Menu

What is your thoughts on 1st grade Language Arts?

My 7 year old son is a very beginning reader (Think 1st set of Bob Books) and I would like your thoughts on Language Arts for this fall. I did some research and see a lot of people use WWE, FLL etc... I don't want to use these programs. I have in the past and didn't enjoy them and I don't want to repeat that experience. Maybe I don't even need anything else. Here is what I have planned so far...

Reading: Dancing Bears (This is a new program for me so we'll see how it goes)

Explode the Code

Handwriting: Pentime Grade 2

Writing: No plans at this time, maybe second semester???

Spelling: No plans at this time, maybe second semester??? (Maybe Rod and Staff???)

Should I be adding in more even though he is so new to reading? I feel like he should write more but I don't feel like WWE is the answer as it looks too advanced for him. I am not hardcore, but I lean towards Charlotte Mason methodology but I am not opposed to textbooks for a few subjects. Any thoughts?

I think it's fine to focus on reading and handwriting for a first grader. That's totally perfect. I assume you're reading books aloud, so that's literature. That's plenty. Definitely don't do spelling if he's not reading yet.

If I could go back in time, I would a) stress less about figuring out what to do for first and second grade language arts and b ) use Brave Writer's The Wand. Ah well.

Sounds great to me. I would definitely focus on the reading and the handwriting for LA. We did have copywork also. It was once a week and he copied his memory verse. In the first few months, I let him do it over 2 days. Once he has a good grasp on handwriting, you could add that. But, I don't think you need to. :)

My ds will be first in the fall. I am planning to focus primarily on phonics and handwriting. I plan to do WWE/FLL with him but won't add spelling until he is reading well.

I think your plan to stick with the basics until he is reading well is a solid plan. WWE idea for first is basic copywork and oral narrations-- you could add just the idea in for second semester if his reading is progressing well if you wanted.

Phonics is definitely the most important thing at this point. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I started my son with Spalding when he was in his "K" year, and it was wonderful.  Just learning to form his letters correctly, no reading pressure, just learning the sounds the letters make. I read to him all the time, of course, but I did not make him read to me at all until this summer with a year and a half of Spalding under his belt.  Surprise!  He magically reads!  I would definitely check out The Writing Road to Reading.  It couldn't be more gentle or more complete.  :hurray:

I don't do writing or spelling with my 1st graders either.  I also didn't enjoy WWE workbooks and I knew I wouldn't like FLL either.  We sped through HWT and when those workbooks were finished, I had my kids do copywork daily.  I would also find a good read-aloud and have them narrate it a few times a week for "composition", like WWE only doing my own thing.

I start spelling in 2nd grade with R&S spelling 3,not because I think it is necessary, but because they always want to do more school, so it makes a nice filler at that age.  I start grammar in 3rd grade with R&S English 3.

For my daughter I am just doing Logic of English Foundations, within that she is working on penmanship, phonemic awareness, reading and some spelling. I also read books to her as well. I am not starting any formal writing or grammar until she is reading solidly. I did start ds w/ WWE but I believe that was a mistake. The point of copywork is for them to internalize the structure of solid writing and start to learn by imitation how to write well. If they start it before they are able to read well it is really more of an art lesson then a writing lesson. I imagine by second semester that we will start some basic copywork and grammar through copywork but my focus is on the reading and penmanship at this point.

I think that is perfectly fine. I'm trying FLL for the first time this year with my 1st grader, and I'm not really liking it yet. I'm going to stick with it for a bit and give it an honest try....but I understand.

My ds wants to do WWE and I like it, but I don't feel he's reading well enough yet. I'm going to try WRTR  along with ETC and any handwriting. That will be his spelling as well. I don't usually separate phonics/spelling/handwriting. I'm just focusing on his learning to read. My ds is at about the same level of reading as yours. So reading and math will be my priority.

And lots of reading aloud picture books and chapter books. I have a few plans for projects with our reading, but only because my ds enjoys activities like that.

One thing for writing you may like is the Bravewriter Jot It Down. It could easily take you through more than one year. IMO Jot It Down plus some phonics/spelling/handwriting and lots of read alouds would make a complete 1st grade. Jot It Down could even be used for 2nd grade.

I don't really see much of a need  for grammar in 1st. I'm really rethinking how to implement the FLL.