Menu

S/O Dining table-- Placemats?

Miss Peregrine

Depends on who's being served at the table and what kind of placemats you're using. For kids and plastic placemats, they can make cleaning up the occasional mess a little easier, but with adults or cloth (or bamboo, or whatever) placemats, they just add some visual appeal to the table. You would only use them for casual dining, however. Placemats would look out-of-place at a formal table.

For example, I have a set  of plastic placemats I use when I have other kids at the house (other than my son, that is) because sometimes they make messes and it makes things easier to clean up. I also have several sets of nicer placemats I use for holidays or when we have guests when I want to dress up the table a little bit, but not go all our with the good china and formal place settings (for those I use a tablecloth instead of placemats).

We have a nice table, unfinished cherry. If there's no tablecloth (and there usually isn't), we use placemats. They protect the table from water rings and let you not rest all your utensils on your plate. Ours nice and thick, made of pencil thick strands of light coloured cotton that can be thrown in the washing machine in any load without worry.

A tablecloth can be easily pulled off-center (either accidentally or on purpose). 

Sometimes kids are messy, yet old enough where you can't convince them to wear a bib. I have a 10 year old who is a terrible rice eater. Hoo-boy. He doesn't really make a wet mess. Its more crumby mess. 

I pull out the placemats when I don't trust them to keep the tablecloth centered and I know it might be a crumby mess. I can flip the food into the sink and wash them. Easy clean up. I also enjoy the contrasting color on the table. They give a pop of color to everything. 

It's hard to find nice fabric placemats in stores these days.  Most of them look like they would be destroyed in the washer/dryer.  If a placemat isn't extremely sturdy and easily washable, I won't buy it.

I use wipe-off laminated placemats for breakfast and lunch (I bought adorable Peter Cottontail placemats at the Thornton Burgess gift shop in Massachusetts years ago, and we still have them), and quilted placemats from Williams-Sonoma ( http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/vine-floral-boutis-place-mats/?pkey=ctable-linen-place-mat& ) for dinner.

The purpose is to protect the table from water rings (as a coaster would), heat damage, spills. They also look nice.

I have several sets of fabric placemats that simply go in the washing machine; I do not see why this would be much work.

Water rings from glasses damage a wooden surface really quickly.

I love placemats.  We use them atop a table cloth, even.

We have an assortment of cloth placemats, plus a few "decorative" ones my daughter made and laminated for the younger kids. 

I always thought placemats made it EASIER to clean the table :lol:

Funny how different we all are!

I love the look of placemats for casual dinners, but I can't bring myself to use them anymore.  My dd and dh are such messy eaters I have to wash them after each and every meal, and it's so much easier just to wipe down the table.  Plus, dd seems to spill her water twice as much with them.  I'm not sure why.