Menu

UGH....my printer stopped working and I need a new one...

ProudGrandma

one of the worst things that can happen to me right before school starts!!

So, I need your help...

I need a color/bw laser printer with a scanner.  What brand?  Which one?  can't afford to spend tons of money...but dont' want to replace in a couple years either.

Can you help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is more money than we have to spend...I am looking more for around $150 or so....but thanks.

Oh, sorry :(

I shopped around quite a bit before I bought one. Once you add in things like color printing, duplex printing and scanning the price on lasers goes up quite a bit. In your price range it's mostly bare-bones BW laser printers. Costco does have a couple BW with scanners for $199 if you can live without color:

http://t.costco.com/Brother-MFC-7360N-Black-%2526-White-All-in-One-Laser-Printer.product.11642209.html

http://t.costco.com/Canon-imageCLASS-MF4770n-Black-%2526-White-Multifunction-Laser-Printer.product.100003730.html

Have you considered inkjet instead?

what is the main difference between inkjet and laser? I found several Epson brand inkjet printers for my price range...but 1) is Epson a good brand? They all got lots of good reviews and 2) again, is inkjet ok? Sorry if that is a dumb question..thanks.

I have not been very happy with my Epson printer.  In fact, it hasn't been working properly for the past month and I'm looking to replace it.  It's the Epson Stylus NX510.

I just asked this question a day or two ago.  Someone (can't remember who) sent me to a website.  Most people on the site loved this HP :  http://www.amazon.com/HP-Officejet-Wireless-Printer-Scanner/dp/B005O55TDO/ref=pd_ybh_13

The difference between a laser and injet is that the laser's toner costs more, but will last you much, much longer... the quality of the printing is better (normally used by professionals), but it doesn't have a scanner.  Laser printers cost much more since they're usually used in offices rather than for home use.

Good luck ,and let us know what you find.  I'm in the market myself.

Be sure to factor in the cost of ink vs toner. We switched from a color inkjet to a black and white Brother HL 5340D laser on a good sale (I don't remember what we paid, but would be surprised if it was over $200) and have been very happy. It doesn't scan, doesn't copy, just prints, but it doesn't go through ink like water. We had it for a year before we had to change the toner (look for a youtube video on extending the life of your cartridge---very easy and works well). We also had issues with the inkjet printer not being able to print black and white if one of the color cartridges went out (this was one with separate color and black cartridges and each color was its own cartridge in hopes that we wouldn't have to replace the whole thing every time one color ran out as we did with multi-color cartridges). We got a deal on the toner at an office supply store when it was on a good sale.

We decided it was cheaper to do any color printing (especially photo printing) at a store rather than at home, but, honestly, we haven't needed to do that very often. What and how much do you need to print? Is it critical that it be in color? How about scanning? Might it be overall cheaper to get a separate scanner?

I'd stay away from HP like it was the plague!

I had at least 2 of them quit working the month after the warranty expired. I was underwhelmed with tech support and the manufacturing people also. I had one tech tell me, "That printer cannot possibly do what you say it is doing."

I told him, "Well, I'm standing here watching it do just that, so one of us doesn't know what they are talking about." Grrr.

We bought an Epson that is okay, but I don't love it. I have heard good things about Cannons and Brothers but they were too pricey for my budget when we purchased this most recent one.

Just don't buy the Epson XP-400 it burns through ink way too fast and costs me like 40 bucks every time I need more. The dumb thing only cost me 50 dollars(on sale) to begin with. It works great though. We have had several different epson printers and they print well, but the ink is killing me.

Just don't buy the Epson XP-400 it burns through ink way too fast and costs me like 40 bucks every time I need more. The dumb thing only cost me 50 dollars(on sale) to begin with. It works great though. We have had several different epson printers and they print well, but the ink is killing me.

Yep, the Epson ink is crazy expensive.  

I would replace with two printers, an affordable black and white duplexing laser, and an inexpensive printer/scanner/color inkjet.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-2270DW-Compact-Wireless-Networking/dp/B00450DVDY/ref=lp_172648_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375329306&sr=1-1

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-PIXMA-MG2220-All-in-One-Inkjet-Multifunction-Printer-w-Bonus-Accessory-Value-Bundle/24457082

Unless you do A LOT of printing that needs to be in color, this is the most cost effective option. I love my black and white laser printer. It can print a 100+ page workbook in a couple minutes.

to answer a few questions:  the scanner isn't super important...in fact, I don't ever use it as a scanner, but rather as a copy machine.  We don't live close enough to a office max (45 miles away) to rely on their services....which also sort of answers the qusestion about the color printing....I use it way less than the b/w printing, but on occasion, it's nice to have the color option.  I copy a lot...we use Math Mammoth and I have a subscription to Evan Moor's File Box...plus just other regular copying of other stuff....recipes etc. 

So, do I need color...well, no...but it's sure nice to have.  I have never considered buying 2 separate machines...but I really don't have the space for 2 machines either...

glad for the opinions on the Epson printers.....looked at Brother...but didn't know how good they were either.  Wow...this is a hard decision...and I am sort of hoping I can either buy from Amazon or Overstock (free or very cheap shipping)....

thanks also for the input on the injet ink vs the laser toner costs....I wondered about that too.

Keep the ideas and thoughts coming....

I would never buy an HP again, either. They're ghastly.

We have a Brother inkjet and a Brother laser, both all-in-one, and they're awesome. The laser replaced a Samsung laser that is just a printer and doesn't duplex (or network), and I loved that one, too. We just needed networking.

I buy ink and toner from SuperMediaStore.com. Their prices are excellent and I've never had a problem with their products.

I would never buy an HP again, either. They're ghastly.

We have a Brother inkjet and a Brother laser, both all-in-one, and they're awesome. The laser replaced a Samsung laser that is just a printer and doesn't duplex (or network), and I loved that one, too. We just needed networking.

I buy ink and toner from SuperMediaStore.com. Their prices are excellent and I've never had a problem with their products.

since you own both an inkjet and a laser, can you tell me if one or the other costs more per page of printing (specifically b/w because 98% of what I do is b/w)....or if it's sort of a wash.

Which Brother printers do you own?  I was looking at a couple brother printers.

thanks.

In that price range, you aren't likely to find a color laser. Replacing a full set of cartridges in generally well above that for color lasers. 

I highly recommend this Epson inkjet: http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-Smartphone-Compatible-C11CB92201/dp/B005IVL0RS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375369984&sr=8-1&keywords=epson+workforce+845

I have one at home (9 months or so thus far, very heavy use) and one at my mom's (light use). They have been VERY easy to use and reliable and are much, much more ink efficient and user friendly than the HPs and Dells I'd had previously. In fact, I literally threw away a working Dell at my mom's along with at least $200 in spare Dell ink because the damn thing was so glitchy and Mom needs simple. I'd been so happy with our Epson that I just replaced hers even though the Dell was still technically fine, but just needed lots of rebooting and jiggering all the time (just like the identical one I'd had at my house before the Epson). HPs are fine but run through ink and die annually. 

In any case, consider ink economy when purchasing because the printers themselves are often free or extremely cheap once you count in the ink. 

The Epson I liked above is Heaven sent. It never gets glitchy. Never jams. Has huge paper trays. You can print from iPads and phones as well as normal printing. Wireless is a breeze to set up.

HTH

ps. FWIW, I have bought several color lasers for work. The first three each died in 18 months or so, and with $500 or so in ink for single full set of toner, I finally went with a Dell color laser (comparably priced, about $400-500, which is actually just the cost of the ink! In general, when I worked the numbers, it was usually as cheap to buy a new printer as to buy the ink inside it. But, when they die and you have $400+ of ink in the printer +/- another $500 in replacement cartidges on the shelf it is a very bad thing!) . . .anyway, I chose the Dell b/c you could buy an extended warranty for another couple years, giving me at least three years of guaranteed bumper to bumper working printer. That was about four or five years ago, and the damn thing is still running like a workhorse, probably printing at least 300 pg/day for all these years. It's amazing. But, I still won't spend that kind of money on a home printer. Then again, it is our family business, so I do bulk printing at work. I guess if I didn't have access to that, I'd go ahead and take the plunge at home, but I'd be sure to buy one from a big company that does on-site warranty work and buy a long extended warranty. (And, I NEVER buy extended warranties!)

where do you get your ink? one of the reviews on a link for black ink said that for the $50 cartridge said I could print about 945 prints...which comes to about .05 a page....with my laser printer that died, I was printing for about .03 a print...so the savings isn't great...but it is more expensive...just an observation....

unless you get your ink cheaper someplace else.

edited:

NEVERMIND....I just looked at the link for the ink again...and it was a double set...so it was for 2 ink cart. not one.....so the price per page is actually about the same...

Both Epson and Brother are very good brand (I have had good luck with them).  I currently have a Brother Multi function B/W laser printer..it has been working great for last 4 years.  For the last two years, I have been using generic(OEM) laser toner instead of Brother toner(amazon sells the generic for $15 vs. Brother brand toner is $35) and have had no problem.  If color is important then you may have to buy inkjet because color laser is very pricey!

Oh, do not buy HP.  I have had terrible experience with them