterns that carry over into longer words

- Is done mostly independently by the student

- Has great word lists that expose the student to good vocabulary without testing those words

- Can be done as a stand-alone spelling program or as a supplement

- Inexpensive

- For grades 4-5 and up.

See sample pages at: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find/703450263?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=megawords&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

BEST of luck in finding what works best for your family! Warmly, Lori D.

but we are using Megawords as well :)

I have never used another spelling program, so I can't compare. In testing, ds is right at grade level using Megawords. We both like the variety of activities. I've looked at a few other programs, and some look very tedious. Megawords is not tedious. Easy on the teacher. Easy on the student.

Good luck!

I didn't do a product comparison before getting this. We were using Spelling Workout as well and I needed something my ds could do independently. I've been very pleased with Apples... as it has been a good review of spelling rules, gives ample practice, and is done completely independently. Some of the review is overkill for my ds, so we just skip pages in the lesson he's mastered.:rolleyes:

Phonics Zoo by IEW!

This is our first year using it and it has really worked for us. Not as much busywork and more audio.

It is pretty expensive (but non consumable) but they give a money back guarantee! Not too shabby:)

Angie

who has used many, many spelling programs:)

dd12 started out this year (7th) doing Vocabulary from Classical Roots instead of spelling. Now that she has finished VFCR (she loved it and worked through the book ahead of schedule!) we have gone back to Spelling Power. She likes that the only words she has to work on are the ones she doesn't know.

DD9, on the other hand, didn't like Spelling Power, at least that's how she was last year in 2nd gr. This year we are using Spelling Workout, but when she finishes the book in a couple of months I'll switch her to Spelling Power for the rest of the year and see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

First, they have a pre-test and a post-test, which will help you determine if everything in the list needs to be covered. My ds frequently does very well on the reading portion, so we can skip a number of the pages that are geared towards reading.

Second, some of the pages have words that the teacher needs to dictate to the child. The words are in the teacher's book.

Third, all the answers are in the teacher's book. It would take more time and effort to check all answers without it.

Sue