Menu

After Getting Started With Latin...

BakersDozen

My 12yo and 10yo completed this book and really liked it (it is now on my Top 10 homeschool book choices!). I need a program that will build on what they learned this last year. Any recommendations? What we really loved was that it was completely self-directed and took little time out of the day. I liked that it involved complete sentences as opposed to just learning roots. Thanks!!

This question comes up about once every school term. I've been searching too. There is, apparently, nothing else like GSWL. Most people go on to materials meant for middle school or high school. Some options are grammar-first, some are more immersion/vocab, others are a combination of grammar+vocab/reading. You have to choose what appeals to you.

Here are the options:

1. Lively Latin - expensive, colourful, includes Roman history.

2. Galore Park's Latin Prep - one of those grammar+vocab/reading option. Secular, humourous and fairly affordable.

3. Latin For The New Millennium - high-school level course. Grammar + Reading. Expensive. I like the samples of this very much.

4. Wheelock's Latin - a college-level course, so just what a rigourous homeschooler would want. ;) Most affordable option, plus it comes with the largest number of free and affordable online helps.

5. Lingua Latina - an immersion book, but it also teaches the grammar. Seems to me to be a difficult option for a parent who hasn't learnt Latin themselves.

6. Henle Latin - high-school level course. Not secular. Lots of grammar and a controlled vocabulary. Helps available from Memoria Press and Mother of Divine Grace.

7. Latin Alive - middle-school level. Grammar-first. Not sure if it is secular.

DD went on to Latin's Not So Tough, Level 3, after GSWL, at age 10. Level 3's grammar was actually too easy for her (nothing new after GSWL), but the vocabulary is somewhat different. I didn't want her to go into Level 4 without knowing all the vocab taught in Level 3. She did quite well and went on to Level 4.

I think I am going to attempt to use the book that is posted free through Yahoo groups. The group is Latinbk1...you can't beat free and it looks pretty good!

I have this, too, and I cannot determine whether this is a grammar-first, or reading-first, or a hybrid approach. From the first couple of lessons, it appeared to be a reading-first approach, so I put it aside for something else. Do you have any idea what it is?

We moved from GSWL (♥♥♥) to Galore Park's Latin Prep I. It's been an easy transition, though Indy preferred GSWL. It's not a terribly expensive program. I have a copy of the Latin Book that is available on the Yahoo Group (I found it at a flea market!) and it's rather dry IMO. It's good, just dry. I've been working through it myself. The bonus of course is that it's free. I've purchased LL (one your purchase you can log on to the website forever), and it's okay too, but I just wasn't a big fan and neither was Indy. I so wish the author of GSWL had more books after it!

Edit: After Indy finished Latin Prep I,II and III (he'll easily finish II and III next year), we'll move on to Wheelock's. I already have a copy of the book, workbook and Scribblers and Scribes and really like them, but want him to finish LP before moving on. The PP is right about LP, it is funny. It's chock full of weird British humor (that's not a knock, I love weird British humor!)

Edit: After Indy finished Latin Prep I,II and III (he'll easily finish II and III next year), we'll move on to Wheelock's. I already have a copy of the book, workbook and Scribblers and Scribes and really like them, but want him to finish LP before moving on. The PP is right about LP, it is funny. It's chock full of weird British humor (that's not a knock, I love weird British humor!)

Welcome to the weird.

ust so you are not surprised: LP book 3 took us by surprise. We were carrying on at the same pace as for 1 and 2, then half way through realised that we had not internalised the grammer properly. We went all the way back to the beginning of book 3 and completely re-did the first half.

L

Have you looked at the author of GSWL on line Latin course. It is free and he is up to about 50 of 73 lectures. It uses an old text which he says can be downloaded free somewhere or purchased cheaply. I think it is for adults although he says it is aimed at the home schooling community so maybe not.

edited to correct the auto correct my phone insists on. It has a very dirty mind and insists it should be home hooking not home schooling.