Menu

Update on dog

I posted here http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/480745-at-what-point-do-you-get-rid-of-the-dog/

about our dog and thought an update was needed.

After talking things over with a vet, we decided to try re-homing first or at least look into it. The Animal Shelter here does re-homing and that is who the vet recommended. However after talking with the lady in charge she feels the dog is not a candidate for re-homing and thinks the dog might have dementia. Tomorrow we go to have the dog put to sleep.  The children understand and are not showing any over the top feelings about this. They are upset but both understand it is best for our family and the dog.

I will say I was glad to talk with the lady from the re-homing section of animal control. She shed some light on normal behavior and what was not normal behavior with our dog. She made me feel better about the choice I have made to put Bella down and that having this dog for 7 yrs means we have tried to make it work. Also with the increase in aggression we need to take action now before it is a very big problem later. Just last night she snapped at me because I wanted her in her room (a neighbor was knocking on the door and Bella was viciously barking).

We have great pictures of the dog with the kids plus video of her playing in the snow and with her new toys at Christmas. She has been our pet for the past seven years and will be missed.