Menu

Doctor's visit to become an established patient?

Wildcat

What can I expect during this visit? It's a new doctor (we moved records) and the nurse suggested that an appointment be made to establish ourselves as patients, so we won't be considered 'new patients'. It sounded like a good idea to me but I, uh, forgot to ask what would be done during the visit.  :closedeyes: 

Anyone know? :bigear:

It's not a biggie at all, but I'm just curious.

Basic info weight/height etc.

Identifying if records requests are needed and if so where.

Basic exam.  Not a pap, etc, Just blood pressure, and a review of any problem areas.

Collecting family history.

Listing of current medications, physical conditions, past surgeries, etc

For my doctors office, they allow about 15-30 minutes.  A basic quick check appt at our office is 15 minutes though, so our doctors allow more time that many practices.

My experience is that they do this so that if you do get sick, they can put you into a 15 minute appointment and don't need to spend the additional time collecting the basic information.  They also have a base line to go off of.  They have your current weight so they can know if you suddenly gain 15lbs in a month when you come back feeling sick, or if you blood pressure has sky rocketed or bottomed out.  It also gives them a chance to collect your medical records from previous doctors and to enter them into their system. 

I basically did this today. I did it today rather than two months ago because this month is when my levothyroxine prescription runs out and I'm due for blood work. So, I went in, let the dr. know that I was due for the bloodwork and that my previous doc was also looking closely at my cholesterol/triglycerides. She ordered bloodwork, wrote me a prescription, and that was that. i did have to fill out all the "new patient" paperwork beforehand, but otherwise it was no different than an appointment with the previous doctor would have been.

Thanks ladies.

The appointment is for one of my kids who has simply 'aged out' of the pediatrician, so maybe they'll just do weight & bp. 

I hope bloodwork isn't required.... between the stress of senior year and a recent three week vacation in which *many* huge burgers were eaten (and little exercise achieved), I'd be afraid of the results!! Our usual spring & summer diet of salads has been sorely lacking this summer. Ugh.

It's really worth going ahead.

I thought I was doing rather good lately since I've been able to avoid the doctor, but when I tried to call to get in to see mine, I found out I was just on the verge of no longer being an established patient. I'm so glad I didn't wait any longer. I couldn't get into the doctor I wanted to see, but at least I'll get to see his assistant, which means I'll still be considered active and will be able to get in when I need to.

The very worst is having an urgent medical issue that will require multiple visits and not be able to get in to the only doctor your insurance authorizes you to see.

We had to do this after we moved. The doctor collected a very detailed family health history and personal health information. He also ran numerous standard tests. The appointment took about 45 minutes. The doctors here won't see you as a new patient if you are sick -only when you are well. So, you must go to their get-established-as-a-new-patient appointment before they will see you for any complaint.