Menu

overview of helpful standardized tests?

We are experiencing the "ceiling effect," and I am looking into some different standardized tests that are open to us. My state requires that the kids test (or do an "approved portfolio"), but they do not give a list of acceptable tests and they are not allowed to ask us the test results (per privacy statutes).

Stanford 10 at grade-level was a disappointment this year - so what are my options?

- test a year (or more) ahead?

- take a different test?

- forget the whole testing thing altogether and keep on doing what we're doing?

We've done zero testing for giftedness, and I don't think (?) that we're interested in that, right now. Looking ahead toward middle school, and hoping to have some options outlined for us. We are not wealthy people, and DH and I both definitely feel that academics are only a piece of the "whole person" as it were - that said, I'd like for them to ENJOY the CHALLENGE of some really hard "meat" academically, if I can swing it.

Talent search testing is another possibility, and at least opens up the possibility of whatever services the program offers (for most, it's online classes, maybe advisory support, and live classes/summer programs if your area has them-for us, that starts locally at 7th grade through TIPS-the EXPLORE, ACT, or SAT can also be used for other applications, because they're standard admissions tests-the EXPLORE for high school entry, the ACT/SAT for college entry). I jumped from doing grade level testing to the EXPLORE this year, and DD, for the first time, DIDN'T max out a single section (but it did definitely indicate that the level of acceleration she has is appropriate for her). The score report itself wasn't terribly useful, but BESTS sent their interpreted version and recommendations based on DD's scores, which was more useful. The cost really wasn't any higher than doing the SAT-10 locally would have been.

I know not all states accept talent search testing, but if there truly is no "approved" test, and no one has to see it anyway, you might as well do something that may actually be useful.

I've found the Woodcock-Johnson III achievement tests to be useful, as well as the Iowa Test of Basic Skills (given as an out of level test---we did two grades ahead, IIRC). Overall, I prefer the WJ-III, even though it was a bit pricier for us ($70) as it has to be given by a certified tester. It's quick, normed all the way up through college, and you get the results immediately.

You can get into the Duke TIP with a third or fourth grader as well and they have more free resources at that level (child has to requalify for their 7th grade). Each area of the country has a different university that is the "home" of the talent search program for that area, so you would want to see which one applies for your area.

This article was very helpful to me in understanding more about testing http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/tests_tell_us.htm.

The DORA and ADAM K-7 tests are computer adaptive, they move up and down grade levels.

They are reasonable priced, $20 per subject for the first child, $15 per child after the first child.

http://www.letsgolearn.com/

I second the DORA and ADAM tests. You can purchase them from the Homeschool Buyers Coop at a reduced rate: $15 (each) for the first test and $12 for additional tests (to be used by a different student or by the same student at a later time).

We used PASS last year, in 3rd grade. (I can't remember what it stands for other than Personalized Assessment. Make sure you're not looking up the one that starts with Palmetto). It's for grades 3-8. You aren't given a specific grade level but do a pretest to figure out what level to test on in the three sections. I think it cost $26 when my son took it last year. It was at-home and untimed. I sent the test to them for scoring. It worked well for that year. It was a nice super low-stress testing experience. However, I worried that math would actually hit the ceiling already this year since he's so advanced there. He's advanced in verbal as well, but I doubt he would hit the ceiling for that this year. He did the SCAT at the 6th grade level as part of the John Hopkins talent search this year. They have the child do a test 2-3 years above grade level. That was a very fast test and I'm not sure how much the results really mean, since there wasn't much to it. However, it was a good experience for him to take a test on the computer for the first time and to take it at a testing center for the first time as well. It was only two sections 22 minutes long each and he took far less. If it hadn't been for too many careless errors, he would have hit the ceiling on that test in math as well, but we were doing it for the formal computer testing experience.

Are the DORA and ADAM tests nationally normed standardized tests? I'm not very familiar with them and I'm having trouble finding out from the website, which makes me think they may not be. I know our state reqs specify a nationally normed standardized test that covers certain areas:

You will want to check the wording of your state requirements to make sure that the test you choose covers all needed bases for your state.

In asking around a bit for my own son, a GT consultant told me that kids who hit the ceiling on grade level tests can sometimes benefit from taking the same test 2 grade levels higher. If the Stanford test is a good value for you and other tests would be difficult to arrange or be too costly, maybe you can just give it at the higher level. I was always given above level achievement tests in school, and it wasn't intimidating other than having to go to a different classroom to take the test. HTH

The search feature on the HSBS doesn't work well to find these tests. I had trouble finding them because they are listed under "Let's Go Learn." Here are direct links to the tests. They are $15 through the HSBC (vs $20 from the Let's Go Learn website).

DORA Reading Test

ADAM Math Test (The DOMA Math Test is listed at the bottom of the same page.)