Menu

What is considered "slacking" in senior year?

I have frequently seen the advice to make sure senior year is academically strong so that colleges do not get the feeling the student rests on his laurels and is taking a break. I am trying to figure out what exactly that means.

Is it necessary to have the same number of credits in senior year as in preceding years? Would a student who had a very full junior year with 8.5 credits be OK with taking 7.5 credits senior year?

How important is the number of dual enrollment classes? DD took 8 and 7 credit hours in the past two semesters, respectively, has signed up for 9 hours in the fall, but may only take 3 credit hours in the spring (class catalog is not out yet, but there may be no classes that fit her needs).

FWIW, the coursework shows clear progression  in math, science and foreign language.

I think they just want students to keep up a similar quality of work.  In the past, seniors often didn't need to take math or science, and maybe only needed 3-4 credits to graduate.  (In my case, I just went ahead and graduated early.)  Now colleges are saying they don't like this weak senior year.  Maybe they saw such students struggling in college, not sure. 

I also think they don't want students boasting of great senior courseloads and then not following through.  That could be taken as lying.  I don't think they seem to look for amazing feats, just work consistent with what the student claims they have been doing all along.

Here's what the U of MN says:

How important are my senior year grades?

Senior year courses and grades are very important. Senior year courses are a primary factor that we consider when making admission decisions. In August, after final transcripts are received, we review each student's senior year coursework and the grades earned in those courses to confirm course completion and that the performance during the senior year is consistent with the academic performance at the time of application. Changes in senior year coursework may result in a change to the student's college of admission. Unsuccessful completion of senior year coursework and/or a significant decline in academic performance during the senior year may result in the cancellation of admission.

http://admissions.tc.umn.edu/apply/hs_policy.html

Regentrude, I don't think anyone looking at your dd's transcript will be concerned about 7.5 vs. 8.5 credits.  Even the lesser number of CC courses isn't a problem as long as she is taking something.  The concern is more for the kids who only take the bare minimum number of credits for enrollment and the classes they take are easy. 

I think the number of credits is not as important as the rigor of the classes. 7.5 credits is still a heavy load. Many public school students don't even have the option of taking that many. With the level of your dd's classes, I don't think anyone will blink at one fewer credits than the previous year.

Regentrude, I don't think anyone looking at your dd's transcript will be concerned about 7.5 vs. 8.5 credits.  Even the lesser number of CC courses isn't a problem as long as she is taking something.  The concern is more for the kids who only take the bare minimum number of credits for enrollment and the classes they take are easy. 

:iagree:

I would be careful not to load too much into the first semester of the senior year.  College applications take a lot of time and "mental space."  I think there is a clear difference in slacking off and taking a reasonable course load.  I would not worry a bit about the scenario you describe. :001_smile:

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the 8.5 credits vs. 7.5 credits. I wouldn't point it out either.

Also, I would put down what she is taking this coming fall, and you might also say that her spring dual enrollment plans are not solid yet because the college catalog isn't out yet. You can report what she decides to take in the spring in the mid-year report. That is what I did with my oldest, and it worked out fine. Once the catalog comes out, if she only takes 3 credits in the spring at the college, then maybe you can add a class or two at home to round out her schedule if needed.

JM2Cents,

Brenda

Back in the day, those who slacked off in Sr year REALLY slacked off: A's would drop to C's or lower by the beginning of the 2nd semester, or an advanced student taking typing (not that there is anything wrong with typing classes).

We had our kids do an internship about half time senior year, and their other courses were things they picked/designed (e.g., 20th century novels, French cinema, image processing, an advanced math or science class at the community college).  So they were "slacking" in a way, but in a way that looks good to colleges. Does that make sense?

Yup, I think you have nothing to worry about.

Senior slacking comes in two forms, sometimes in combo. Form one is lowered grades, especially dramatically lowered grades. Form two is taking no math, science, history. etc. beyond what they are required to do. So if the state requires three maths, they don't take one their senior year and so forth. OR taking super easy classes compared to what they did the previous year. So pre-calculus with an A is followed by consumer math. 

FWIW, the coursework shows clear progression  in math, science and foreign language.

IMI(ignorant)O, this is all that matters.

FWIW, junior year, ds took 4 classes at CC each semester (math, english, science, govt/humanities) and 2 classes at PS (spanish, pe).  His senior year, he'll be taking 4 classes at CC (math, spanish, humanities, music) and 1 class at PS (pe) in fall semester.  Spring semester is undecided, but I hope he continues in math and spanish.  It could be considered slacking, I suppose.  I suspect that it isn't entirely necessary that he complete another semester of social science and fine art.

Mostly, I wasn't willing to engage in a battle for more english or science.  I suspect you don't have battles like this with your dd.  Maybe it will be a good thing due to college applications, college visits, etc.

I think you'll do fine.  :grouphug:

I was a slacker my senior year. I knew I wasn't going to college, I was graduating at semester and, frankly, I was simply done being in school. I was a mostly A student. My senior year I barely studied, rarely read a text and ended up with my lowest grade ever, one C-. I also dropped Geometry in favor of recordkeeping because the Geometry teacher spent the first week telling the class of freshman how awful seniors were. I was one of two seniors in the class and it really felt she never acknowledged I was even in the room. Actually, the recordkeeping has been extremely helpful in real life. :lol: I still ended up in the top ten percent of my class only because the class was so large. IMO, this is what shouldn't be done your senior year (except the graduating early part if applicable)

My son was one of those "slackers" ;) who reduced his load from 8 credits to 7 his senior year. To be honest, he pulled back on dual enrollment his last semester in order to be able to make some college visits which were impossible for him to do otherwise given that it always seems to take a while to get anywhere from here.

I think that the senior slacker trend has turned around. Decades ago, I encountered first year college students who had not taken finals during their senior year. They had prom and parties and trips--but no finals. Not that finals are the be all and end all for measuring knowledge, but it seemed that some of these kids had lost some study skills--or at least the good habits that go with solid study skills. Also, with more states requiring more core classes for graduation (like four years of Math), it is getting harder to slack off and just have a party year.