Menu

A list of minor problems and a tight

I would read Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shaywitz also, and Dyslexic Advantage by the same author as Mislabelled Child.

It might not be the right thing but I think it is worth looking at.

If you want to try a reading program for dyslexia there are a lot of options and often kids will thrive with them :)

I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much at your kids ages.  I am not in the camp of waiting until a child is 10 before worrying about their reading, but 4 is really young to be worrying about it.

For your daughter, she should still be at the level of reading where the fonts are larger.  That is perfectly normal.  You could try having her put a bookmark below (or above) the line she is reading to see if that helps her keep her place.  As far as following directions and listening skills, we really like the HearBuilder software for that.  You can find it here .  We have the auditory memory one, but there is a following directions one and sequencing and even a following directions workbook.  Not the cheapest around, but definitely less than therapy.

For my DD, we have noticed the most progress this past year (at age 9) mainly because of consistency.  I work with her on one area of struggle at a time over and over and over again.  We have done therapy things in the past, but our main progress has been because of our own one-on-one work.

One thing to keep in mind is that any given issue or trait has a range of severity, and that many children can develop coping strategies to make up for mild deficits. The key is to make sure those strategies don't mask issues that eventually will be serious enough that the strategies fail. This often happens with reading in dyslexia. The public school system here told us in third grade that they don't intervene unless a child falls 3 grade levels behind in an area.

What you are doing now--giving extra help to ensure whatever the specific challenges are don't leave her behind--is the right thing to do.

They won't diagnose some things so young. There's a realm of normal, and you may need to read some books on gender rather than just about problems. Your ped is your first line for this stuff. A basic vision exam with a dev opt could eliminate that question.

Your ped is your first line for this stuff..

From my experience, the ped is the worse place to go. Maybe I have just managed to select three idiot pediatricians. Having a middle school age child diagnosed with cerebral palsy has left me a bit jaded about that field, especially after my latest attempt at finding a ped. I kid you not, he said, "CP? as long as the child is happy and well adjusted, i wouldn't have referred to a neurologist." Unbelievable! I will post a full summary of our journey once I find time and energy.

In the meantime, OP, I would follow your gut feeling.

I agree with the suggestion to read the book Overcoming Dyslexia.  Dyslexia can be at the root of all of the symptoms you mentioned.  Once you read the book, try viewing your children through that lens for a while to see if it fits.  If it does, and you still want an evaluation, find an evaluator with a professional interest in and extensive experience with dyslexia.  If you also suspect giftedness, find an evaluator who has extensive experience diagnosing dyslexia and giftedness together.

OT, VT, interventions for auditory processing problems, and ADHD meds can help even if the underlying issue is dyslexia.

You might want to start with an OT as they can often also screen for vision and auditory issues.

VT for those who need it can be very powerful, but, as I'm sure you're aware, it's also very expensive.

ADHD can be diagnosed by your child's doctor and many of the meds are inexpensive.  But I'd wait on this because your children are so young.

Auditory processing evaluations are expensive and the treatment can be quite expensive.  I'd try Earobics first.

• 2 weeks later...

What do your daughter's teachers think? Does her school think she has a problem? The types of things you mention are matters of degree.

There is a reason they don't evaluate for dyslexia at four. Four-year-olds are all over the map. They're unreliable performers at the best of times. It's very common for a child to be able to make the letter sounds but not take off in reading for another year or more. It's very common for boys in particular to take their sweet time on developing fine motor skills.