Menu

Romeo and Juliet - DVD - appropriate for 14 yr old?

PuddleJumper1

Dd is studying Romeo and Juliet in English. She would like to watch a filmed version but I've no idea on which one. My oldest watched a version in high school (ps) that ended up having nearly full nudity before his teacher realized. I'd like to avoid that :huh:

Can you recommend a film version of R & J for a 14 year old? She'd like to stick as close to the original work as possible.

Thanks!

We watched one in high school that didn't have any nudity, but I sure don't remember which version it was. :) That was ages ago. I saw the Claire Danes/Leonardo DiCaprio version in the theatre many moons ago and enjoyed it. Going in, I thought it was going to be modern English, but it is not.

I watched the 1968 version with my kids when they were 10 and 12. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063518/?ref_=sr_2  There is a definitive butt shot of romeo but I told my kids about it in advance and it was no big deal.  Truthfully, we spent more time speculating on a relationship between Leonard Whiting and Zak Effron becaust they look alike then on the fact that we saw his buttocks.

I watched the 1968 version with my kids when they were 10 and 12. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063518/?ref_=sr_2 There is a definitive butt shot of romeo but I told my kids about it in advance and it was no big deal. Truthfully, we spent more time speculating on a relationship between Leonard Whiting and Zak Effron becaust they look alike then on the fact that we saw his buttocks.

This is the version the Sisters took us to see when I attended all-girls Catholic High School. The scene mentioned showed very brief nudity (they are married and Romeo is preparing to leave). The scene captured the passion and anguish of their parting. Perhaps you could preview it - I think it was an excellent film version.

I love the 1968 Zeffirelli version. It's beautifully done and the nudity...well it shows his butt for just a second. Honestly, you see far worse on network tv these days. Even now, when I think of Juliet I see Olivia Hussey's face. 

I love the 1968 Zeffirelli version. It's beautifully done and the nudity...well it shows his butt for just a second. Honestly, you see far worse on network tv these days. Even now, when I think of Juliet I see Olivia Hussey's face.

You also see Juliet's breasts, just for a second. But, this is the version I let my kids watch at around 13 and up.

I watched the 1968 version with my kids when they were 10 and 12. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063518/?ref_=sr_2  There is a definitive butt shot of romeo but I told my kids about it in advance and it was no big deal.  Truthfully, we spent more time speculating on a relationship between Leonard Whiting and Zak Effron becaust they look alike then on the fact that we saw his buttocks.

This is my favorite movie version of Romeo and Juliet.  I probably saw it when I was around 13/14.  I would let my 13 yr. old twins watch it.  It's very well done.

I have no opinion on which R&J movie to watch, but I think everyone should definitely see this clip from SCTV.  It perfectly sums up everything I feel about Romeo & Juliet.  And I wish someone would have said this to Juliet...in Elizabethan English, of course. ;)  Heads up...one or two naughty-ish words in this clip...and humor, of course.

"What, what, what are you doing" will be the quote of the week around here. DD and I laughed so hard!! All of the skits were hilarious.

I have the same opinion of Romeo and Juliet.

I think the 1968 version is going to be the closest to the original play, but I personally think the 1996 DiCaprio/Danes version is more entertaining. Looks like there is a new version coming out this year.