Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week twenty eight

Robin M

I finished Covenant Child by Terri Blackstock.  A little fluff for summer.  I'm starting Shadow in Serenity, also by Blackstock.  Also fluff.  I'm almost embarrassed to count them, but count them I shall.

On the up side, I got a call today that I won a gift card from my public library's summer reading program.  I think it's cool that there's an adult version, too!

I have got quite a few books going at the moment, so I thought, "What the heck. What's one more?" So I started Getting Stoned with Savages: A Trip Through the Islands of Fiji and Vanuatu, by J. Maarten Troost. So far, it has been very entertaining. My favorite quote so far:

"It was as if the sensory overload that is American life had somehow led to sensory deprivation, a gilded weariness, where everything is permitted and nothing appreciated."

I have got quite a few books going at the moment, so I thought, "What the heck. What's one more?" So I started Getting Stoned with Savages: A Trip Through the Islands of Fiji and Vanuatu, by J. Maarten Troost. So far, it has been very entertaining. My favorite quote so far:

"It was as if the sensory overload that is American life had somehow led to sensory deprivation, a gilded weariness, where everything is permitted and nothing appreciated."

Hey, I just read his one about China. I enjoyed it well enough, but feel like I might enjoy his ones on the Pacific islands better (because he lived on the Pacific islands for at least a few years). Please be sure to post your final review of it too.

On the up side, I got a call today that I won a gift card from my public library's summer reading program.  I think it's cool that there's an adult version, too!

Congratulations on your win!  My library is having a bingo for adult readers.  One claims squares by fulfilling assigned tasks such as :

Read a memoir

Read a mystery

Read a book published in 2013

Visit the local museum and identify a display you saw

Read a book recommended by a librarian (note book title and librarian)

Read for an hour in a local park (note book read and park name)

and so on ...

The grand prize is a Kindle.  Lesser prizes are gift certificates to the local park district.

I have got quite a few books going at the moment, so I thought, "What the heck. What's one more?" So I started Getting Stoned with Savages: A Trip Through the Islands of Fiji and Vanuatu, by J. Maarten Troost. So far, it has been very entertaining.

I read his The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific some years ago.  It was entertaining though I prefer Bill Bryson's travel stories.

Regards,

Kareni

I have finished a few quick reads.

Lovely in Her Bones by Sharyn McCrumb--In this book Elizabth MacPherson goes on her first archaeological dig.

Midnight Awakening by Lara Adrian--the third book in the Midnight Breed series.

Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo--I couldn't resist the title. Almost done and enjoyable. After a bitter divorce the main character, an Austen scholar, travels to England in search of the start of a new life.

I read the first two books of a new fantasy/paranormal series by J. C. Daniels (a pseudonym for Shiloh Walker) and enjoyed them both.

Blade Song

Night Blade (Colbana Files)

I was invested in the story and characters and cried at one point.  Drats -- book three isn't due out until January and seems only to be forthcoming on the Kindle.

Here's the blurb from book 1:  "Kit Colbana—half breed, assassin, thief, jack of all trades—has a new job: track down the missing ward of one of the local alpha shapeshifters. It should be a piece of cake. So why is she so nervous? It probably has something to do with the insanity that happens when you deal with shifters—especially sexy ones who come bearing promises of easy jobs and easier money. Or maybe it’s all the other missing kids that Kit discovers while working the case, or the way her gut keeps screaming she’s gotten in over her head. Or maybe it’s because if she fails—she’s dead. If she can stay just one step ahead, she should be okay. Maybe she’ll even live long to collect her fee…"

I also read and enjoyed Jennifer Ashley's Bodyguard: Shifters Unbound.

Regards,

Kareni

I feel like I am caught in an episode of the Twilight Zone where my life can't move on until I finish reading The Count of Monte Cristo, but the catch is that more chapters keep getting added to the end of the book.   I could swear the table of contents ended at chapter 102, and I was doing a marathon read yesterday to finish but chapter 103 followed, then 104.  Here I am at chapter 108 and now the table of contents lists a total of 117 chapters.

This is a problem unique to reading an e-book as you have no sense of how long a book really is.  It tells me I am 93% through the book but it doesn't give me any scale -- 93% of what?!!  

If I'm not done by Sunday y'all may need to send an extraction team to rescue me from 19th century France.

I feel like I am caught in an episode of the Twilight Zone where my life can't move on until I finish reading The Count of Monte Cristo, but the catch is that more chapters keep getting added to the end of the book.   I could swear the table of contents ended at chapter 102, and I was doing a marathon read yesterday to finish but chapter 103 followed, then 104.  Here I am at chapter 108 and now the table of contents lists a total of 117 chapters.

This is a problem unique to reading an e-book as you have no sense of how long a book really is.  It tells me I am 93% through the book but it doesn't give me any scale -- 93% of what?!!  

If I'm not done by Sunday y'all may need to send an extraction team to rescue me from 19th century France.

Countception. ;) :lol:

On amazon, a hard copy shows 117 chapters. I would check my hard copy too, but it's not nearby....

Finished recently:

#37 Buried in a Bog by Sheila Connolly - a new cozy mystery set in County Cork, Ireland. It was a fairly quick and enjoyable read, though the way it all turned out seemed a bit implausible, and I didn't really like the main character. But I think I might try the next in the series when it comes out.

#38 Building Her House: Commonsensical Wisdom for Christian Women by Nancy Wilson - I found this collection of short essays very encouraging.

#39 The Code of the Woosters: Jeeves to the Rescue by P. G. Wodehouse (audiobook) - Bertie's misadventures always make me smile, and I love Jonathan Cecil's renditions of the various characters, especially Jeeves.

Faust Part 2 is still occupying my reading, as it veers from one thing to the next. One moment it's a satire on governments' misuse of paper currency; the next, we're visiting the Land of Neoplatonic Forms to fish out Helen of Troy. I have the constant nagging feeling that I don't really understand what's going on.

I went on vacation this week so I relied again on good old Agatha Christie for a collection of short stories, The Golden Ball and Other Stories.  She's always good for a fun tale and I needed something easy.  I also read Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.  It was so sad and beautiful at the same time.  The point of view of a Japanese woman before, during and after WW2 was something I haden't read before.

This year I have decided to read what is commonly decided to be the best of 20th Century Literature.  I'm starting to have a hard time because my library doesn't seem to carry a lot of what is on the Top 25 lists I've found on the internet and I'm exhausting what they do have.  I've started to rely a lot more in inter-library loans and have even had to buy some titles.  Since we're only halfway through the year, I am forseeing this as a big problems in the next few months.  

1 - All The King's Men â€“ Robert Penn Warren 
2 - A Stranger in a Strange Land â€“ Robert Heinlein
3 - A Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

4 - Catcher in the Rye â€“ J.D. Salinger
5 - Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
6 - The Grapes of Wrath â€“ John Steinbeck
7 – Murder on the Orient Express â€“ Agatha Christie
8 – The Illustrated Man â€“ Ray Bradbury
9 – The Great Gatsby â€“ F. Scott Fitzgerald
10 – The Hiding Place â€“ Corrie Ten Boom
11 – The Square Foot Garden â€“ Mel Bartholomew
12 - Catch-22- Joseph Heller
13 - Heart of Darkness- Joseph Conrad
14 - Partners in Crime - Agatha Christie

15 - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
16 -O, Pioneers!- Willa Cather
17 - Miss Marple - The Complete Short Story Collection - Agatha Christie
18 - Ringworld - Larry Niven
19 - Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man- James Joyce
20 - Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut
21 - To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
22 - Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin
23 - The Adventures of Augie March - Saul Bellow
24 - The War of the Worlds- H.G Wells
25 - The Girl with the Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier 
26 - The Golden Ball and Other Stories - Agatha Christie
27 - Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

Today, I finished Traveling With Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor.  While Traveling With Pomegranates might make an interesting family story, it just didn't feel like it really needed to be published. 

Nothing. ever. happened. 

At all. 

In the whole book. 

The two, beyond self-absorbed and overly-analytical, make a beautiful and fascinating place seem dull and desperate.  I found Ann's endless whining about the rejection letter to be grating and frustrating.  Additionally, Sue's constant need to analyze every. single. thing. wore thin.  Every dream, every glance, every artifact, meant something important.  More than once I felt like screaming, sometimes a dream is just a dream.  Geez. 

In the end, I just didn't care about either woman.  The writing felt far too sanitized and forced, like neither was even bothering to be honest with herself about... something.   Also, Ann's bumbling epiphany that she is supposed to be a writer fell flat for me.  It was as if she coerced the "signs" into telling her that's what she should have been doing all along.  I wanted to tell her that if you want something, I mean really want something, you go after it with your whole being.  Instead, for all her rationalizing that it wasn't the case, it still felt like she just tripped into writing because she didn't know what else to do after being rejected (by ONE stinking grad program, by the way).  The two seem determined to create whatever internal drama that transpires in this book simply because their own lives and travels lack any of the real variety.  For much of the book, I found myself wondering how the two would react in an actual crisis instead of the ones they fabricated for themselves in their own little heads.  It was as if the Kidd's wanted this to be a mother-daughter version of Eat, Pray, Love but fell far, far from the mark. 

Completed So Far

1. Best Friends by Samantha Glen
2. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien
3. The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell by Bruce Coston
4. Nim Chimpsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human by Elizabeth Hess
5. Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine
6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim
7. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney
8. The Odyssey by Homer (Fagles translation)
9. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
10. The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling by Quinn Cummings
11. Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson
12. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
13. Tales of an African Vet by Dr. Roy Aronson
14. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
15. The Romanovs: The Final Chapter by Robert K. Massie
16. Kisses From Katie by Katie Katie Davis
17. Iguanas for Dummies by Melissa Kaplan
18. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
19. Zoo by James Patterson
20. St. Lucy's School for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell
21. Russian Tortoises in Captivity by Jerry D. Fife
22. Leopard Geckos for Dummies by Liz Palika
23. The 8th Confession by James Patterson
24. Leopard Geckos: Caring for Your New Pet by Casey Watkins
25. The Ultimate Guide to Leopard Geckos by Phoenix Hayes Simmons
26. 9th Judgement by James Patterson
27. 10th Anniversary by James Patterson
28. 11th Hour by James Patterson
29. 12th of Never by James Patterson
30. Chasing Science at Sea: Racing Hurricanes, Stalking Sharks, and Living Undersea With Ocean Experts by Ellen J. Prager
31. Dolphin Mysteries: Unlocking the Secrets of Communication by Kathleen M. Dudzinski & Toni Frohoff
32. The Greeening by S. Brubaker
33. No Touch Monkey! by Ayun Halliday
34. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

35. Beating Dyspraxia with a Hop, Skip, and a Jump by Geoff Platt

36. Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela

37. Traveling With Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor

Still in fluffy paranormal mode reading Kelly Meding's Dreg City Series and finished Three Days to Dead, As Lie the Dead and Another Kind of Dead in the past week.  Currently reading the 4th book - Wrong Side of Dead.   Maybe tomorrow I'll be ready to begin something substantial. 

Today I finished The Stranger by Albert Camus.  I hadn't read it before and I. Absolutely. Loved. It.  I don't re-read very often but I'm already thinking that I want to read it again and marinate in it a bit more.  

Completed So Far

1. Best Friends by Samantha Glen
2. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien
3. The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell by Bruce Coston
4. Nim Chimpsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human by Elizabeth Hess
5. Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine
6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim
7. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney
8. The Odyssey by Homer (Fagles translation)
9. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
10. The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling by Quinn Cummings
11. Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson
12. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
13. Tales of an African Vet by Dr. Roy Aronson
14. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
15. The Romanovs: The Final Chapter by Robert K. Massie
16. Kisses From Katie by Katie Katie Davis
17. Iguanas for Dummies by Melissa Kaplan
18. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
19. Zoo by James Patterson
20. St. Lucy's School for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell
21. Russian Tortoises in Captivity by Jerry D. Fife
22. Leopard Geckos for Dummies by Liz Palika
23. The 8th Confession by James Patterson
24. Leopard Geckos: Caring for Your New Pet by Casey Watkins
25. The Ultimate Guide to Leopard Geckos by Phoenix Hayes Simmons
26. 9th Judgement by James Patterson
27. 10th Anniversary by James Patterson
28. 11th Hour by James Patterson
29. 12th of Never by James Patterson

30. The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World by Eric Weiner
31. Chasing Science at Sea: Racing Hurricanes, Stalking Sharks, and Living Undersea With Ocean Experts by Ellen J. Prager
32. Dolphin Mysteries: Unlocking the Secrets of Communication by Kathleen M. Dudzinski & Toni Frohoff
33. The Greeening by S. Brubaker
34. No Touch Monkey! by Ayun Halliday
35. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

36. Beating Dyspraxia with a Hop, Skip, and a Jump by Geoff Platt

37. Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela

38. Traveling With Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor

39. The Stranger by Albert Camus