Menu

Brainstorming time- swag bags

swellmomma

Our army cadet corps is hosting an activity during the firemen's challenge next april.  I am in charge of creating and filling about 200 swag bags for the participants.  Aside from asking local businesses for donations I would love additional items without using up a mortgage payment to do so.  Pintrest will likely be my friend through this, but for now I am asking for help brainstorming ideas.  Although the challenge is still 8 months away in order to make 200 good swag bags I need to start sooner rather than later to get them all done well.  So if you were going to fill bags like this for 200 firemen what would you include? If you have a family member that is a fireman, what would they enjoy finding in a swag bag that makes it a step up from just a plain bag of free advertising for businesses? What things would they appreciate to find that are homemade/inexpensive but would give it that extra wow factor to them?  My goal at the end of all this, aside from actually completing the task is to be known in the corps as the queen of swag bags lol

Batteries for the flashlights on their helmets.  Our dept doesn't provide the flashlights, the guys pay for them personally.  We are a volunteer dept.

Giftcard to take their significant other out for dinner.  Wait you said cheap and it is for the fire fighters not their SO's.

hmmm, I'll ask hubby when he's in from the field and has the wheat harvested.

An old friend of mine, retired cop, invented these gadgets: http://www.thejammerusa.com -- a metal hook that goes on a door hinge to prevent that door from closing behind police/fire/rescue workers & to mark an entrance or room. They sell on the website for $6 each, but you might be able to negotiate a volume discount if you explain your project. They have gotten a bunch of good press, and it would be something really different for your swag bags... with a little thought you could probably decorate ot tie them into a clever theme.

An old friend of mine, retired cop, invented these gadgets: http://www.thejammerusa.com -- a metal hook that goes on a door hinge to prevent that door from closing behind police/fire/rescue workers & to mark an entrance or room. They sell on the website for $6 each, but you might be able to negotiate a volume discount if you explain your project. They have gotten a bunch of good press, and it would be something really different for your swag bags... with a little thought you could probably decorate ot tie them into a clever theme.

That is awesome.  I will have to try negotiating with them for sure, It would certainly give them great advertising up here because I bet many have never heard of them.  Because yeah there is no way I can afford to buy 200 at retail value myself.

Small dark chocolate squares, bags of pretty tea, envelopes of instant coffee,

a fridge magnet with the name of your firefighter unit on it, one of those towel-things

that comes compressed and you wet it and it's a washcloth?

Carabiners?

That's what I would like to get if I got a bag.

What about Jerky or pepperoni?  I don't know if you can work it out, but maybe see if you can get a hunter to donate a deer, and discount on a butcher shop to cure it for you.  I assume that if a licensed butcher shop does the preserving, that you may be able to pass it out legally.  

If you live near the ocean, maybe try to procure donations of salmon for curing.  We have friends who love to fish and are happy to give away their excess.  Maybe try to make a connection with a charter fishing company to make trade fish= tie in for advertising. 

• 1 month later...

I wanted to thank you for this idea.  I have been in contact with jammer usa and they are going to write up a formal estimate of 40% off, based on buying a minimum of 100 packages.  So instead of costing me $1200 plus shipping, it will be $700! AND it looks like I will likely be receiving some cash donations specifically for purchasing items like these.  My dad is president of a community service group and when I told him what I was doing and what I wanted to order I have been told to submit a request in writing to his club, the sister club and the neighboring club asking each for a cash donation, which will give me enough if they all agree to it, to order these in.  So glad I am starting early in my planning of these so I have time to work out these sorts of deals.  I am so excited.  I am going to the title of Queen Bag Lady when this is all said and done.  I want my swag bags to be what they talk about all year leading up to the next challenge.