Menu

Changing dominance with broken arm?

TexasRachel

DS6 broke his right arm 2 months ago. He was right handed, but handled it like a pro. He did pretty well using his left hand, but now that the cast is finally off he still doesn't want to use his right hand. We're in the beginning stages of writing so his left and right hand writing looks the same. Do I push for him to return to his right hand, let him use his left, encourage ambidextrous? Before this he most definitely was right handed, I just remember stories of my grandmother being forced into right handed writing.

Dd16 has had her right, dominant wrist in a splint for a year now. She has had to relearn writing, etc. There are advantages to being able to use both hands. Personally, I would encourage him to use both. You can get twice the writing done! He will probably tend towards his naturally dominant hand eventually.

My Ds was totally ambidextrous- I even sent him to pre k specifically to get guidance on this, and the teacher was just as flummoxed as I was. As we are all right, I made him right, too. Fast forward to age 11, he breaks his hand and suddenly, he is a lefty with no problems.

Perhaps he is a natural lefty forced (I prefer encouraged, lol) to be right, and so it isn't a problem? I'd say at 6 let him be. My Ds was 5 1/2 before I finally assigned a hand for writing, and obviously, I picked wrong. No harm in switching hands now, or giving him time To figure out which he wants to use.