Menu

What would you serve with chicken pot pie? Also, some other main dishes...

Julie in CA

What would you serve with chicken pot pie to make it a complete meal? They cannot have salad or any raw veggies, or any fruit that has seeds or skin. Just bringing the pot pie on it's own will feel too sparse to them.

Along the same lines, what sides would you serve with these other main dishes? I have things I'd usually pair together, but I'm interested in hearing what other people would do:

Pulled pork sandwiches

Chicken cordon bleu

Grilled chicken

Marinated London Broil

Pot roast

Potato cheese chowder with bacon

Salisbury steak

This is ard without salad. Turns out I'm a salad slacker.

What would you serve with chicken pot pie to make it a complete meal? The whole point of chicken pot pie is that it's a complete meal all buy itself. Like with pizza, you add a salad or nothing!

Pulled pork sandwiches- roasted potato salad, baked beans

Chicken cordon bleu- asparagus, bread

Grilled chicken - pasta with sauce

Marinated London Broil - baked potatoes, steamed broccoli and cauliflower

Pot roast - potatoes, onions, and carrots and rolls

Potato cheese chowder with bacon - bread

Salisbury steak - mashed potatoes, green beans, gravy, bread

OK, so I'm a bread AND salad slacker because that's my answer to everything. You can always throw in a dessert if you think the sides look too light.

What would you serve with chicken pot pie to make it a complete meal? They cannot have salad or any raw veggies, or any fruit that has seeds or skin. Just bringing the pot pie on it's own will feel too sparse to them. Maybe steamed broccoli, cottage cheese, and homemade applesauce?

Along the same lines, what sides would you serve with these other main dishes? I have things I'd usually pair together, but I'm interested in hearing what other people would do:

Pulled pork sandwiches coleslaw and chips/french fries plus fresh fruit

Chicken cordon bleu No clue, LOL

Grilled chicken Roasted asparagus and some sort of rice

Marinated London Broil No ideas for this, either

Pot roast I always roast potatoes and carrots with mine. That's usually all we have if it's just us; for company, I'd put out a garden salad and fresh fruit platter too

Potato cheese chowder with bacon Oh yum! Salad and good crusty bread. And fruit. (Yeah, I'm real creative. Looks like my idea of "rounding out a meal" is salad and fruit, LOL)

Salisbury steak Mashed potatoes with either peas or carrots.

I don't know about anyone else, but my answers to "What would you serve with this" usually vary depending on if I were serving just my dh and boys, or if we had company. For company, I usually put out more different dishes, because, well, I dunno. I guess because that's part of my idea of hospitality; offering guests plenty of food choices. Plus I don't know other people's food preferences as well as my family's, so I'd want to make it more likely there'd be things they like by offering more variety.

I often find chicken pot pie doesn't really have a substantial amount of vegetable. So I would serve steamed green beans with it - or something else green, fresh and bright.

With pulled pork I would serve cole slaw.

I would also serve green beans with most of the other meals. I like Ina Garten's roasted brocolli with pine nuts. I love roasted Brussels sprouts, but not so much in the summer. I like cucumber salads, marinated vegetables and slaw. I love slices tomato and cucumber with rice vinegar. I think any of those meals just needs a good, real vegetable. It is hard when salad is out!

What would you serve with chicken pot pie to make it a complete meal? They cannot have salad or any raw veggies, or any fruit that has seeds or skin. Just bringing the pot pie on it's own will feel too sparse to them.

If your chicken pot pie already has veggies in it, then I would add fruit like canned peaches, canned pears with a little cinnamon, or a tropical fruit mix (frozen or the ones you buy in jars.) Everything else is in your pot pie.

Pulled pork sandwiches roasted sweet potato chunks (I shake cubed swt potatoes in a wee bit olive oil, garlic, salt, chili powder, and cinnamon. then bake)

Chicken cordon bleu basmati rice medly, steamed peas or other steamed veggie

Grilled chicken sauteed tomatoes (canned & peeled so their is no skin) and mushrooms over pasta or macaroni and cheese

Marinated London Broil baked potatoes, steamed vegetable, canned mandarin oranges

Pot roast, roasted potatoes and carrots, rolls

Potato cheese chowder with bacon, rolls or biscuits and peeled apple slices, deviled eggs

Salisbury steak mashed potatoes and gravy, chunky applesauce with cinnamon (homemade is better), steamed broccoli