Menu

The results of my $200 challenge

Does anyone remember my "$200 and Keeping it Simple" thread from last spring?  Well, I have the results...

All told I spent $65 out of pocket.  I'm using some stuff I already own, but if I'd had to buy everything this summer it would have been around $90.  Everything was purchased used.  This is for 10 yo DD working at a 4th grade level. For her 8 yo sister we're using the library and delight-driven education, sharing the math book and using tools I already own.

I've gone from a charter school budget of $1600/yr per kid to streamlining and bargain hunting.  Yet, I feel happier about this year's choices than I ever have in the past, because these tools don't come with strings attached, weren't purchased with any thought of aligning (or catching up) to the state standards of the moment, and were purchased by ME with MY money.

I think it's going to be a GREAT year.  I'm excited :)

Oh, and in case you're curious, here's the list:

Learn Math Fast book 1  $30

McGraw Hill Interactive Science $4

Rod and Staff 3 student book for grammar and writing $10 (bought the TM for $1 a couple years ago.)

Natural Speller, making personal spelling dictionary $0 (already own)

MPC Phonics D $12  

Cursive using my brain and a pencil $0

Story of the World 2 plus AG  $6

Home Art Studio  $0 (already own, otherwise around $10, I think)

Resource books:  WRTR, a couple of books from the NTK series, etc. purchased from a used sale for less than $5 total.

BE ENCOURAGED!!  You do NOT need a lot of money to homeschool your children!  This is my fifth year homeschooling and the year when we have the tiniest budget ever.  Yet I truly believe that by using my brain, a few carefully chosen tools and our public library we're going to have the best year ever! :)

Thank you :)

Here's the deal, though.  I'm not saying I'm never buying anything else this year and that everyone should spend as little as possible.  This isn't a contest.  I am just excited that not only can it be done, but it can be done well, with good resources.  I did have to make choices and pass on some options, but in the end I'm pretty happy with what I came up with :)

Thank you :)

Here's the deal, though. I'm not saying I'm never buying anything else this year and that everyone should spend as little as possible. This isn't a contest. I am just excited that not only can it be done, but it can be done well, with good resources. I did have to make choices and pass on some options, but in the end I'm pretty happy with what I came up with :)

Well, your challenge really inspired me to look at and use the things on my shelf.

Wow, great job!  That's got me to thinking... I wonder what I spent on stuff for this year (I'm a pick it up as you go sort of person and I purchase with leftover grocery funds. :thumbup1:

For DD10 5th/6th grade

WWE4-$16

Houghton Mifflin Math-$10

Science (online)-free

Grammar (online)-free

French (online)-free

Latin/Greek root word study (library book)-free as long as I don't incur overdue fines

SWO E (with TG also)-$6

SOTW 3 (library book)-free

History of the US vol 2-5 - $15

LLATL and the readers-$20

Faith and Life 5-$4

Total $71

DS5 k/1st grade

Saxon Math 1 TG and Workbook-$10

The Reading Lesson-$12

BFSU-$5

Faith and Life 1-$6

Bible (gift from his prek teachers)-free

A Child's Guide to Geography-$17

Base 10 Blocks-$15

Cuisinaire Rods (returned a gift that someone gave me for my b-day and the rods were slightly more expensive)-$3

Total-$58

And then we spent $406 to send DD12 back to Catholic school (so I needed to be cheap somewhere).

Also, we have an awesome library that I am blessed enough to work at, so we HEAVILY supplement with library books, DVDs, audiobooks and programs.

Does Natural Speller include grammar? I have the other language arts books and can't figure out if the author skips grammar or if it's in the spelling book.

Not much. BUT, for making our own spelling, I loved Natural Speller for the word family lists, combined with The ABCs and All Their Tricks. We used those 2 books for years to make our own spelling. Very practical -- like a bit of an extension of the Dr. Fry's 1000 Words.

A little off-topic, Hunter but -- one that might inspire you, as I know you make your own worksheets, is Mary Pecci's Word Skillsfor grades 2-5. See sample pages here. (Also available at Amazon and on Ebay.) Topics covered included:

- plurals

- roots & endings

- syllables

- compound words

- possessives

- contractions

- prefixes

- suffixes

- alphabetizing

- dictionary skills

That's awesome! This thread got me wondering what I spent this year...

DS13:

Holt Physical Science: $20

The Mommy Writer's History Plans: my brain + books we own/can get at the library = $0

Math-U-See Zeta: $20

Total Language Plus (3 books new at the local convention, yikes!): $70

Adventures in Art: $0

Shakespeare Project Pack and Narnia packs from Hands of a Child for co-op: $20

Miscellaneous books from book sales: $10

Total: $140

DS10:

Apologia Land Animals with Journal for co-op: $40

TMW's History Plans: $0

Total Language Plus with brother: $0

Math-U-See Epsilon: $20

Drawing through History: $10

Total: $80

DD7:

Christian Kids Explore Earth and Space: $0

Scholastic Spelling grade 2: $1

HSS lit guides: $0

Math-U-See Beta: $0

Draw. Write. Now. books 2-3: $16

Total: $27

Co-op fees: $175

Total for the school year for all: $422

Wow.   :glare:  That's a bigger number than I thought it was going to be! There are definitely places I could have cut costs! Next year will be better!!

That's awesome! This thread got me wondering what I spent this year...

DS13:

Holt Physical Science: $20

The Mommy Writer's History Plans: my brain + books we own/can get at the library = $0

Math-U-See Zeta: $20

Total Language Plus (3 books new at the local convention, yikes!): $70

Shakespeare Project Pack and Narnia packs from Hands of a Child for co-op: $20

Total: $140

DS10:

Apologia Land Animals with Journal for co-op: $40

Total Language Plus with brother: $0

Math-U-See Epsilon: $20

Drawing through History: $10

Total: $80

DD7:

Christian Kids Explore Earth and Space: $0

Scholastic Spelling grade 2: $1

HSS lit guides: $0

Math-U-See Beta: $0

Draw. Write. Now. books 2-3: $16

Total: $27

Co-op fees: $175

Total for the school year for all: $422

Wow. :glare: That's a bigger number than I thought it was going to be! There are definitely places I could have cut costs! Next year will be better!!

I think you did fantastic!!!