Menu

Got an ipad but now I have questions :)

This is my first apple product. I want to use it to the fullest but I am not even sure how :001_rolleyes:

What apps do I want and why?

I wish there was a way to save screenshots from the internet into a folder (almost like a scrapbook for lists, ideas, etc). Is there a way to do this?

I wish there was a way to save/view word and pdf files....is there a way to make this happen?

Thanks ya'll

Screenshots - press the home button (the big center one) and the power button (the one in the right top corner) at the same time. Click. It's in your photos file.

Word files - email should let you see them, or you can buy Pages and open them in Pages.

Pdf files - there are TONS of app options for this, but the one most of us love is Notability.

Apps you want... It depends... I'll tell you a few of the ones we really like and use often...

Notability

Pages

iMovie

Smoovie

Dragonbox

Kindle

Mathboard

Numbers League

Haiku Deck

Brainpop

Musyc

Dinosaur Chess

My Script Calculator

Ticket to Ride

I wish there was a way to save screenshots from the internet into a folder (almost like a scrapbook for lists, ideas, etc). Is there a way to do this?

What you just described is Evernote.

Get on some blog mailing lists for free apps. I've been liking AppChronicles and SmartAppsforKids.

Snoop around iTunes. They have a section of Apple staff pics, etc.

Notability, definitely.

I am really looking forward to trying out the Homeschool Helper app for tracking completed work next year.

Also, consider a bluetooth keyboard case. The keyboard takes my iPad from nice to really, really useful. It has almost replaced my desktop machine entirely.

PDFs can be loaded into the ibooks app for viewing. There are a few different office viewer apps in itunes. I don't use word much, so I just use Dropbox to view them. (Since dropbox is a network file system, you do need internet to use it) I think pages may open word files as well, though the formatting may be off.

If you have the file on the ipad, use the box-with-arrow-pointing-out (open in...) menu to open the file in another app.

I have a HandyShell case and a separate Bluetooth keyboard. The keyboard gets used around the house, but I just use the on screen keyboard when I am out of the house. I like the way the HandyShell lets me view the ipad screen at multiple angles, and it's easy to curl up and watch coursera videos because the ridges on the back allow for several comfortable positions.

Hope this helps!

This is perfect....I had no idea I could do that. Thanks :)

I've had my iPad for more than two years and I didn't learn it until last week. The click (and the screenshot) takes place after you release both of the buttons at the same time. I'm only mentioning this because it took me an inordinate amount of time to figure that part out. *sigh* Some days...

Not an app, but definitely AppleTV. Best $100 I ever spent.

Also, Netflix plus all of the network apps (CBS, ABC, NBC) took care of most of our TV watching. It's like having a DVR without paying for it. Amazon's instant video app does not AirPlay on the AppleTV, but it does enable you to watch the free Prime videos on your iPad. There are a few shows on Amazon that aren't on Netflix.

Definitely a Bluetooth keyboard - keep in mind I'm saying this as one who does not own one, but it sure would be nice to have. Add to that list a networked/bluetooth/wifi printer. Again, I don't have one, but I wish I did.

My mom has the Numbers app (spreadsheets) and while it had a bit of a learning curve, she really likes it.

Otherwise when it comes to games we have fun ones (cut the rope, angry birds, etc), but also Math Bingo, Khan Academy, TED, Mad Libs, Tangrams, Starwalk, and Art Authority. I also use Bookpedia on my Mac to keep track of our personal library so I have Pocketpedia 3 on my iPad which is *extremely* helpful when I'm at HalfPrice Books and want to know if we own a book already. There's a wishlist function that also helps quite a bit. On the other hand, since HPB now has free WiFi, you could probably use Amazon's wishlists similarly. I don't know if it will work independent of the Bookpedia Mac app, though.

One other very helpful app: the TV Sideview app. We got a streaming BluRay player (instead of AppleTV), and if the remote is missing (not uncommon with a toddler who thinks all the remotes are phones), the Sideview app will act as a remote.

Also, not an app, but Guided Access is very helpful. It has to be enabled under the Settings, but you triple-click the home button, and it lets you lock the iPad onto one app. It can't be moved without a passcode, so it's nice when the toddler wants to "help" you read your email (or whatever) and insists on pushing the home button.

Adding a few more that I don't think have been mentioned. I've tried to note which are paid apps.

Wikipanion -- makes wiki pages easier to view on mobile devices

Dictionary.com -- pronounces words, has 'word of the day' features; fun [free wthe ads; paid for no ads]

Quizlet -- download premade flash cards or make your own; pronounces words in multiple languages (French accent is actually decent!)

Calculator HD -- emulates various types of calculators (printing, scientific) [paid, I think]

Sketchbook Express -- free version of top graphics program

Instapaper -- puts news articles from the web into a readable form, without the ads & junk [paid]

Flipboard -- gathers up web pages from all over and puts them in categories, like food, home, etc

One Tuner -- radio stations from all over the world; sort by genre, country, etc.

Dragon Dictation -- dictate (clearly & slowly) and app will write what you have said

Notes Plus -- integrates note-taking, graphics and audio [paid]. Evernote is similar

Plus, there are lots of educational apps and also games. I seem to have 160+ apps.

ETA You will probably want a stylus. Targus is one good brand, around $10.

Screenshots - press the home button (the big center one) and the power button (the one in the right top corner) at the same time. Click. It's in your photos file.

Also, not an app, but Guided Access is very helpful. It has to be enabled under the Settings, but you triple-click the home button, and it lets you lock the iPad onto one app. It can't be moved without a passcode, so it's nice when the toddler wants to "help" you read your email (or whatever) and insists on pushing the home button.

Thank you, both, for these two tips. I'll have to look at Guided Access for a teen who is supposed to be doing schoolwork, but is playing Asphalt 7 instead, lol.

Get on some blog mailing lists for free apps. I've been liking AppChronicles and SmartAppsforKids.

Snoop around iTunes. They have a section of Apple staff pics, etc.

I like AppShopper too. Many apps are offered fro free now and then, in order to boost rankings. AppShopper lists which are free on a particular day.

Aslo, if you have a chance, visit an Apple store and try out what is on the demo iPads. In my experience, staff usually put on some great new apps that I might not have discovered otherwise. My whole family loves our Apple store visits.

Apple stores also have a lot of free classes, not specifically for iPad, but a great deal -- classes are free. In my local store, Apple Camp has classes (three days) on movie making for kids 8-12. There are also lots of free classes for adults -- perhaps 'Discover Your iPad"?

https://www.apple.com/retail/learn/