Menu

Seriously Paula Deen?

gingersmom

But she still doesn't get it. I cannot believe that she doesn't have someone in her life who would tell her before going on the Today Show yesterday that yes, the N word is seen as wrong and racist. How could she say, after all this hoopla, that she "doesn't know" if it's seen as offensive? !!??!!? If it weren't seen as offensive, people wouldn't be talking about it, fer cryin' out loud.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But she still doesn't get it. I cannot believe that she doesn't have someone in her life who would tell her before going on the Today Show yesterday that yes, the N word is seen as wrong and racist. How could she say, after all this hoopla, that she "doesn't know" if it's seen as offensive? !!??!!? If it weren't seen as offensive, people wouldn't be talking about it, fer cryin' out loud.

Yes...kind of hard to miss, isn't it? As a guy I heard on the radio put it, "You ask how you're supposed to know something is offensive. How about this as a possible clue...you got fired from all your jobs!"

Peaceful, it isn't racist when you are using it to describe someone specific to someone. It is the constant *unnecessary* descriptors, *especially* when connected with another comment. For example, "this girl at work, Ronda, she is a black but she is a hard worker!" I have heard comments just like this come out of people's mouths who were probably raised similar to PD. They do not understand how racist it sounds. "But, I was complimenting her!" Yes, while insulting everyone else and making an assumption about everyone else.

Adrian is from east Texas. If you don't know what that means, I don't know where to begin.

He is less racist than many of his relatives; he sees that as "not" racist. Yet racial comments and slurs were not infrequent from him. People's ethnicity and color were common descriptors when it was unneccary. Assumptions were made about character, work ethic, literacy, and even hygiene.

It was a way of thinking/perceiving people and he didn't know how pervasive and insidious the thinking is.

That's what the whole PD mess reminds me of. And WHO is her publicist??? They should have told her to shut the front door and not say anything at all to anyone as this has developed.

It could be that she is surrounded by underlings who were hesitant to speak up for fear of losing their livelihood. It's part of the hostile work environment dynamic. Still in this day and age, she should have picked up on it.

There was a story a week or so ago about an inappropriate "joke" made on a radio show. You can read about it here:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/georgia-radio-hosts-fired-mocking-nfl-player-als/story?id=19428272#.Uc2lx_nVB6k

I find that there is a stark contrast between the apologies made by these men and PD's so-called apologies. These men "get it", they take responsibility for their own poor judgment, as evidenced by these tweets:

"My apologies to everyone. It was a stupid attempt at humor that backfired. Emphasis on stupid," Cellini tweeted.

Noting that they "all got wacked" from their jobs, Cellini said, "got what I deserved." He also wrote that he personally apologized to Gleason and was "profoundly sorry."

"I have so many people I have to apologize to. I know this is not who I am...but it is who I am today," Dimino tweeted. "An apology here means nothing if I don't reach out to all the people I need to. I am in that process as we speak. Friends and family and most importantly those I know I hurt."

"I love the people and city of New Orleans, always have, always will, @team_gleason [Gleason's Twitter account] I will work tirelessly to make this up to you," Shapiro wrote.

"What is so ironic is that I went to Tulane, love New Orleans and love the @steve_gleason story, what a moronic 2 mins, I am truly sorry," he continued. "ALS is not a joke, bit or game."

Yes, she was envisioning an entire staff of black gentlemen men in nice white suits, which she thought looked sophisticated and would like to replicate. Not an entire staff of gentlemen of various races and ethnicities. I guess that doesn't look as sophisticated. You don't see the meaning inherent in that? That's not a construct of the modern world we live in; it's a throwback to the bad old days.

I see it more as a visual aesthetic she was thinking about, and then realized the social implications.

It is kind of like the waitresses in short shorts at Hooters restaurants. Never in a million years would they hire an a man or an overweight woman as a waitperson. Are there social implications? From the Wikipedia article about Hooters: Michigan is the only state that includes height and weight as bounds for non-discrimination in hiring... In employment discrimination law in the United States, employers are generally allowed to consider characteristics that would otherwise be discriminatory if they are bona fide occupational qualifications (BFOQ). For example, a manufacturer of men's clothing may lawfully advertise for male models. Hooters has argued a BFOQ defense, which applies when the “essence of the business operation would be undermined if the business eliminated its discriminatory policyâ€.