Menu

high school economics

I really like Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell.  There are several editions.  The 1st edition is shortest, but I know there are study questions in the back of the 3rd edition.

Sowell does come from an Austrian perspective, but I didn't find the presentation to be insulting.  YMMV, I think economics is a topic to which people bring many presumptions.

I really like Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell. There are several editions. The 1st edition is shortest, but I know there are study questions in the back of the 3rd edition.

Sowell does come from an Austrian perspective, but I didn't find the presentation to be insulting. YMMV, I think economics is a topic to which people bring many presumptions.

I'm reading this right now and I think it is a great book. The author has a lot of discussion questions on his website with what page of the book the answer is on.

I am thinking of doing Economics for Everybody as well, but instead of using their recommended text (Basic Economics by Clarence Carson), using Thomas Sowell's book.   Not sure if I want to try to match up chapters to do together, or just read Sowell after doing the Sproul course.  

I've also requested the Taylor course mentioned above from the library to check out. 

Right now Compass Classroom as a discount on Economics for Everybody. You can also view the first two lessons. 

• 4 weeks later...

Marbel, 

What did you decide to use?  I'm thinking of having ds work through Economics for Everybody in a co-op setting, but we'd like to flesh it out a bit.  We thought of using Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?, but we're just not sure.  We noticed that EfE refers to Basic Economics, but we aren't sure about the Carson book, and we wouldn't like to spend $35 to find  that we dislike it.

We looked through the Sowell book, and it looks good, but we'd have to carefully go through and match up the pages/concepts.

Marbel, 

What did you decide to use?  I'm thinking of having ds work through Economics for Everybody in a co-op setting, but we'd like to flesh it out a bit.  We thought of using Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?, but we're just not sure.  We noticed that EfE refers to Basic Economics, but we aren't sure about the Carson book, and we wouldn't like to spend $35 to find  that we dislike it.

We looked through the Sowell book, and it looks good, but we'd have to carefully go through and match up the pages/concepts.

We ended up starting Economics for Everybody.  We like it, so far.  Well, one child likes it, one finds it tolerable. ;)   After we finish it, we'll go through Sowell's book.  I didn't have the energy to key the two books together, so we'll just do one after the other.  

I have had Whatever Happened to Penny Candy from the library, but there is something about the tone of the book I just don't like.

I really like Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell.  There are several editions.  The 1st edition is shortest, but I know there are study questions in the back of the 3rd edition.

Sowell does come from an Austrian perspective, but I didn't find the presentation to be insulting.  YMMV, I think economics is a topic to which people bring many presumptions.

I'm also doing this right now and enjoying it.