Menu

DS is interested in law, any neat books/curriculum/etc??

My DS 12 has been reading a lot of fictional law stories. He is very interested in it now and wants to be able to watch real court cases, but not Judge Judy type stuff. Does anybody have anything interesting I could show him? More books, videos, court cases, curriculum, etc?

Thanks for any ideas!

Contact your local courthouse. Out here they have a field trip they'll do for school groups--they might do such a thing for a homeschooler as well.

See what's airing on Court TV. They put actual trials on there, that's the point of it.

You might find some good stuff here: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/supremecourt/resources/children.html

My DS 12 has been reading a lot of fictional law stories. He is very interested in it now and wants to be able to watch real court cases, but not Judge Judy type stuff. Does anybody have anything interesting I could show him? More books, videos, court cases, curriculum, etc?

Thanks for any ideas!

My 10yo is interested in law, too. What stories has your son read? Thanks for starting this thread :)

He has been reading the ones written by Randy Singer. They do have Christian content if that is an issue. I like them because they are similar to John Grisham books but more suitable for a 12 year old. Actually, I can't remember if John Grisham's regular books are ok for a 12 year old... are they??

Your son could listen to the oral arguments found here, http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_audio.asp or read the slip opinions found here, http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/slipopinions.aspx.

If you can find an older edition of a Torts or Criminal Law book, those cases are more interesting than most fictional books.

Do you mean something like this book?

http://www.amazon.com/Tort-Law-Responsibilities-Redress-Materials/dp/0735565600/ref=sr_1_14?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375320445&sr=1-14&keywords=tort+law

Where are you?  Getting a sense of the law system wherever you are could be interesting.  Even the understanding that legal systems can be more different from place to place than say, mathematics, which tends no longer to be so dependent on location (by no longer, I was thinking that once upon a time part of the world was dealing in Roman numerals while other parts were developing algebra).

A favorite here with my teens is "they broke the law, you be the judge"  It has tales of youth (ages 9-17) who broke the law, with background information, and what theya re charged with.  It lists out some possible sentences and the reader selects what sentence they feel it should be and why (great for learning debating skills too).  Then the book tells what the judge actually did, a letter from the youth, and where the youth is now at time of publication.  Great discussion starter, and deals with the law but in a different way that standard law books.  My kids love this book.  Another option would be the uncle josh's book what happened to justice? (in the penny candy series by bluestocking press). 

He has been reading the ones written by Randy Singer. They do have Christian content if that is an issue. I like them because they are similar to John Grisham books but more suitable for a 12 year old. Actually, I can't remember if John Grisham's regular books are ok for a 12 year old... are they??

The Theodore Boone books are written by Grisham for children/youth. We have listened to the first one on audio and I never felt there was anything in it that would be too mature. My 8yr old enjoyed it as well as my 16yr old and me. We plan on listening to more.

There are some things in the adult Grisham books I would not let a 12 yr old read yet.

I'd been interested in law as a kid/teen.  Then I was told it was all boring writing, so I went another path. 

A few things I enjoyed.

1)  A book on law aimed at the general public

2)  An LSAT prep book.  Those logic puzzles were a hoot.

3)  My parents had a party game based on court cases. 

4)  An old law reference book. 

I would have loved those Critical Thinking books. 

My father was on the jury for a felony criminal case.  There was an older couple that watched it.  Dad talked to them afterward.  They were retired and watching court cases was their hobby.  One thing interesting, dad asked if they usually agreed with the jury.  They said they always did except when they got to hear/see stuff that the jury did not.