Menu

New York Review Children's Collection Books - Favorites?

I don't know much about this collection of books. Are they typically out of print books that they love and reprint in their own format?

We have had Jenny Linsky and the Cat Club for a while and just started really reading last night. We love it! Now I'm wondering if there are other books we need to get from this particular collection.

http://www.amazon.com/Jenny-Cat-Club-Collection-Childrens/dp/1590170474/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373488956&sr=8-1&keywords=jenny+linsky

(and now I see there are other Jenny Linsky books, but it looks like they only have one story each while the one I bought has 5 stories, making it a decent value).

Favorites?

I read Wolf Story aloud to my kids earlier this year and we all loved it! That's the only one from those I'm familiar with.

I'll second this - we loved Wolf Story!

We also love Wee Gillis, 13 Clocks, D'Aulaires Book of Animals, and D'Aulaires Book of Trolls. I've got several others on our to-read list.

Some of the Jenny Linsky books are one story and some are longer.   I've have been slowly reading them to my younger DD because she LOVES "The Fire Cat" and wanted more stories about Pickles.  DD has checked them out of the library many times even though we have only read a few stories in some of the books LOL!

1 short story -

School for Cats

Jenny's Moonlight Adventure

Jenny's Birthday book

Longer-

Jenny and the Cat Club

The Hotel Cat

Jenny Goes to Sea

Captains of the City Streets

Of the rest NY Review collection I have only read Carbonel: The King of Cats  which I liked and The Rescuers which was "eh" ( although many love it) - neither of these has been read/listened to by either child yet.

Some of the Jenny Linsky books are one story and some are longer.   I've have been slowly reading them to my younger DD because she LOVES "The Fire Cat" and wanted more stories about Pickles.  DD has checked them out of the library many times even though we have only read a few stories in some of the books LOL!

Kind of a funny aside. One night my husband joked he wished we'd called our cat Mrs. Pickles (we're always coming up with alternate names for her). The next morning, we started reading about Pickles, Jenny Linskey's friend. It was such a funny coincidence!

Yay, other people who love Jenny Linsky!  We have all of those.

I also love Eleanor Farjeon's The Little Bookroom. 

The Thirteen Clocks is a great book.

Charlotte Sometimes

The House of Arden

The Bear That Wasn't

Lizard Music

Mistress Masham's Repose

These are all books we have read and enjoyed, though not in those particular editions.

It looks like they're just re-publishing books that have been out of print for a long time, that are really good.  Honestly most of them look like good bets.

We love all the Jenny books!

I always planned to get a shy black kitten for my next cat and name her Jenny. When the time came, our vet said we should get a male cat to go with our two female cats. Although I was a little disappointed, I found a sweet, black male cat at the shelter and fell in love! I named him BENNY Linsky. He's Jenny's cousin who was born on the streets. He made a few bad choices and spent some time in jail. He even has a prison tattoo as a memento of his time in the slammer. He's pretty awesome...and the most loving, affectionate cat I have ever had. I love the NY Review books so much that I made his adoption announcement look like the cover of the reissue of Jenny and the Cat Club.

All of the Palmer Brown books are very good, too.

We love all our NYRCC books.

Here are our favourites.

Terrible, Horrible Edie (would love the other ones of these, NYRCC will publish it if they get enough requests for it.
Uncle
Uncle Cleans Up
The Midnight Folk
The Box of Delights Sequel to The Midnight Folk
13 Clocks
The House of Arden