Menu

Question for TN homeschoolers (cross post)

maddykate

We are possibly moving to the Chattanooga area later this summer and I am having a hard time figuring out all the homeschool laws there. I have always lived in very low reporting states, so TN is throwing me for a loop. Can someone break it down very simply for me? Also, do you have any suggestions for homeschool groups in that area?

Thanks so much!

It's fairly easy if you register with an Umbrella program. You CAN register with the school district but I don't know what that involves. I've never met anyone who has gone that route. When you register with an "Umbrella" school/program, you are legally considered a satellite branch of that school, and so you follow their requirements. We are registered with Homelife Academy and have to pay a yearly fee, submit our educational plan (subjects, texts, etc) for the year for each student, days homeschooled in the year, and semester grades - these are all done online. That's about it. They keep track of records, transcripts, and other things that might be needed from a guidance counselor. They do not require yearly standardized testing of any kind, but some programs do - just depends on the particular program. We have been happy with this Umbrella, but there are many in the state that you can choose from.

www.homelifeacademy.com has a lot of good information.

I'm not from Chattanooga, but I really love that area.

I live in West TN. Homeschooling in TN is simple. I don't know any one who uses the school district either. That route sounds more complicated and I prefer to avoid the school district when possible. I register with a local umbrella school and follow their requirements. The requirements are simple and easy to meet. Our umbrella school requires:

a yearly application with curriculum listed

grades submitted 4 times a year

standardized testing yearly starting in second or third grade

attend a once a year parent meeting/orientation

Most of the other umbrella schools that I have looked at require something similar or even less.

Suzanne

Hi OP --

I live in Middle Tennessee and have registered with my local school district (LEA) for the past three years. It is very straightforward. You have to file an annual statement of intent with some minimal information; it takes about 5 minutes to complete, plus the time to locate your own high school diploma. Then at the end of the year you have to complete the (rather baffling) attendance form by checking off 180 days of school, a.k.a 4 hours of instructional time.

Standardized testing is required in grade 5, 7 and 9 but we have not yet been through that process.

FWIW, my limited dealings with the LEA in my county have always been completely professional. They generally return my paperwork with a letter certifying home school enrollment within about a week.

This website may be useful: http://www.state.tn....uirements.shtml

Note the links on the side to the relevant forms and the list of home school coordinators in each county.

You can register with your school district or you can register with an umbrella school.

We register with a local b&m classical school which is very homeschool friendly. We complete an application ($75) which includes a curriculum/course of instruction list and submit grades and attendance 2x a year. Easy peasy.

We are in middle TN.

I register with the school district. We fill out a short application at the beginning of the year and turn in a calendar with our school days circled at the end of the year. They don't call, they don't show up at the door, and no grades are required. This year, my 5th grader took the writing assessment and the TCAP in the school she is zoned for. They made the experience as comfortable as they could for her, placing her in the classroom with an extra-friendly teacher, etc. We had a little bit a difficulty getting her scores back, but the office has been very cooperative. It does pay to research the county you are going to live in, as some districts are not as homeschool-friendly as others. However, try to get recent information. Many people shun registering in my county due to things that happened many years ago, and the hostility is no longer present. Feeding this fear is a bit of a hot button for me, and I think many umbrella schools make money off of fear instead of the services they offer. Another thing to consider is if you think your children will desire to play sports in the public schools. It is now law in TN that schools are obligated to let homeschoolers try out for the teams, but you must be registered with the district (not an umbrella school) and there are deadlines to register your intent to play.

Hi - You may want to check the csthea.org (Chattanooga Southeast Tennessee Homeschool Education Association) website. They have a great deal of information that may be helpful to you. Information about graduation, prom, sports, classes, support groups and may other things. I grew up in Chattanooga and can tell you that there is a multitude of things to do around here (or at least within a short driving distance).

We've registered through HomeLife Academy since we started homeschooling and if you are interested in using an umbrella school, I can highly recommend them. You only need to "interact" twice a year and everything can be done online. I notice that you will soon have some high schoolers. An umbrella school is nice for high school because they will provide transcripts for college applications. Keep in mind that when you are registered with an umbrella school, you are legally considered part of a private school and are not legally homeschoolers.

You'll also want to get familiar with the Tennessee lottery scholarships available for college as well as dual enrollment during high school junior and senior years.

Another thing to consider is if you think your children will desire to play sports in the public schools. It is now law in TN that schools are obligated to let homeschoolers try out for the teams, but you must be registered with the district (not an umbrella school) and there are deadlines to register your intent to play.

Hmm.... I know students registered with umbrellas that are playing on the local high school teams, under the new law.