Menu

Are there any jobs working with abused/neglected/needy children that doesn't require a degree?

ChristusG

I'm asking for someone that I know. They have a heart for working kids who need love....abused, abandoned, neglected, etc. They have some college but a degree is just not in the picture right now. Are there any jobs available in this type of field without having a degree? Maybe just training or something? I thought that maybe someone here may have some ideas since I was coming up blank.

Yes. My sister worked at a shelter run by Catholic Children's Services for years. She hasn't got a degree, just a G.E.D. and heart for the work (having been a resident of that same shelter before becoming part of our family).

There's also foster parenting--though foster/adopt is the preferred model, there are also emergency, respite, and therapeutic foster parents.

No. It was a faith-based nonprofit, but like many such worked to take care of children in state care.

Many workers need training but not a degree. Positions with "aide" in the title are a good place to start.

ETA: a background check/fingerprinting are also going to be necessary.

Well, this job may not put her working with children directly, but (sadly) a legal advocate or paralegal at a not-for-profit legal service center will spend the vast majority of his or her time helping women and their children get out of abusive relationships/households/marriages. In some states you do have to have a degree to work in this capacity, but in some you do not.

. Positions with "aide" in the title are a good place to start.

ETA: a background check/fingerprinting are also going to be necessary.

This. The pay will not be great. But if she eventually wants to go back to school for a degree, the experience will be helpful.

Another thought is that some Family Courthouses have child care centers, where the children stay while their parent(s) have their court dates. My best friend is the co-ordinator/director at the one in my city. That might be a decent place to look for a child care position.