Menu

I am SUCH a pushover...(World War Z content)

Seasider

And that's why I'm stirring here, waiting for the midnight showing of World War Z to begin.

Of course I am not sitting with my son. He's sitting a few rows down with his crew. He is grounded from driving (with good reason) but he did a really big nice thing for his dad today. So I am the Chauffeur Incognito.

Ah, well, I wanted to see it anyway. And I don't have to share the popcorn :D

I thought it was good/okay. My son told me it was based on a book, but I have not read it. I think it's one of those stories that you don't get the full depth of without reading the original material.

Of course, the flip side to that is when you love the book you read first and the film adaptation wrecks the story!

Anyway, it was pretty intense, lots of run-for-your-life action right from the get go. It made me think about the difference between handling a crisis situation as a parent with kids to protect versus the whole rugged individual thing.

At times it was difficult to hear/understand the dialogue (thought it was maybe my old tired ears but my son said the same thing). There were parts of the story that begged a more thorough explanation, which I assume were detailed in the book.

I am interested to hear the opinions of those who did read the book first. And I'm going to put it on hold at the library.

I don't think it was bad. But I also saw Man of Steel this week and I think my theater dollars were better spent on that one. Don't think there's been a Superman thread yet...

I loved the book. It is much more detailed, much more explorative of the psychology of world-wide disaster than I think any movie could properly portray. I also liked how the book was very much a commentary on contemporary world politics without any kind of preachiness. The book itself is told in a journalistic style, the framing device being a journalist who goes around the world interviewing various key players and individuals involved in various stages and incidents of "World War Z."

I was very impressed with the book, and I say that rarely. (Caveat: if you do read WWZ and really like it, you'll be sorely disappointed in Brooks' other zombie book "Zombie Survival Guide.")

I didn't know it was based on a book! Interesting...

I haven't seen it, either. I just saw this thread and wanted to see what people were saying... it is funny, though, because I totally couldn't remember the who the main actor was when I saw the preview for it (at Star Trek or something? Idk) ... I just was like, 'Who is that guy? Hasn't he been in something?' :lol:

It's zombies, right? If so, I must say it looks better than most of the zombie movies that I have seen come out... it has piqued my interest, but I doubt we'll see it in the theater.

I thought it was good/okay. My son told me it was based on a book, but I have not read it. I think it's one of those stories that you don't get the full depth of without reading the original material.

Of course, the flip side to that is when you love the book you read first and the film adaptation wrecks the story!

Anyway, it was pretty intense, lots of run-for-your-life action right from the get go. It made me think about the difference between handling a crisis situation as a parent with kids to protect versus the whole rugged individual thing.

At times it was difficult to hear/understand the dialogue (thought it was maybe my old tired ears but my son said the same thing). There were parts of the story that begged a more thorough explanation, which I assume were detailed in the book.

I am interested to hear the opinions of those who did read the book first. And I'm going to put it on hold at the library.

I don't think it was bad. But I also saw Man of Steel this week and I think my theater dollars were better spent on that one. Don't think there's been a Superman thread yet...

I was thoroughly unimpressed with the Superman movie. We got our tickets for last Thursday night for free, so we went -- we probably would have gone anyway, because that's our genre of choice lol... but I just was totally unimpressed. :glare: It's like it is completely impossible for them to make a decent Superman movie. But I won't get into all that here - if someone starts a thread on it, I'll jump in there. :)

I loved the book. It is much more detailed, much more explorative of the psychology of world-wide disaster than I think any movie could properly portray. I also liked how the book was very much a commentary on contemporary world politics without any kind of preachiness. The book itself is told in a journalistic style, the framing device being a journalist who goes around the world interviewing various key players and individuals involved in various stages and incidents of "World War Z."

I was very impressed with the book, and I say that rarely. (Caveat: if you do read WWZ and really like it, you'll be sorely disappointed in Brooks' other zombie book "Zombie Survival Guide.")

I really enjoyed the book. The movie previews look almost nothing like the book to the point that I am really not sure that I am interested in seeing it at all.

ETA: For those who do not know, the book takes place as the world maybe starts to recover from the zombie apocalypse. It focuses on a UN worker who interviews several survivors from different parts of the world about their experiences during the decade long global disaster.

I agree. I am really, really NOT into zombies, never wanted to read zombie lit or anything like it. A friend kept telling me that I really would like the book. Because I trust her opinion, I finally read the book & really enjoyed it. I found it fascinating to read the political/country angles about how different places & groups reacted to the global outbreak. So, to me, it was much more of an analytical novel about politics, quarantines, how outbreaks spread, how various gov't styles would react in certain situations, etc.... Yeah, it had some zombie stuff (all the gross details you'd expect), but much less of that than the analytical stuff. So, my friend was right -- I did like it & I think it was because it was much less gross & much more analytical than I expected.

That said, I haven't even seen a preview for the movie yet. I'm guessing (afraid) they focused on the zombies during the movie, rather than the political analysis (going for more action rather than a 'duller' plot). If that's the case, I have no interest in the movie. Zombies gross me out & I don't want to watch them in all their 20-ft. high glory on a movie screen (or however tall a movie screen is). LOL. (However, I will be totally contradictory & admit that I wish I had seen

when it was in theaters. It's the only zombie movie I can truly say that I wish I would have seen. It just looks so funny & seems like Woody Harrelson would be perfect in his role. LOL.)

I agree. I am really, really NOT into zombies, never wanted to read zombie lit or anything like it. A friend kept telling me that I really would like the book. Because I trust her opinion, I finally read the book & really enjoyed it. I found it fascinating to read the political/country angles about how different places & groups reacted to the global outbreak. So, to me, it was much more of an analytical novel about politics, quarantines, how outbreaks spread, how various gov't styles would react in certain situations, etc.... Yeah, it had some zombie stuff (all the gross details you'd expect), but much less of that than the analytical stuff. So, my friend was right -- I did like it & I think it was because it was much less gross & much more analytical than I expected.

That said, I haven't even seen a preview for the movie yet. I'm guessing (afraid) they focused on the zombies during the movie, rather than the political analysis (going for more action rather than a 'duller' plot). If that's the case, I have no interest in the movie. Zombies gross me out & I don't want to watch them in all their 20-ft. high glory on a movie screen (or however tall a movie screen is). LOL. (However, I will be totally contradictory & admit that I wish I had seen

when it was in theaters. It's the only zombie movie I can truly say that I wish I would have seen. It just looks so funny & seems like Woody Harrelson would be perfect in his role. LOL.)

I absolutely agree with your assessment of the book. It was the political/social angle that kept me turning page after page after page. Many of the interviews that focused on the medical aspects and responses were far more chilling and intriguing that the interviews that were with the "front-line soldier" types.

I must admit, too, that I gave a bit of a cheer at the section that describes northern Canada as a refuge because zombies freeze and can't move and so they're easy to kill. I thought, "yay!!! Nine of months of winter is worth something after all!!" And for the other 3 months, well... I think I'd rather fend off zombies than the mosquitos. At least with the zombies, I have a fighting chance. :laugh:

ETA: This thread is making me want to go read it again! :)

I also really enjoyed the book and had pretty much decided I didn't want to see the movie. But, now you all have got me reconsidering...

I wish someone would make a movie based on the book Feed by Mira Grant. I think it would make an Awesome movie (along with the other 2 books in the series).

@Audrey - Ha! It would take a large population of zombies for me to even consider signing on for 9 months of winter! But when the apocalypse happens, at least I know which direction to flee.

You have all sealed it, I must read the book. I guess a lot of others feel the same way - my library hold status is number 96 on 21 copies. I do have a dystopian series waiting in the wings so at least I'll have something to read in the meantime.

One thing I was thinking from the movie - the time they spent in Jerusalem was so short, and the conversation took place on the move - I really didn't feel like I fully understood what transpired there. I trust the book will elaborate on that along with many other things. I'd like to know more about his wife, what's her background.

I am one who would never have selected a zombie book but at this point I'm too intrigued to not read it!

@Audrey - Ha! It would take a large population of zombies for me to even consider signing on for 9 months of winter! But when the apocalypse happens, at least I know which direction to flee.

You have all sealed it, I must read the book. I guess a lot of others feel the same way - my library hold status is number 96 on 21 copies. I do have a dystopian series waiting in the wings so at least I'll have something to read in the meantime.

One thing I was thinking from the movie - the time they spent in Jerusalem was so short, and the conversation took place on the move - I really didn't feel like I fully understood what transpired there. I trust the book will elaborate on that along with many other things. I'd like to know more about his wife, what's her background.

I am one who would never have selected a zombie book but at this point I'm too intrigued to not read it!

So, we went to see it last night. Err...the main character in the movie *does not exist* in the book. So, if you expect the book to expound upon the movie, then you might be disappointed in the book. The movie is *nothing* like the book.

Read the book synopsis from the author:

http://maxbrooks.com/books-wwz.php

In the book's framework: the book is a collection of stories gathered by the author who traveled to various places to capture stories from survivors of the decade long zombie war.

Here is another article that might help explain:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/06/ten-characters-i-love-but-dont-expect-to-see-in-world-war-z

I liked the movie okay, but it was definitely an action/adventure/contagion type of movie. I am not sure why they optioned the book or took its name?

Just got home from seeing it with DH and DD. I hate zombies. I set my mind on the fact that they were not undead zombies; they were infected and symptomatic. That made the zombie aspect tolerable and I can say that I liked it. Now though, I think I want to read the book.