Menu

A strange mole question

About a month ago I noticed a strange mole on my back that was not there before. It was bumpy (like a wart or a scab) and had a black center. I scraped it a bit and the top came off kinda of like a scab and it bled a little, but not much. Since then it has "grown" back but is lighter in color, but still brown, and still has a scabby, raised top.

Anyone know if this is a very strange wart or a very strange mole? Should I be concerned or is this just some wierd growth caused from getting older? (I'm 46)

thanks,

Kirsten

I've got a mole that I asked the doctor about once. He said as long as it is regular in shape it is okay. When they start looking like blobs instead of circles then it should be checked immediately.

If you are concerned make an appointment to have it looked at. Better safe than not on this type thing.

I would get that checked out. My bf is a nurse for a dermatologist and ANY change in a mole is particularly concerning...especially in a place where you have tanned over the years (like your back). The flaking and such is concerning to her (I read your post to her over the phone). I would get in with a dermatologist asap. If it turns out to be nothing, you are out a co-pay. If it were something, then better now than later. KWIM? Good luck!

I agree to get it checked out. The fact that it's new, and the fact that it is flaking, and the fact that it is different colors (black only in the center), and the fact that it's on your back, are all causes of concern.

My dh has had several spots removed from his face, and nothing has been malignant. I'm so glad that he's keeping on top of it. Recovery from the removal is easy, and I don't see any scars.

Yes, have it checked. Since it is new, even if it is something that is potentially serious, it will probably be just fine. My understanding is that skin issues caught early are very, very easily taken care of and present no problems.

I had potential skin cancer taken off my face a few months ago. It was so quick and easy. It took just minutes for them to do.

I HATE going to the doctor but you have all convinced me it would be better to have it looked at. I'm leaving for Kentucky next week so won't be able to make an appointment until I get back, but I will post a followup after I see the doctor.

Thanks again for all who took the time to respond!

Peace,

Kirsten

I don't think that moles have black centers. This I do know, if it is a mole you are to watch it for changes and if it does change you should have it looked at. But a black center sounds like a seed in a wart to me. They have this new "wart freeze off" stuff that is suppose to get rid of warts in record time. Like a week or less. You may want to ask your doctor for sure though. You don't want to "freeze" off a mole. :)