Menu

Book recs for an accelerated but young 12 year old

So dd12 is a voracious reader....all genres but SciFi.  Long ago, I made a habit of having a running book list for her with 3-4 books ready to go at any given time.  But I'm running out of ideas.  Her reading level far exceeds her maturity level for the content in that level.  I know many here have had the same issue so I was wondering if you could pass along recs for past threads, book titles, series, book lists, adult books, etc.  that may give us some new options.

She's read all of the well known classics that are age appropriate....maybe there are some other, more obscure titles?  She's on the sensitive side so no blood, horror or evil.  We're also trying to stay away from love scenes for now.....we're still in the "ewwwww!" stage...lol.

She's reading Peter Pan for the third time right now so I have to get some ideas and quick!!

At that age, Hobbes worked his way through the books published in the Puffin Classics and Oxford Children's World Classics imprints.

L

I just bookmarked both lists.  She's read most of those, but I found several new titles.  Thanks.

Not classics, but how about books by Wendy Mass & Rebecca Stead? My dd10 has loved them all, and they are perfect for the 10-12 age group.  And I know you said not sci fi, but has she read A Wrinkle in Time and others by Madeline L'Engle?

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate & Caddie Woodlawn were others my dd has enjoyed recently.

Those are not advanced reading level, though.  I have this trouble with my dd, too, it seems that a lot of books that are topically appropriate are at a 4th-6th grade reading level, and I'd really like to challenge her reading level more, she can blaze through all these in an hour or two.

So, here's what I'm thinking (and what I enjoyed as a voracious/advanced reader at 12):

More in the classic (or at least older-style writing, that is good prep for the classics): Arthur Conan Doyle/Sherlock Homes books; Dorothy Sayers/Lord Peter Wimsey books; Chesterton/Father Brown mysteries, Agatha Christie, Georgette Heyer, Jean Plaidy, Victoria Holt/Phyllis Whitney, Daphne DuMaurier.  These are mysteries and (clean) regency romances, some set in their contemporary (early 20th century) period, others set in historical periods.  They are enjoyable and engrossing for this age group, and have much more interesting and complex vocab and sentence structure than most contemporary YA lit seems to.  And, they are clean - maybe a kiss once they get engaged, but nothing more, and even the murder mysteries aren't gory or disturbing.

Not classics, but how about books by Wendy Mass & Rebecca Stead? My dd10 has loved them all, and they are perfect for the 10-12 age group. And I know you said not sci fi, but has she read A Wrinkle in Time and others by Madeline L'Engle?

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate & Caddie Woodlawn were others my dd has enjoyed recently.

Those are not advanced reading level, though. I have this trouble with my dd, too, it seems that a lot of books that are topically appropriate are at a 4th-6th grade reading level, and I'd really like to challenge her reading level more, she can blaze through all these in an hour or two.

So, here's what I'm thinking (and what I enjoyed as a voracious/advanced reader at 12):

More in the classic (or at least older-style writing, that is good prep for the classics): Arthur Conan Doyle/Sherlock Homes books; Dorothy Sayers/Lord Peter Wimsey books; Chesterton/Father Brown mysteries, Agatha Christie, Georgette Heyer, Jean Plaidy, Victoria Holt/Phyllis Whitney, Daphne DuMaurier. These are mysteries and (clean) regency romances, some set in their contemporary (early 20th century) period, others set in historical periods. They are enjoyable and engrossing for this age group, and have much more interesting and complex vocab and sentence structure than most contemporary YA lit seems to. And, they are clean - maybe a kiss once they get engaged, but nothing more, and even the murder mysteries aren't gory or disturbing.

LOVE Wendy!!!! My dd actually emails her....lol! Lots of good recs here.... Making lists. Keep em' coming!!!

I don't know why I didn't think of this before - We're reading Joan Aiken's books, we did The Wolves of Willoughby Chase and we're almost done with Black Hearts in Battersea.  We'll read more from this series for sure.  We're doing it as a read aloud and both girls love these stories, but it would be a perfect independent read for a 12 yo.  It's definitely more advanced in reading level, vocabulary wise, etc.

I just found a book that DD seems to be quite enjoying. It's a fantasy, The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde, and surprisingly well-written (comment comes from having to go through a bunch of YA novels recently) and witty. The main character is about 15-years old and is becoming one of my favorite young heroines for the younger teen crowd.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Dragonslayer-Chronicles-Kazam-Book/dp/0544104714/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375581617&sr=1-1&keywords=The+last+dragonslayer

But, that's just one book, which would be consumed rather quickly by a voracious reader.

There are two more in this series! Song of the Quark Beast is number two I think. Dd likes these too. She also loves the books in the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde but those you have to read first because the language is dreadful. No descriptive adult situations through #5 in the series but you should try first. These are found in the adult section. This series is particularly funny if they enjoy classic literature.

I just found a book that DD seems to be quite enjoying. It's a fantasy, The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde, and surprisingly well-written (comment comes from having to go through a bunch of YA novels recently) and witty. The main character is about 15-years old and is becoming one of my favorite young heroines for the younger teen crowd.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Dragonslayer-Chronicles-Kazam-Book/dp/0544104714/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375581617&sr=1-1&keywords=The+last+dragonslayer

But, that's just one book, which would be consumed rather quickly by a voracious reader.

There are two more in this series! Song of the Quark Beast is number two I think. Dd likes these too. She also loves the books in the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde but those you have to read first because the language is dreadful. No descriptive adult situations through #5 in the series but you should try first. These are found in the adult section. This series is particularly funny if they enjoy classic literature.

These look like possibilities. Jotting them down.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before - We're reading Joan Aiken's books, we did The Wolves of Willoughby Chase and we're almost done with Black Hearts in Battersea. We'll read more from this series for sure. We're doing it as a read aloud and both girls love these stories, but it would be a perfect independent read for a 12 yo. It's definitely more advanced in reading level, vocabulary wise, etc.

Ahhhh....why didn't I think of this either. She LOVED The Wolves of Willoughby Chase. Joan Aiken is on the list.

I have had this same trouble.  Here are 2 threads that I started for my 12 year old that have a lot of book recommendations that you can choose from.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/371304-please-give-me-some-reading-suggestions-for-my-12-year-old-who-has-ready-everything/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/471043-need-advice-on-book-list-for-my-13yo/

Ruth in NZ

I have had this same trouble. Here are 2 threads that I started for my 12 year old that have a lot of book recommendations that you can choose from.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/371304-please-give-me-some-reading-suggestions-for-my-12-year-old-who-has-ready-everything/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/471043-need-advice-on-book-list-for-my-13yo/

Ruth in NZ

Oh Ruth thank you!! Bookmarked those two threads. Did your kids have some favorites from those recs?

I have had this same trouble. Here are 2 threads that I started for my 12 year old that have a lot of book recommendations that you can choose from.

Ruth in NZ

Ruth....quick question....as I'm rummaging through all these lists, great stuff by the way, I'm wondering if you happened to save your reading lists for the Middle Ages? My two youngers will be right around the ages of your boys when you would have done that cycle. From the lists of your two boys, we seem to be choosing similar reading experiences with similar expectations.

Those are not advanced reading level, though. I have this trouble with my dd, too, it seems that a lot of books that are topically appropriate are at a 4th-6th grade reading level, and I'd really like to challenge her reading level more, she can blaze through all these in an hour or two.

I've been thinking about what you said here Rose and I think this is my problem. She's a very "young" twelve and I don't want to take away that innocence. At the same time, she's an excellent reader and is more than ready to tackle harder texts. I want her to struggle for meaning, symbolism, vocabulary, context, etc. I don't want her to blow through books in an hour (my dd does this too). I want to advance her thoughts and experiences with books because she is a book lover, not just a reading lover but a book lover. (This is the kid literally cried when we walked into the New York City Library for the first time.)

I think there is such a huge benefit to reading the classics anyway, but allowing them to push your thoughts, your boundaries, your preconceived notions, that is one of the greatest benefits of reading. I just wonder when is the right time. When do you push, when do you protect? When is it right for them to guide me, or when do I need to be the one pushing the envelope? And God forbid, if you push a topic/character that you think they're ready for and they're not, how do you know you won't ruin that book and maybe them (think Wuthering Heights for me at 10, that dumb English teacher messed me up for a bit).

So thus far, I've been handling this through a lot of discussion of the "easier" books....the authors' bio, the time periods, analysis, changing endings she didn't like etc. I think it's worked and we've enjoyed that time tremendously, but I'm wondering if it's time for the next step. How do you know?

That's such a great question, happyhome, and I ask myself (and the Hive) this question all the time.  I guess I tend to err on the side of protecting the childhood of my dds, and anything that's iffy, I make sure and pre-read.  Or we read it together, so that we can discuss the issues - we did that with To Kill a Mockingbird, and it was truly wonderful.  Heavy book, heavy issues, but a wonderful experience to read and talk about it together (she was 9).  

This is why I'm leaning toward books like the ones I mentioned, older books with complex vocab and sentence structure, rather than the modern classics, or even the classic classics, if they are grappling with issues that are just too heavy.  Not just for the innocence reason, but also like you said, you can read this stuff too early, before you have the maturity and life experience to "get it" and then decide you just don't like X author, or the classics, or reading even, and that can stick with you for years, and I don't want that!  I'm re-reading so many books I didn't enjoy the first time around, or authors that I didn't explore because of them being "spoiled" for me by reading to early, and I definitely think that some "classic" literature can't, and probably shouldn't, be enjoyed till you have a little maturity and life experience!

Examples that come to mind - I tried but never finished Mrs. Dalloway in my 20s, hated it, but loved it at 40.

I never read Hemingway after being forced to read The Old Man and the Sea in 7th grade and hating it - I'm reading him now with enjoyment.

We had to read Of Mice and Men in high school, I can't remember which grade, and it was so upsetting I've avoided Steinbeck - now I'm enjoying The Grapes of Wrath and find it to be one of my favorite books of all time, and can't believe I've missed it for so long.

I guess the point is, planning our kids' education it can feel like we have to cram everything into their 12 years of school we have (nominal) control over, but that's the wrong way to approach it, I think.  This is just the beginning of their reading life, it will go on as long as they live! Our job is not to make sure they've "read the classics" in the sense of checking off a must-read list, but to give them a love and appreciation for books and literature, so that they will keep reading, and discover and rediscover authors with pleasure and familiarity as they grow and mature.

So, I don't have an answer, but keep asking yourself the question! And looking for books your dd will enjoy.  That's more important that challenging her at this point.  She has the rest of her life to read.

Hi Happy, if I could suggest, it's much easier to teach her how to find her own that it is for you constantly to provide for her.  That's tricky, but you can kind of work together.  What we do is my dd "shops" on amazon, using their recommendations and rabbit trails, and then she puts the books on hold through the library.  Since I'm with her when we get them from the library, I can look them over to make sure things are ok.  Now for last year her big interest was LotR, which meant everything was a LotR-related book, not hard to monitor.  Now I helped her get onto some mailing lists for new books, so she can keep up with new stuff that's coming out.  For instance there's going to be a new book by the man who wrote Schindler's List.  There are all sorts of blogs and feeds and whatnot for this.  I think Goodreads is one she follows.  You can also go to amazon and they keep lists of new books, upcoming books, etc.  Just snoop around there.  

What I did when my dd was younger was use the VP catalog, TQ, basically anything I could find to keep her in books.  I tend to hit used sales.  She's into history, so TQ had a lot of her favs for years.  Kids' tastes vary.  Now I try to pick the brains of people who like the same things she does.  For instance, I have a friend who's a history lover.  She'll tell me about the books SHE read as a child, and I'll go find those series for dd.  One of those was the Lady Grace mysteries.  You never see them mentioned here.  

I think at that age dd was reading Alison Wier, Starkey, that kind of thing.  She's very into history, and she found them in the adult non-fiction section.  Biographies, fiction, non-fiction, some of the lines start to blur and they throw a lot together in the adult section.  So you might head that way and see if she finds anything she likes.  Remember too you can go other directions.  For a while there she read books on home decorating.  I've got her some Alton Brown cookbooks and whatnot for fall.  Cookbooks can be very compelling reading, as they often have stories in them.  So for almost any topic, she could dig in and find things to interest her.  Moving toward that non-fiction adult section is where you go to step it up.  Yes some historical fiction will lean toward romance.  We skip that.  Just play around with it, find something she likes, rabbit trail it on amazon...

Here is the middle ages list for 6th grade, clearly he also read some other classics.  We did NOT like The White Company, it was really just obvious and boring, but he later read Ivanhoe and really liked it.  It also has a decently strong female character who is actually Jewish, very surprising for the age.   Oh, we also did not like Joan of Arc by Twain, she was a really flat character.   I have a read aloud list also, somewhere, which could also be good for a good second grader to read independently.  I'll look.

HTH,

Ruth in NZ

6th grade: Middle ages - books he actually read (see other list below)

Beowulf by Sutcliff
Lord of the Rings

Sword in the Stone trilogy
The Black Arrow by Stevenson
The White Company by Doyle

Joan of Arc By Mark Twain

Ivanhoe

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, translation by tolkien

Other classics read that year: (he does lik sci fi and distopians)
The Mars Series x9 Edgar Rice Borroughs
20000 leagues under the sea
Master of the World by Verne

Christmas Carol
Dune

Lensman x7
Flatland
Crysalids
Day of the Triffids
Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

Literature – Logic Medieval  - this was the larger list that my 6th grader chose from

400-1000 Early Middle ages: Knights and Castles, Feudalism, Vikings Sept, Oct

Beowulf the Warrior , Sutcliff , L

The story of Rolf and the Viking Bow French , B

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight ,Tolkien B

Conn Yankee in King Arthur's Court , B

The Once and Future King, White, L (trilogy)

Tales from Arabian Nights Lang, L

1000-1400 High Middle ages: Crusades, Holy Roman Empire Byzantium, Plague Nov, Dec

Ivanho B

Crispin: Cross of Lead, Avi L  (too easy)

Catherine Called Birdy, Cushman L (too easy)

Mary, bloody Mary Meyer L

Sir Nigel, Doyle G

The White Company, Doyle G

Canturbury Tales, Original,

Lord of the Rings, Tolkien, G (trilogy) J term

Eastern China, India, Japan, Africa (Mali), Khmer Empire Jan, Feb

A Single Shard, Park L

Lady of Ch'lao Kuo L diary series

South America Incas, Aztecs, Conquistadors Feb, Mar

Lady of Palenque L diary series

The Left-handed Spirit L

The captive O'Dell L

Early Rennaissance Apr, May, June

Joan of Arc, Twain, B

Black Arrow, Stephenson L

Trumpeter of Krakow L

Dante's divine comedy Chwast (graphic novel), L

Books by Sutcliff

Outcast- Britain under roman rule, focus on celts and picts

Sutcliff has a series on Arthur

Mark of the horse lord – brtian under roman rul, N tribes

Shining Company – britain, fuedal chiefs, saxons

Blood Fued , Sutcliff , britain, constantinople

Sword Song – vikings

Read Alouds for History - these are really good books!  But most are not classics, so I kind of put them in a different category in my mind.

British White Stag (Attila the Hun) L

Vikings Beowolf

Castles, feudalism Castle, City Macaulay L

King Arthur and His Knights, Pyle L

Arabian, Islam One Thousand and One Nights, McCaughrean L

1000-1400 High Middle ages: Crusades, Holy Roman Empire Byzentine empire, Plague Nov, Dec

High middle ages Adventures of Robin Hood, Pyle L

Midwife's apprentice B

Adam of the Road, Gray - 13th C england, NE Award L

Shadow of a bull – Bull fighting L

Canturburly tales McCaughrean L

Eastern China, India, Japan, Africa, Khmer Empire Jan, Feb

Samurai's Tale, Haugaard L

Secret of the Andes O

Around the World's Rim O

Other

Shakespeare Macbeth, Hamlet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream;

Taming of the Shrew; Much Ado About

Master Cronhhill – Plague in 1654, London fire B

Eyewitness: Vikings, Knights, Midevial Life, Castle, Arms and Armor,

That's such a great question, happyhome, and I ask myself (and the Hive) this question all the time.  I guess I tend to err on the side of protecting the childhood of my dds, and anything that's iffy, I make sure and pre-read.  Or we read it together, so that we can discuss the issues - we did that with To Kill a Mockingbird, and it was truly wonderful.  Heavy book, heavy issues, but a wonderful experience to read and talk about it together (she was 9).  

This is why I'm leaning toward books like the ones I mentioned, older books with complex vocab and sentence structure, rather than the modern classics, or even the classic classics, if they are grappling with issues that are just too heavy.  Not just for the innocence reason, but also like you said, you can read this stuff too early, before you have the maturity and life experience to "get it" and then decide you just don't like X author, or the classics, or reading even, and that can stick with you for years, and I don't want that!  I'm re-reading so many books I didn't enjoy the first time around, or authors that I didn't explore because of them being "spoiled" for me by reading to early, and I definitely think that some "classic" literature can't, and probably shouldn't, be enjoyed till you have a little maturity and life experience!

Examples that come to mind - I tried but never finished Mrs. Dalloway in my 20s, hated it, but loved it at 40.

I never read Hemingway after being forced to read The Old Man and the Sea in 7th grade and hating it - I'm reading him now with enjoyment.

We had to read Of Mice and Men in high school, I can't remember which grade, and it was so upsetting I've avoided Steinbeck - now I'm enjoying The Grapes of Wrath and find it to be one of my favorite books of all time, and can't believe I've missed it for so long.

I guess the point is, planning our kids' education it can feel like we have to cram everything into their 12 years of school we have (nominal) control over, but that's the wrong way to approach it, I think.  This is just the beginning of their reading life, it will go on as long as they live! Our job is not to make sure they've "read the classics" in the sense of checking off a must-read list, but to give them a love and appreciation for books and literature, so that they will keep reading, and discover and rediscover authors with pleasure and familiarity as they grow and mature.

So, I don't have an answer, but keep asking yourself the question! And looking for books your dd will enjoy.  That's more important that challenging her at this point.  She has the rest of her life to read.

Thank you for that Rose.  I have to remember to always read your posts in the morning with a nice cup of java.  You have a way of making complex things simple and of unwinding my OCD brain (think Math a little while ago).  You're right.  She loves to read.  She calls the characters her "friends."  She's happy.  I am always on the hunt for books and so is she so I'm sure the rabbit holes are endless.  This thread and those wonderful links by Ruth have given her lists and lists and lists to sort through.  She said it's like Christmas in August....lol.  Thanks for the perspective.  I needed it.

Hi Happy, if I could suggest, it's much easier to teach her how to find her own that it is for you constantly to provide for her.  

That's a great point OhElizabeth.  We are beginning to make that transition now.  I have found wonderful book blogs, lists and websites from you all here on the Hive.  I think you're right.  She is old enough to begin searching on her own a bit.   I'm going to work harder on that transition.  

That's tricky, but you can kind of work together.  What we do is my dd "shops" on amazon, using their recommendations and rabbit trails, and then she puts the books on hold through the library.  Since I'm with her when we get them from the library, I can look them over to make sure things are ok.  Now for last year her big interest was LotR, which meant everything was a LotR-related book, not hard to monitor.  Now I helped her get onto some mailing lists for new books, so she can keep up with new stuff that's coming out.  For instance there's going to be a new book by the man who wrote Schindler's List.  There are all sorts of blogs and feeds and whatnot for this.  I think Goodreads is one she follows.  You can also go to amazon and they keep lists of new books, upcoming books, etc.  Just snoop around there.  

These are good ideas too.

What I did when my dd was younger was use the VP catalog, TQ, basically anything I could find to keep her in books.  I tend to hit used sales.  She's into history, so TQ had a lot of her favs for years.  Kids' tastes vary.  Now I try to pick the brains of people who like the same things she does.  For instance, I have a friend who's a history lover.  She'll tell me about the books SHE read as a child, and I'll go find those series for dd.  One of those was the Lady Grace mysteries.  You never see them mentioned here.  

VP, Sonlight, TQ and Lamplighter are standards around here too.  Picking brains is a good idea too.  I have an Unlce who is a History buff.  I never thought to call him for book recs.....very smart.

I think at that age dd was reading Alison Wier, Starkey, that kind of thing.  She's very into history, and she found them in the adult non-fiction section.  Biographies, fiction, non-fiction, some of the lines start to blur and they throw a lot together in the adult section.  So you might head that way and see if she finds anything she likes.  Remember too you can go other directions.  For a while there she read books on home decorating.  I've got her some Alton Brown cookbooks and whatnot for fall.  Cookbooks can be very compelling reading, as they often have stories in them.  So for almost any topic, she could dig in and find things to interest her.  Moving toward that non-fiction adult section is where you go to step it up.  Yes some historical fiction will lean toward romance.  We skip that.  Just play around with it, find something she likes, rabbit trail it on amazon...

I am going to show her how to do this.  My rabbit trailing on Amazon has been one of my most enjoyable hobbies.  Thanks for all your suggestions OhElizabeth.  A lot to think about here....good stuff.

If you haven't offered Dickens or Melville yet, you might try them.

Not that it's exactly what you're asking for, but I wonder if she'd like to try slowing down to savor some poetry?

Poetry....ha!!!  She loves Poetry.  Why didn't I think of that?  Adding that to the list straight away.  Thank you Whitehawk.

Literature – Logic Medieval  - this was the larger list that my 6th grader chose from

Beowulf the Warrior , Sutcliff , L

The story of Rolf and the Viking Bow French , B

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight ,Tolkien B

Conn Yankee in King Arthur's Court , B

The Once and Future King, White, L (trilogy)

Tales from Arabian Nights Lang, L

1000-1400 High Middle ages: Crusades, Holy Roman Empire Byzantium, Plague Nov, Dec

Ivanho B

Crispin: Cross of Lead, Avi L  (too easy)

Catherine Called Birdy, Cushman L (too easy)

Mary, bloody Mary Meyer L

Sir Nigel, Doyle G

The White Company, Doyle G

Canturbury Tales, Original,

Lord of the Rings, Tolkien, G (trilogy) J term

Eastern China, India, Japan, Africa (Mali), Khmer Empire Jan, Feb

A Single Shard, Park L

Lady of Ch'lao Kuo L diary series

Lady of Palenque L diary series

The Left-handed Spirit L

The captive O'Dell L

Early Rennaissance Apr, May, June

Joan of Arc, Twain, B

Black Arrow, Stephenson L

Trumpeter of Krakow L

Dante's divine comedy Chwast (graphic novel), L

Books by Sutcliff

Outcast- Britain under roman rule, focus on celts and picts

Sutcliff has a series on Arthur

Mark of the horse lord – brtian under roman rul, N tribes

Shining Company – britain, fuedal chiefs, saxons

Blood Fued , Sutcliff , britain, constantinople

Sword Song – vikings

Read Alouds for History - these are really good books!  But most are not classics, so I kind of put them in a different category in my mind.

British White Stag (Attila the Hun) L

Vikings Beowolf

Castles, feudalism Castle, City Macaulay L

King Arthur and His Knights, Pyle L

Arabian, Islam One Thousand and One Nights, McCaughrean L

1000-1400 High Middle ages: Crusades, Holy Roman Empire Byzentine empire, Plague Nov, Dec

High middle ages Adventures of Robin Hood, Pyle L

Midwife's apprentice B

Adam of the Road, Gray - 13th C england, NE Award L

Shadow of a bull – Bull fighting L

Canturburly tales McCaughrean L

Eastern China, India, Japan, Africa, Khmer Empire Jan, Feb

Samurai's Tale, Haugaard L

Secret of the Andes O

Around the World's Rim O

Other

Shakespeare Macbeth, Hamlet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream;

Taming of the Shrew; Much Ado About

Master Cronhhill – Plague in 1654, London fire B

Eyewitness: Vikings, Knights, Midevial Life, Castle, Arms and Armor,

Thank you, thank you, thank you Ruth.  There are some really interesting titles here that were not on my current list.  It's raining here to day and I can't wait to curl up and start going through all of this.  Thank you so much.

One thing dd15 and I have recently started using is Goodreads. You can open an account there. Log what you have read and rate it. Also keep a running wish list. The suggestions for me are OK. I think I am too eclectic for consistently good suggestions but the Goodreads suggestions for dd have been good overall. Many suggestions she has already read and enjoyed. We have actually been a bit amazed because not all recommendations have been current publications, I think Scarlett Pimpernel was recommended for instance. The system appears to know she does not want graphic violence etc but enjoys Miss Marple type mysteries and recommends accordingly. Recently Goodreads was purchased by Amazon so things could be changing....

Another handy feature for me is because dd is my "friend' I can look and see how she is progressing on her various books. Makes it a bit easier to plan sometimes.

One thing dd15 and I have recently started using is Goodreads. You can open an account there. Log what you have read and rate it. Also keep a running wish list. The suggestions for me are OK. I think I am too eclectic for consistently good suggestions but the Goodreads suggestions for dd have been good overall. Many suggestions she has already read and enjoyed. We have actually been a bit amazed because not all recommendations have been current publications, I think Scarlett Pimpernel was recommended for instance. The system appears to know she does not want graphic violence etc but enjoys Miss Marple type mysteries and recommends accordingly. Recently Goodreads was purchased by Amazon so things could be changing....

Another handy feature for me is because dd is my "friend' I can look and see how she is progressing on her various books. Makes it a bit easier to plan sometimes.

I just set up her account. She loves this. I had to play with the settings a bit to ensure safety but she's good to go. Thanks for the suggestion!