Menu

So, who's started school?

We have been doing school lite this summer, since the arrival of the twins threw everything off schedule.  This week, Daddy has gone back to work (PS pre-planning) so we are getting back into the swing of things.  I;ve been using this time to test drive my new schedule.  I've gotten great ideas off the board, and am making adjustments as I go.  I'll start teaching piano again next week, so I need to find a workable schedule for my week.  We will officially start August 5th with our academic calendar, and follow the local school system's schedule of 6 weeks on, 1 week off, which I LOVE!  

We've been schooling year-round for about 5 yrs, but I told the kids that we are taking a break until late August.  Well, it's Week 2 and they're already asking to end the break.  They're bored and they miss school work.   :glare:  Ya' know...I need a break, too!  I'm not a homeschool robot.  I've been able to get all kinds of stuff done in the past week.  I decluttered the kids' bedrooms...I'm gonna clean out the garage...I was able to call my mom...I've been able to go on the internet...   :D  It's been nice not having to wade through those Singapore math workbooks and try to figure out what a subject complement is!

I think our break will end in about a week (or two).  I still have more curriculum/books to buy.  

We are on our third week and have our first week off starting tomorrow - surrounding the holiday weekend.  We will do about 5.5 weeks of school before the local school starts so we will have 5.5 weeks of additional breaks during the school year.

We started July 2. It's going pretty well, although we have not accomplished nearly what I thought we would. I underestimated two things: one, the stuff that *I* need/want to get done around the house before the baby arrives, and two, the lack of energy that *I* would have after we got home from a three-mornings-per-week tennis program. It was a great program, and the kids had a blast, plus it all counted as PE, so it wasn't a waste, but I was just too tired (and the kids were hot and tired as well, especially during the recent heat wave) to get much actual bookwork done with them. But that's okay. We've accomplished a lot of math and reading, and a few other things too. We'll continue to do what we can until we take a few weeks off to enjoy our new baby.

We start this coming Sunday. It'll be mostly independent work MWF because my externship is still going, and she starts her T-Th enrichment program next Thursday, so review in Latin, wrapping up a nearly finished Fred book, continuing her lit unit started in summer, spelling, finishing her MM placement assessments, and introducing her new routine and curricula for typing, geography, reading, and penmanship. We won't hit Math, Latin, or Grammar hard until I'm done with the externship, as those are not areas in which she is independent.

My oldest two were in pas last year (just for one year) so we took the month of June off before getting back into the swingof things. Previous years we've always gone year round with about a month or so off early in the summer and then an easier summer term before a full rotation of subjects starting sometime in September. We also use a 5/2/5/3 rotation to match dh's work schedule so we have a three day weekend every other week and we took a week off in the middle of July while ds went to College for Kids (summer camp at the local college).

So far things are going pretty well and the whining is only half what it was before ds went to the local ps. :0)

I would love to start now, but my DD has morning gymnastics practices for a couple more weeks.   We used to school year-round, but it's gotten difficult to work around all the activities and vacation time.  The PS kids don't go back until Sept. 3rd here which seems really late to me.  

It looks like we'll be starting on the 19th (gymnastics has a 2 week break before school starts).  I guess it will give me more time to do some de-cluttering and organizing.  

we never stopped. before I started hs'ing I summer schooled my kids during their school break. now that we're hs'ing we do a pared down version so that we have more time for important things like hanging out at the pool or the beach and other summer activities.

we do math, reading, a bit of journaling, some bible study and now that I just got a new grammar curriculum they've been wanting to start that too.

Our school district starts right after Labor Day but the Jewish Holidays pretty much take up all of September. I dont plan on adding in History or Science or even a formal writing program until after the holidays when we get re-settled, probably second week of October.

We school year round, but for content subjects we do a unit study during the summer and then a traditional school year of science and social studies. We wrapped up our summer project Friday 7/19 and took a week off with family.

Along with our new LA stuff, we started physical science and ancient history on Monday. Ds's Write at Home online composition course starts mid-Aug and we will start a new math program the first week of Sept. So, no composition for a few weeks. Ds is happy about the break. He is still going to the math tutor and doing Evan-Moor Daily Math, so it isn't a break from math. He just has a lighter math load until Sept.

The public schools in Nashville start today and the schools here start next week.

Mandy