Menu

The latest Well Planned Day Software- Looking for opinions please

I am considering the My Well Planned Day software instead of the paper planner. It looks and sounds wonderful! But I know they had some glitches and issues with the Beta version. I can't seem to find any recent reviews good or bad. Anyone use it lately, what are your opinions?
Thanks!

No one who is using the program has any new information since about Thanksgiving last year. There was a general ad for it in an email from the company, but they have not contacted any of the current customers who have been waiting for information.

Well, I'll say that they do a decent job of online marketing.  If you were to search for reviews for the planner, almost all of what you'd find would be positive reviews from when the program was first released talking about how great it will be when it's done.

The current release was originally slated for spring, then summer, then definitely July, and now some time in August.  They switched to the current development team before Christmas.  They've made vague accusations suggesting the former team "defrauded" them and that other companies are stealing their ideas, but the majority of the complaints have been about the poor communication between the company and customers.  

A lot of time (and probably money) has gone into shining up other HEDUA projects, but where is the program that many paying customers have been waiting on? It's frustrating. And none of us have even seen this sparkly new design that we've been waiting on for more than half a year.

I got an email or saw on Facebook a few days ago that it has been redone. But I think the release is coming in Aug? Ugh, I don't remember what I read...

Why am I having deja vu?

Why am I having deja vu?

Lol! I saw another ad that said the same thing for Aug. *2012*. In fact, it's STILL on their current homepage. Why hasn't that been updated?

I'm not impressed. I want an online planner, though, so I keep looking at their pretty webpage. Their ads catch my eye.

The beta was worthless and the company should be ashamed of itself for putting it out there prematurely. Everyone's money should have been refunded. I mean, what a waste of time and energy! People paid a pretty penny to try it out with the promise of a discount for the second year. My guess is that the second year might be more in line with what should have been offered in the beta last year. At any rate, I personally won't give them another dime. I honestly don't trust them to update and maintain the planner in an efficient way. Not much respect for the customer, but a shiny product. Shiny talk too, but shoddy stuff.

The new version is completely new and not released yet. No one knows how it compares to last year's incomplete release.

I agree, but that's not relevant to me. I bought last July mostly because of the promise of a discount this year. That and it was just so pretty. And the way they described its functionality. Functionality. Snort. This blog post pretty much sums up my experience: http://crystalstarrblog.com/2013/01/a-negative-review-of-the-my-well-planned-day-software/ .

The product was worse than worthless; it took without giving! Now they are running up to a new release and I have never seen any acknowledgement of the fact that they wasted people's time and money (a particularly egregious and ironic offense for a product made to streamline people's lives). Honestly, I got ZERO value for my money last year, so I am irate about them rolling it out again like it is all brand new and fabulous without any apology or explanation. Or gosh, I get why they would want to be hush hush about their disastrous beta, but for Pete's sake, why not e-mail those who signed up last year and offer a free year to those who bought in (and supported the start-up!) but got no benefit?

So, yeah, we don't know what the new product looks like, but we do know a little something about the morals and business sense of the people running that show.

I agree, but that's not relevant to me. I bought last July mostly because of the promise of a discount this year. That and it was just so pretty. And the way they described its functionality. Functionality. Snort. This blog post pretty much sums up my experience: http://crystalstarrblog.com/2013/01/a-negative-review-of-the-my-well-planned-day-software/ .

The product was worse than worthless; it took without giving! Now they are running up to a new release and I have never seen any acknowledgement of the fact that they wasted people's time and money (a particularly egregious and ironic offense for a product made to streamline people's lives). Honestly, I got ZERO value for my money last year, so I am irate about them rolling it out again like it is all brand new and fabulous without any apology or explanation. Or gosh, I get why they would want to be hush hush about their disastrous beta, but for Pete's sake, why not e-mail those who signed up last year and offer a free year to those who bought in (and supported the start-up!) but got no benefit?

So, yeah, we don't know what the new product looks like, but we do know a little something about the morals and business sense of the people running that show.

They are extending current customers for another year without additional charge.

They are extending current customers for another year without additional charge.

:lol: How kind of you to let me know. :lol:

Really, thank you for this. I had no idea—despite not having changed my e-mail address since last year when I purchased. That's part of the problem, of course, the lack of communication. But sincerely, it is good to know.

:lol: How kind of you to let me know. :lol:

Really, thank you for this. I had no idea—despite not having changed my e-mail address since last year when I purchased. That's part of the problem, of course, the lack of communication. But sincerely, it is good to know.

I am pretty sure they emailed everyone in March maybe saying that subscriptions would be extended, but the lack of communication is definitely a problem. I have been using the working components: calendar, lesson plans, assignment printouts. I am about to start my new school year and so have emailed a couple times for more information. I really hope the new version is good or at least didn't do away with the aspects I like. 

FYI, Homeschool Buyer's Coop has something very similar, that seems to actually work.

I got the free trial and it is very nice, with cool features. But it doesn't let me enter in/track books/resources. So I'm back to homeschool tracker.

Glad to see someone else having my exact thoughts on the software. A huge disappointment here as well after all that advertising hoopla. Makes me appreciate scholaric and skedtrack all the more for relative ease of use and the really prompt email assistance from scholaric's founder. Gave HS Planet a whirl and although it is much easier to use than WPD, I can't get the kind of reports I want. So I'm going back to paper and pen again.

I don't know if you guys have seen the link below but it's quite good for anyone with a beginner to intermediate level of experience with Excel. Simple, to the point. You can enter plans for up to 12 subjects (maybe more if you know how to program in Excel?) for 36 weeks (again, maybe more if you know how to play with the program) then just key in the week number into the Print Off Week sheet and everything is automatically laid out for you. Best of all, it's free (but I paid a donation to thank the creator). No reports or anything like that but the ones I need are specialized anyway and I don't know if any online planner can do that.

EvangelismStuff.com/lesson_planner

Glad to see someone else having my exact thoughts on the software. A huge disappointment here as well after all that advertising hoopla. Makes me appreciate scholaric and skedtrack all the more for relative ease of use and the really prompt email assistance from scholaric's founder. Gave HS Planet a whirl and although it is much easier to use than WPD, I can't get the kind of reports I want. So I'm going back to paper and pen again.

I don't know if you guys have seen the link below but it's quite good for anyone with a beginner to intermediate level of experience with Excel. Simple, to the point. You can enter plans for up to 12 subjects (maybe more if you know how to program in Excel?) for 36 weeks (again, maybe more if you know how to play with the program) then just key in the week number into the Print Off Week sheet and everything is automatically laid out for you. Best of all, it's free (but I paid a donation to thank the creator). No reports or anything like that but the ones I need are specialized anyway and I don't know if any online planner can do that.

EvangelismStuff.com/lesson_planner

You've probably already tried it, but if not, have you tried HST plus? It has TONS of reports...that's the main reason I'm going back to it. I also love that I can print the week's assignments in a grid format, so if he wants to do a day of all one subject he can. He likes it too. Plus I have all sorts of ways to print out resources used, etc.

Katie, I love HST plus! It's amazing provided I can get over the learning curve. I've had it for 2 years now and still can't make it work for us. It's not that it's a poor fit for us. I think we are a poor fit for it lol. I am having difficulty lesson planning in advance with all these software. What works better here is record-keeping vs. lesson planning. So I could input all the lessons DS is supposed to be doing but it won't work because of the way he learns (compacting/ jumping several lessons because they are too easy/ or his math tutor changes track every few weeks due to some cool bunny trail, we decide to take weeks off for spontaneous learning etc). All the clicking and changing I have to do is a big headache. It's better to just have a rough list penciled into his homemade planner, then write in what he actually does after the fact. There's probably something in HST+ that I could tweak to fit these requirements but I haven't had time to explore it to that extent yet.

HS Planet comes close to being what I want but still it is too expensive. That's why I don't think there's anything out there for us yet. Pen and paper and Excel give me so much more flexibility for now.

Another thing I am playing around with is to create a form on Google and have DS fill it in every evening/ end of the week. Google then automatically saves his answers in a spreadsheet. All he has to do is develop a habit completing the form according to what he has written in his planner (a work in progress). Then I can print it out for report purposes.

I paid for it last year and never got to use it as it was a mess.  I also have not changed my email and did not find out until poking around and questioning if anyone stuck out their promises of updates....that lo and behold...I should get this year free.  I have logged on and fiddled around with it some.  I don't want to play with it too much since a new interface is coming.  I was able to set up log ins for each of my 4 kids last night.  I set up curriculum, literature, and some very bare bones lesson plans.  It seemed to work fine.  I added events to the calendar with ease.  

If I am getting an extra free year then I am going to see what it will do.  

• 3 weeks later...

I was told less than 2 weeks ago the COMPLETELY NEW, COMPLETELY REVISED software would be available in "about 2 weeks". They have been testing it on friends and family, to avoid what happened last time. He said they have been intentionally quiet about it, for the same reason, and it's all supposed to be announced soon. Hopefully it truly is great. Just FYI.