Menu

Apolgia Physical Science.....it came today and I feel like

throwing in the towel before ever getting started. It's for my 8th grade daughter. It looks overwhelming to me and the experiments seem to require items I do not have and time I don't have either. I hate this part of science....truly hate it. I know it's the wrong attitude to have, but as I stare at my pile of books and curriculum that need my attention and planning for my four children (8th grade down to preschool), this science book just seems.....uggg. Tell me how you all made the most of this book. I'm just afraid that if I feel like this now, that this book will be abandoned on my shelf or half-done by my daughter on her own. I have Apologia Zoology 2 I will also be teaching to my younger ones.

My oldest did Apologia General with a co-op group last year and it was great. She did all the reading and questions independently, the co-op just administered tests and did the labs, which were very simple (at least compared to BJU). I would really have preferred to stay with Apologia, but some of the other parents found it too "chatty", so we went with BJU this year. My dd, on the other hand, loved it. I found the text to be pretty engaging. However, I think Physical Science can be a pretty boring year regardless of curriculum used, but that's just me, and you can't really get around it anyway.

If I was going to do it totally at home, I would buy one of the lab kits from:

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/product_categories/45/products/2476-physical-science---science-kit

It has everything you need, and it is cheap.

I felt this way about Apologia from the first. It was very "chatty" to me, and I found reading it out loud to my son was very painful for me. However, at this level - Physical Science - my son took it over. I did read a chapter or so to him when he was bogged down with other reading, but mostly, he did this 8th year on his own.

That all being said, I searched for the perfect Biology book, and I finally decided on Apologia because he seems to get it and can do it on his own. I am following this pattern with my dd this year. I have ordered the companion CD for her since she is more visual. My son is doing Physics this year and liking it so far - only one week into it. I will out source Chemistry next year since I don't want any of those chemicals in my house, and he qualifies for free tuition at the local community college and they have an excellent Christian teacher there.

Let your child work on it and see how it goes. Maybe, you could just jump in on the interesting things to you or when the child needs help.

Good luck

ReneeR

You could do what I did.

1. Purchase the Sonlight schedule

2. Buy the experiment kit from Home Science Tools.

3. Have darling child do the work on their own following the schedule above. Check in once a week or so for review and testing.

I love Sonlight's regular schedule for our read-alouds and history. I didn't realize they had this schedule as well. So did you really find it that useful? I ordered that kit last year when she did general science. I should have ordered it again. I just didn't feel that we got around to the experiments enough to warrant spending the money, but I'm quickly realizing that if we are going to even attempt to do this right, that I need to buy it. Maybe when I'm not as overwhelmed (with so much new stuff this year), I'll be able to get my head around this in a more positive light.

Thank you both for your input.

throwing in the towel before ever getting started. It's for my 8th grade daughter. It looks overwhelming to me and the experiments seem to require items I do not have and time I don't have either. I hate this part of science....truly hate it. I know it's the wrong attitude to have, but as I stare at my pile of books and curriculum that need my attention and planning for my four children (8th grade down to preschool), this science book just seems.....uggg.

I just posted on the high school board and asked how much time students generally put into this. I'd rather not focus so much time on science every day, but the text seems demanding, moreso than General Science. Did your daughter use General Science? If so, she can likely work independently, for the most part. Having a schedule a helps; I prefer the one from Sonlight. I also use Sonlight's supply kits. Those two things ~ having a schedule and supplies on hand ~ go a long way toward easing the burden. I am not particularly interested in Physical Science myself; my husband and I both gravitate toward Life Sciences and the same is true of all my boys. I see this year as a necessary building block, though, and a step toward something more interesting (to us).

I just posted on the High School Board in reply to Colleen. Are you lamenting for your dd or you? ;)

Take a deep breath. High school, for us, has been a little more daunting each year. There are texts, not library books; lab experiments, not notebooking; writing assignments that require lots of time and energy to teach and read and revise and re-write. It really is a lot more than the sweet elementary years.

HOWEVER, for the most part, your dd should be able to work through Physical Science with a detailed schedule, your supervision and accountability. When my oldest hit Apologia General Science, I had him *perform* the experiment for all of us, explaining to the youngers the question, process and conclusion. He liked the platform, I enjoyed his independence.

HTH,

Lisa

I just posted on the High School Board in reply to Colleen. Are you lamenting for your dd or you? ;)

Take a deep breath. High school, for us, has been a little more daunting each year. There are texts, not library books; lab experiments, not notebooking; writing assignments that require lots of time and energy to teach and read and revise and re-write. It really is a lot more than the sweet elementary years.

HOWEVER, for the most part, your dd should be able to work through Physical Science with a detailed schedule, your supervision and accountability. When my oldest hit Apologia General Science, I had him *perform* the experiment for all of us, explaining to the youngers the question, process and conclusion. He liked the platform, I enjoyed his independence.

HTH,

Lisa

I think I'm definitely lamenting for me, but do have concerns for dd. She did work through General science last year. We had the cd version and she didn't care for it much. I felt like I had a little too much responsibility with other subjects, other children, my own art business, running my home, etc., so I neglected to check her work often. I just don't feel she puts as much effort into it when it's not checked more regularly. She requested the textbook this year, which I ordered. I guess part of it for me is that she is growing up, texts are more advanced, more work, less fun, etc. "I" need to get over it. It just seems daunting. Perhaps I have "beginning of the year blues"!:001_huh: I was much too much enjoying our free time this summer!

Colleen....I think I will order both of those from Sonlight. I think that would help. But I see that in the very first experiment that we need two pieces of insulated copper wire, which is not listed in the Sonlight kit. I wonder why? I'm just wishing for easy so that this actually gets done.... I know how this goes.....she comes to me needing something to do the experiment. I tell her OK, but forget. Days go by. I inquire if she is doing her science and she reminds me that we need such and such. ANYWAY, here's hoping for a better year.

Thanks again for your input!

Just a guess about the copper wire: the cost of copper has gone up soooooooo much that dead head crack addicts are killing themselves trying to steal the stuff from electric substations! Folks that are in the process of building homes are finding their wire missing before it is installed. Folks come home to copper plumming being stolen out of their houses. It's crazy! So there is a guess as to why the copper wire might not be in the kit. Now, do you have old christmas lights, or an old electronic something that you can check for copper wiring?

Trust me when I say that if you find Apologia overwelming it only gets worse! This is one of the most doable highschool sciences with labs that I personally know of. The others nearly require a full lab with protective gear, and the voleenteer fire dept on stand by! :lol:

In contrast, for 8th grade, we used "Reader's Digest: How Science Works" (physical science topics) as the spine, and supplemented with TOPS units and additional books from the library for hands-on and depth in areas of interest. That went over very well. : )

We finally had to make the switch to using a textbook for science this past year in 9th grade and did Apologia Biology. Ug. Too chatty. The lines of type are waaayyy toooo looonnnggg and you lose your place as you read across the page. Too few pictures. Not enough hands-on, and what there is, they've sucked the life out of by expecting boring reports. SO much writing with the review/study questions...

::sigh::

I think for the next son, we'll switch over to the Prentice Hall Biology textbook, and just use the Apologia as supplement for the Christian point of view. Thinking of possibly using the high school level of Rainbow Science for chemistry next year for the older son... I don't know if I can make myself use such a dry Apologia text again for a more abstract science. (: 0

BEST of luck, whether you end up using your Apologia Physical Science, or go with something else. Warm regards, Lori D.

I don't really have time to read all the posts. . .just kind of skimmed.

Once my kids hit Gen. Sci. I give them a schedule and let them go (I have schedules of the books up for free on my blog -- but for Gen. Sci and Physical Sci, I have the 1st edition books.)

My kids do start Gen Sci. later than most on this board (I don't start them till 8th grade), but I would think a 7th grader would be quite capable of following a schedule.

I'm available for discussion / help / labs, but they generally do the work on their own. I'm actually amazed at the conversations that come up from their studies.

Trust me when I say that if you find Apologia overwelming it only gets worse! This is one of the most doable highschool sciences with labs that I personally know of. The others nearly require a full lab with protective gear, and the voleenteer fire dept on stand by! :lol:

I know you're right. People like Jen and me just need to get over this "hump" ~ the shift from schooling children to schooling young adults. What seems daunting to us now may seem like old hat later. Nonetheless, it's not very encouraging to hear that it only gets worse.

I guess part of it for me is that she is growing up, texts are more advanced, more work, less fun, etc. "I" need to get over it. It just seems daunting.

I hear you! I do have to say that I was super impressed at how my son progressed with General Science. He began the course as a 6th grader and there was a definite learning curve as far as developing independent study skills. By the end of the course, he managed so well. He's a great independent worker ~ and he's far more competent in science than I. (Not that that's saying much.:tongue_smilie:)

Colleen....I think I will order both of those from Sonlight. I think that would help. But I see that in the very first experiment that we need two pieces of insulated copper wire, which is not listed in the Sonlight kit. I wonder why?

There are two kits used during each year of SL science. One is the non-consumable supplies kit, used at each level. The other is course-specific ~ in this case, the Science 150 supply kit. I was looking over the list of necessary supplies last night and I feel confident that between these two kits, very little will be required on my part. The one supply that's not provided and is actually the most unusual for me is a 2-liter plastic bottle, since we never drink anything that's packaged like that.:)

There are two kits used during each year of SL science. One is the non-consumable supplies kit, used at each level. The other is course-specific ~ in this case, the Science 150 supply kit. I was looking over the list of necessary supplies last night and I feel confident that between these two kits, very little will be required on my part. The one supply that's not provided and is actually the most unusual for me is a 2-liter plastic bottle, since we never drink anything that's packaged like that.:)

Ohhhh....I was only looking at the 150 supply kit. I didn't know that there would be two supply kits. Thanks for the clarification. This will be the 2nd time I've had to order something from Sonlight since my initial big order with free shipping. I detest paying for shipping because I've forgotten something again! Oh well.:001_rolleyes: I know the supply list and especially the schedule will help. It will also give me time to adjust to our other new programs before diving into this science.

Thanks ProudMama for the link. I'll check it out before placing my Sonlight order. It's always a good thing to have options!:001_smile:

I know you're right. People like Jen and me just need to get over this "hump" ~ the shift from schooling children to schooling young adults. What seems daunting to us now may seem like old hat later. Nonetheless, it's not very encouraging to hear that it only gets worse.

I do apologize! I really didn't mean to be discouraging. Really. What I meant by getting worse is that other lab sciences by other publishers require more dangerous and harder to get supplies. I didn't mean that the science itself gets worse. Really, I am very sorry!

Let me add that where you guys may have been through K and 1st I have not. I was not blessed to hs my oldest 3 from the start. My point? I know what *new hat* is like as I am preparing to school my lo. Researching curriculum can be daunting, and sometimes what you get is not what you expect or can handle. I know what it is like and I really would not want to discourage a person. So, please forgive my poor attempt at a joke about having the fd on stand-by.

I do apologize! I really didn't mean to be discouraging. Really. What I meant by getting worse is that other lab sciences by other publishers require more dangerous and harder to get supplies. I didn't mean that the science itself gets worse. Really, I am very sorry!

Let me add that where you guys may have been through K and 1st I have not. I was not blessed to hs my oldest 3 from the start. My point? I know what *new hat* is like as I am preparing to school my lo. Researching curriculum can be daunting, and sometimes what you get is not what you expect or can handle. I know what it is like and I really would not want to discourage a person. So, please forgive my poor attempt at a joke about having the fd on stand-by.

Susie.....I completely understand! It's so easy to type one thing and mean another on these message boards. I've appreciated all the feedback as sometimes it's a little reality check for me.:)

:grouphug:

I hate this part of science....truly hate it.

I don't hate it...but we've not paid great attention to experiments before now, and this was the year that I determined it needed to be seriously considered. (We're doing Phys. Sci in ninth grade, and I want them to be comfortable with the formats of experiments and lab reports before Biology).

So, think of how excited I was to find out that our science museum's homeschool lab for ninth graders was...Physical Science! Hooray! How serendipitous!

And then it changed.

Now, I'm facing managing experiments, after being psyched up to not do it, lol.

I use the Donna Young lesson plans already, and so now I'm looking at getting one of the kits that really, TRULY has all the supplies in it. (I can't stand it when I shell out bucks for something that purports to have the components needed, only to find that they assume that you have certain 'household items'. Like alum. And a tin pie plate. Or a wooden spool. From Mars.)

The kids put the daily lesson plans in their planners, and follow it through the week, with me going over what they've done with them either daily, or a couple times a week. (There may be weeks when it's once a week, too.) I'll get up to speed by going through the study guides with them, when I see them coming in my planner (daily lesson plans are in my planner, as well), and then we'll have a group discussion before the test. (I have two ninth graders).

We're allotting 30 minutes daily to science, and it seems to be working.

I'm also thinking of stealing the idea of having them 'perform' the experiments for the little guys. It will make it more fun, hopefully, and forestall the inevitable 'help' that is proffered when stuff like this is done.

But aside from that...I sympathize. As I said, I don't hate science, or even experiments, necessarily, it's just so...messy. And disruptive. I could talk about science with the kids till the cows come home...it's just those dang experiments.

Do you guys remember the home improvement commercials, where it shows something like a guy splayed on the roof, with paint slowly running past him, and you hear his voice-over; "I...am not a painter."

They should have one of me, furrowed brow, pulling all three Littles back from the table while the two older kids start a fire in a beaker, trying to simultaneously ask leading questions about the point of the experiment and yell, "Don't eat that!!", while you hear the voice over saying..."I...am not a laboratory scientist."

Hmm. I wouldn't agree that it gets worse. Harder, yes. More time consuming, in many ways. But worse? Not at all. There are just too many wonderful things about homeschooling the highschool years. Fortunately, we just have to take it one step at a time. Each year, we go a little deeper, expect a bit more, let go and let them do more.

It's kinda like my 3-yr-old waking from his nap. I hear him open the door and peek out. He closes it. A few minutes later, he peeks out again. After a couple of times, he comes out to me with a "Good morning, Mom :001_smile:." It's hard to leave the simple, easy world of naps and go to full-scale awake. ;) I feel his pain.

Lisa

did Apologia Chemistry last year, my middle daughter did Physical Science, and my youngest did the Apologia astronomy book for younger kids.

Have your dc work as independently as possible. Or, consider signing him/her up for The Potter's School. Also, Apologia sells an MP3 recording of the book being read aloud. I bought this for my oldest daughter with Biology last year, because there was so much memorization required. Even though she's a good reader, this helped her with memorization of terms, etc.

But, as much as possible, I would allow your dc to work independently. Check on his/her On Your Own questions, the questions at the end of the chapter. You might have to him him/her with the labwork, but make them do their own lab write-ups. Having them work as independently as possible will save your sanity, as the sheer volume of work which needs to be done in the high school years almost precludes you from being able to keep up with everything.

Good luck!

I really didn't mean to be discouraging. Really. What I meant by getting worse is that other lab sciences by other publishers require more dangerous and harder to get supplies. I didn't mean that the science itself gets worse. Really, I am very sorry!

Thanks for explaining, Susie. I myself apologize for making you feel you needed to apologize.:tongue_smilie: I understand better now what you meant. Apologia is more manageable than many other options, no question. I don't know yet that I can go in for turning my house into a full-blown chemical laboratory; that may very well be when I opt for outsourcing.;)

It's going to be interesting for you, homeschooling a little one for the first time. Interesting and fun!:)

Hmm. I wouldn't agree that it gets worse. Harder, yes. More time consuming, in many ways. But worse? Not at all.

I'm at a point right now wherein "harder and more time consuming" does actually sound worse.:001_huh: Or perhaps "overwhelming" is a more apt term. Fortunately we can ease into it with each year and get used to the water!:)

This will be the 2nd time I've had to order something from Sonlight since my initial big order with free shipping. I detest paying for shipping because I've forgotten something again!

Oh, that's a bummer! I buy complete SL cores and have the free shipping at all times, which is of course really nice. But I do think SL has pretty reasonable shipping so it shouldn't get you too much. I definitely think it'll be worth it in the long run.

Oh, that's a bummer! I buy complete SL cores and have the free shipping at all times, which is of course really nice. But I do think SL has pretty reasonable shipping so it shouldn't get you too much. I definitely think it'll be worth it in the long run.

I usually buy the cores too, but this year decided to "save money" by picking and choosing a bit more. That's how I ended up not getting something I really needed and having to pay shipping on a small order. I'll go back to buying the whole kit and caboodle next year!:lol:

Hi Jenn,

We no longer use Apologia, but my older 2 did. We very rarely did the experiments. We aren't really an experiment oriented family anyway, but my older boys would just roll their eyes and tell me that they already knew the outcome anyway, so why bother (of course these conversations took place after I had boiled red cabbage and had frozen the stuff in freezer bags. ;) )

The experiments are not make or break the course at this level. We don't get serious about experiments until biology. As far as scedules.....if you simply go from one On Your Own to the next, give 2 days for the study guide and studying, and one for the test, you will finish the text in 34-35 weeks.

One other source you might want to consider is Cyber Ed Plato (from Homeschool Buyers Coop) They have animated video representations of many of the same type experiments.

I don't hate it...but we've not paid great attention to experiments before now, and this was the year that I determined it needed to be seriously considered. (We're doing Phys. Sci in ninth grade, and I want them to be comfortable with the formats of experiments and lab reports before Biology).

I think that's a good idea. Like momof7 pointed out below, experiments and labs at this point aren't make-or-break, but it's a good means of encouraging them to be more involved in the subject.

Now, I'm facing managing experiments

I wouldn't say that. Your kids are old enough to work at it independently, so your involvement can be minimal.

I'm looking at getting one of the kits that really, TRULY has all the supplies in it. (I can't stand it when I shell out bucks for something that purports to have the components needed, only to find that they assume that you have certain 'household items'. Like alum. And a tin pie plate. Or a wooden spool. From Mars.)

I feel comfortable with Sonlight's kits, so I'd encourage you to take a look at those.

I don't hate science, or even experiments, necessarily, it's just so...messy. And disruptive. I could talk about science with the kids till the cows come home...it's just those dang experiments.

Disruptive is an apt description. The experiments at this level, I think, are so simple that messy isn't much of an issue ~ it wasn't with General Science, anyway. But even though Jan did most of the General Science experiments on his own (and he did skip a few), I just cringed when I saw him taking out the supply box. I'd think, "Oh, no. End of the homeschooling day. I'm ready for everyone to be done, school to be over, people to head outside and mess around...and here come the science supplies!"

Now, a good mother/teacher would of course ignore that feeling and encourage her son, "An experiment? Cool! What's on the agenda?" As opposed to my thinly-veiled suggestions, "Uh, hon. Maybe you should just do it tomorrow? Or, um, is that one really important, do you think?" Yes, indeedy, nothing like having your teacher actually discourage you from completing your work.:tongue_smilie:

Your kids are old enough to work at it independently, so your involvement can be minimal.

...managed experiments on their own, with Rainbow (which they did in seventh grade). Everything (and I mean, everything) came in a big box, and they just dug in and did it, although not every experiment (not even close, lol). They did pretty much the same with General Science (done last year), but again...not even close to all of them.

What I meant was that I at least want to know that it's working, when they do the experiments, and that they're getting what they need out of it, you know? Not that I have to stand there and watch, but...I just want this level of experimenting to be a little more...focused. ::Sigh::

Thanks for the recommend of the Sonlight kits. I had the one for General Science, and I'll likely go with them again.

I was just really looking forward to it being done out of the house, with someone else overseeing, lol.

I think there is a lot of value in having two kids do the experiments together, even if the younger one isn't doing the full course. It gives the other child a partner, making it more interesting and adding a little more motivation to actually complete the experiment. Some can involve everyone, like the weather tracking.

I made up some simple lab sheets for mine to fill out (a little more colorful and wider spacing than the ones on Donna Young's site), and also had them report back to me and give me the run-down on what happened with the experiment.

I'm afraid to even look in this year's science book, however. I've got my head in the sand, and it's staying there for at least another week.

I'm afraid to even look in this year's science book, however. I've got my head in the sand, and it's staying there for at least another week.

:lol: I understand! I'm actually relieved to have another week while I wait on my schedule and supplies to arrive. That book has been shoved aside for now! Maybe when I'm not so overwhelmed with the other new curriculum for this year, I'll have a better attitude when I take another look at it.:001_smile:

[quote name=Jill' date=' OK;437698

What I meant was that I at least want to know that it's working, when they do the experiments, and that they're getting what they need out of it, you know? Not that I have to stand there and watch, but...I just want this level of experimenting to be a little more...focused. ::Sigh::

I completely understand this! I know my daughter can and will work independently, but I have to be aware of how she's progressing. I tend to let too much time pass before I check on her work and this year, I'd like to have a better handle on that. It's just not as easy to grab my teacher book and check the answers now that she's in 8th grade! That part is much more time consuming now as I try to wade through her answers.

Guest wingchic96

My daughter used Apologia General Science, Chemistry and Physics. Chemistry was her favorite high school class ever. My son will be using the General Seicnce this year.

One of my favorite homeschooling websites is donnayoung.org. Donna is a homeschooling mom who over the years has come up with some INCREDIBLE schedules, forms, and calendars. She has a schedule for, I believe, every Apologia course from General Science on up. It is very similar to Sonlight's. It's free. It's in WORD format. She even has templates to use for the labs to put into a notebook. It's GREAT! Strongly recommend it for anyone using Apologia. Wish I'd have caught the thread before you purchased a schedule, but Sonlight is great too.

Donna has advice, templates, worksheets, etc for other courses too. Worth a looksee.

And as far as Apologia goes... It's written in a conversational style directly to the student. As long as you keep checking in with him, he should be able to do it pretty much on his own.

Hope this helps!